HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all so I bought a brand new Mark 23 last week and had read that HK no longer chrome lined the barrels for these but to my eyes this looks to be chrome lined. Unless I’m missing something I thought these were no longer the case. My pistol has a CB date stamp so that should be for this year. Anyway what is the truth here? Am I missing something or does this look like chrome lining to you? Does someone with an older mark 23 have some pics we could compare?

·
Registered
Big hk fan
43 Posts
I feel your pain. My heart was broken when I found out the desert tan mk23 didn’t have a chrome lined bore! Why would that be? Not to mention the slide finish on the desert tan mk23’s is terrible it looks almost like grey and has no depth. I sold my desert tan mk23 because of that I mean it’s ultimately and inferior mark 23. No maritime finish no chrome line no thanks. It seems hk makes changes to there handguns and doesn’t feel the need to explain why they changed it which is frustrating.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When did they supposedly stop the chrome lining?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is it just the Mark 23 that no longer has a chrome lined barrel, or other pistols, too? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Big hk fan
43 Posts
That barrel could very well be chrome lined I’m not sure if they ever stopped chrome lining barrels other than the 500 desert tan mk23 from 2004-2005 which for some reason we’re not chrome lined. The second picture from the top looks like it is chrome? It looks similar to my “ki” mk23 which for sure is chrome

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Is it just the Mark 23 that no longer has a chrome lined barrel, or other pistols, too? Thanks
The Mark 23 was the only pistol in the H&K lineup that has/had a Chrome lined barrel. It’s not necessary or common in pistols. Just another of the Mark 23’s insanely overbuilt specs.
The SP5/MP5 nor any of the H&K roller locks (save some belt feds) have never had chrome lined barrels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Mark 23 was the only pistol in the H&K lineup that has/had a Chrome lined barrel. It’s not necessary or common in pistols. Just another of the Mark 23’s insanely overbuilt specs.
The SP5/MP5 nor any of the H&K roller locks (save some belt feds) have never had chrome lined barrels.
Thanks for the info! I truly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
As a poster above said, chrome lining is absolutely not necessary in barrels that shoot handgun calibers. The pressures and velocities of handgun rounds just aren't very hard on barrels made of modern barrel steels. There also is no gas port that can get eroded like on gas-operated rifles. Aside from the Mark 23 HK nitrides their handgun barrels, which like chrome-lining increases hardness and corrosion resistance. Chrome-lining may be superior to nitriding in those areas but that's up for debate.

Ultimately there's no functional difference between nitriding and chrome-lining in pistols except possibly in extreme use cases. If Mark 23 barrels are chrome-lined it's probably because that gun is explicitly built for extreme use cases.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know its not necessary for .45 to have chrome lining, especially on a gun thats likely going to sit in someone's safe and rarely get taken out to the range. What I take issue with is that this is a deliberate cost cutting measure that leaves the customer with a lesser product.

Now, I'm fine with the SP5/SP5K series have non chrome barrels. Why? MP5 barrels aren't chrome lined either. The SP5 series is simply accurately reproducing the feature-set of the authentic MP5 by also having an unlined barrel.

However, the MK23 from the get go was made with a chrome lined barrel. Both for contract guns and for civilian guns for the past 2 decades. While i'm 99% sure no one has ever shot out a MK23 barrel, the chrome lining was appreciated because it was accurate to the military version and it was part of HK's overbuilt specs that made the MK23 famous. That's why collectors paid for it. The fact that they have removed this feature yet are charging higher prices is anti-consumer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I know its not necessary for .45 to have chrome lining, especially on a gun thats likely going to sit in someone's safe and rarely get taken out to the range. What I take issue with is that this is a deliberate cost cutting measure that leaves the customer with a lesser product.

Now, I'm fine with the SP5/SP5K series have non chrome barrels. Why? MP5 barrels aren't chrome lined either. The SP5 series is simply accurately reproducing the feature-set of the authentic MP5 by also having an unlined barrel.

However, the MK23 from the get go was made with a chrome lined barrel. Both for contract guns and for civilian guns for the past 2 decades. While i'm 99% sure no one has ever shot out a MK23 barrel, the chrome lining was appreciated because it was accurate to the military version and it was part of HK's overbuilt specs that made the MK23 famous. That's why collectors paid for it. The fact that they have removed this feature yet are charging higher prices is anti-consumer.
Anti-consumer. Lol, welcome to HK?

I have no idea if the 2021 guns are chrome lined. But if you want a collector gun that is faithful to the military version you don't want a 2021 gun anyway.
Plenty of these guns are shooters, I have a KG "Mark" 23 that gets ridden hard and put away wet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anti-consumer. Lol, welcome to HK?

I have no idea if the 2021 guns are chrome lined. But if you want a collector gun that is faithful to the military version you don't want a 2021 gun anyway.
Plenty of these guns are shooters, I have a KG "Mark" 23 that gets ridden hard and put away wet.
HK=Hates Kustomers lol.

Yeah I'd love to have a KG MK23 with the mesmerizing maritime finish, but regrettably I don't think thats in the cards for me anytime soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I attempted to shoot a quick video of the barrel to show what I think is chrome lining not that it really makes a difference, I’m still going to shoot the snot out of this thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts