HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new USP9SD with the factory raised and rear adjustable and new USP9C with the factory 3-dots. Neither are bad sights but I shoot the Straight Eight like a boss compared to them, so I broke down and I ordered Heinie Straight Eights for both (the raised version for the USP9SD and the standard for the USP9C). I've gotten ahold of the MGW H&K Sight Pusher (H&K USP/P2000 SIGHT ADJUSTMENT TOOL | Brownells) [for only 50 bucks!]. I realize this is only going to do some of the sights, but I figured I'd use a pusher whenever possible rather than a punch. Given ya'll know a ton more about this than I, I wanted to run all of this by you to see if you think it makes sense.

For the USP9C, I am guessing the pusher will remove both front and rear OEM sight and help install the front Heinie sight. Then for the rear Heinie I assume I'd have to use some brass given its larger profile.

For the USP9SD, I am positive the pusher is useless for the rear sight and guessing, at best, it will work for removing the front sight. (don't have the SD on me and I've been waiting almost a month on the paperwork).

I worked at a gun shop for a few years. I'm no gun smith or expert by any means, but I've had a little experience doing this. I've not done the Heinie sights on an HK but I've done the more common Meprolights using a pusher, and I've watched the experienced guys install the raised Heinie sights on a few occasions and none ever required any tooling of the slide or sight. I've done some installs that have required using a punch. The way I was instructed to do it is to clamp it (rubber vice and taped), place a thick but removable tape over the sides of the sights to protect the lettering, and put a thick piece of leather between any gun part and the punch itself despite it being brass for extra protection (and it's always worked quite well). ...and then go slow. From what I've been told, the cracked slides and ruined sights generally happen when you are going too fast or you aren't making sure everything is lined up exactly as it should be.

Is there anything else I should expect?

For you guys that DIY, have you used any bonding agent or just the friction?

Finally, any inexpensive punch set you like? (or other products I should consider?)

Thankies!

·
Banned
18,626 Posts
The MGW will not work with front or rear sights on your USP9SD. You might or might not be able to use the sight pusher on the standard Heinie front sight. If the front sight is just a tad taller than the factory front sight, it won't fit the sight pusher.

I use this nylon-tipped punch.
DP Sight Punch DP Nylon Tipped Drift Punch for Rear Sights #098008 Detail Page

Blue Loctite on my Heinie tactical sights.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I have the straight 8's on my SD but had my LGS install them. It looks like they used a brass punch because I can see a tiny bit of yellowish color on the base of my front sight. Why doesn't someone just make a sight pusher exclusively for tactical sights?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use dawson precision front sight punch for my dovetail front sites and a brass punch for the rear.

Things to watch for with Heinie sights on a HK slide:

Slide cuts need the edges dresses with a file to get rid of the burrs and sharp edge. You need a small dovetail file to get into the corners of the the sights or you'll end up with the slide edge cutting into the corner of the sight dovetail instead of a proper press fit. Measure front dovetail depth before you remove material from the bottom of the front sight (as suggested by Heinie)- if you dont measure, your sight blade will drag. DONT USE STEEL ON STEEL TO INSTALL YOUR SIGHTS.

Dave Dawson has great youtube videos that cover the basics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I finally did it! :D

So I finally got the SD after only a short 45 day waiting period thanks to Maryland laws. I installed the Heinie sights today. The pusher worked for absolutely nothing so I resorted to brass and nylon punches. I feel pretty good about the job I did. I am posting a few pictures as I do have a few questions...
1) does it appear I got these as straight as possible?
2) is there any official process for sighting pistol sights or is it simply shoot it to see?
3) the rear sight's screw is not long enough to make contact with the slide...the actual sight's post is slightly shorter than the grooved track on the slide for the sight and so there is a smal amount of space between the sight and the frame. It can only be seen when you hold it up to a bright light and look directly at it like 5 inches away or less. I have read this is normal. I used Blue Loctite and it took an incredible amount of force to get the sight in there, so I am not worried about it coming out. But is this still a problem or does it indicate I did something wrong?

I got one down, and one to go. However, the next one is working on 60 days.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! :)

I almost forgot the pic of the actual gap....as you can see it is small. I'm guessing this is no big issue? Thank you! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks good. I'm really wanting to replace the factory adjustable sights on a USP-T 45 with a set of Heine raised straight eights asap. Target acquisition difference has to be like night and day.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
It does not matter.
THIS^

Usually, they go on just a tiny bit easier if you use the slide's dovetail cutout as a one-way-street: meaning that if you took them off from right to left, you put the new ones on from right to left also.

Keep in mind that this is good advice for HK pistol sights, but that there are other brands of pistols out there which may work differently.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It looks pretty good. You can always use a digital micrometer to get a good feel for center if you are unsure. And unfortunately, it basically is shoot to check, hit or miss... Otherwise you could try the boresighter option and get one of those laser boresighters that you shove into your barrel and check to see where your POA/POI is... Just another thing to spend money on, but not a bad idea if you think it will get used and if you might have more than one gun in any certain caliber (which it seems as tho you do).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts