1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Huh. I'll have to try that. I actually just sent off two magazines to HigherCapacity.US to get a 140mm magazine made up for 3-gun. I'm hoping to get 21 rounds. It will be nice to have a 1-piece, all metal big mag, but at $85 a piece (plus the butchering of 2 mags), some Arredondo extensions seem attractive. I wonder what the overall length with the Arrendondo extension is?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Sweet!!!
Looks like I need another P30L now... :43:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Todd's reply wasn't too comforting

ToddG said:
I tried this back in '09 during my P30 test. I abandoned it because it was far too easy for the extended baseplate to bump forward, binding the spring or even worse coming off and dumping the contents of the magazine.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Todd's reply wasn't too comforting
Agreed.
There's gotta be a way around that though...
Maybe some way to stake it in into place with a punch or something?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope! Definitely gonna try it. I woulda thought HK or an aftermarket would've come out with extended bases by now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, I got my 140mm magazine back from Higher Capacity. Using a Beretta 92 basepad locking plate, and cutting down the stock follower a little bit, I get 20 rounds--so 20+1. It's pretty tight at 20, so I don't think I'd reload to it in the middle of a stage unless I downloaded it to 19. I'm going to try out a few different springs, but it appears that a factory spring might just work OK. It won't have the service life that you would get out an un-modified mag, but the big-stick mag will only get used on stages where it would be needed, and I can always get more springs.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Well, I got my 140mm magazine back from Higher Capacity. Using a Beretta 92 basepad locking plate, and cutting down the stock follower a little bit, I get 20 rounds--so 20+1. It's pretty tight at 20, so I don't think I'd reload to it in the middle of a stage unless I downloaded it to 19. I'm going to try out a few different springs, but it appears that a factory spring might just work OK. It won't have the service life that you would get out an un-modified mag, but the big-stick mag will only get used on stages where it would be needed, and I can always get more springs.

That looks pretty solid.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think it's a better end-result than base-pads, but it is quite a bit more expensive. I have a magazine off at Taylor Freelance, to see if he can make a basepad (he makes some really nice ones for GLOCKs and M&Ps), but he has 'been working on it' for like 9 months now, so I'm starting to lose hope. It would be great if HK would make a factory extended mag. I think a 20 round factory P30 mag would sell well.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Razzman,

Awesome wear on the P30. I like it.

It's just nice to finally see a picture of someone who runs their gun instead of jerking off to it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Happy to report that it functioned perfectly at 20+1, and locked the slide back on empty--and that was with a well used / worn mag spring. I don't anticipate any problems using fresh, standard length magazine springs. I think I'll have another one made up--despite the cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting... Will keep in mind

1 - 16 of 16 Posts