HKPRO Forums banner

3 lug MP5SD build idea?

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  scottinthegrove 
#1 ·
I am slowly gathering parts for a SD style build but I wanted to use a MP5K 3-lug barrel under the shroud and my SWR Trident until I can pick up a Liberty Mystic and I wanted to see if anyone has used the SD shround RTG has or if I should go for a blackmarket SD upper?

Thanks,

#2 ·
Old trick... been done and it works just fine... maybe better than the originals. Hell of a lot easier to maintain, not to mention.

#6 ·
That's a ShadoSmyth build. He made up a shroud out of raw tubing... not bad, eh? With the guard in place nobody knows it's not an SD.

#11 ·
C'mon man! This wouldn't be an SD, but rather a MP5 with a can in a shroud. A complete imposter!

#18 ·
dont know how i missed this thread but its been on the brain and i especially like the .40 idea .

can someone tell me if you can use a standard mp5/40 trunion with a mp5Kpdw/40 barrel ? or is there anything about the k barrel that requires a K trunion ? (in a full size receiver )

anything else exceptionally different needed ? regular cocking tube or sd specific ?

sorry to bring up old shiz but i did use the search function

#20 ·
I like 3 lugs for mounting since I have never been able to keep a threaded on can tight once the shooting starts. It is hard to re-tighten the can when it is hot.
I like this version with a non-ported barrel since my MP-5SD with ported barrel is a lot less reliable than my MP-5K. I have thought of converting mine over the years but never did.

#21 ·
im pulling my hair out on deciding which route to go on my first build . it's a .40
ive always wanted an SD since the first time i laid eyes on one . other hand mp5k's are sick ....

so reverse stretch k barrel .40 ? or impostor SD with 3 lug k barrel under a shroud ??

any pros or cons for these 2 options ?

#25 · (Edited)
One potential fly in the soup, the story goes that if the shroud in front of the barrel reduces the sound output when shooting with out the suppressor, then the tube it's self can be considered a suppressor and require it's own tax stamp. Granted this is at best a very poor suppressor, however, as the story goes their is not a lower limit for what level of sound reduction is required. While this may or may not apply in this case and I for one am NOT recommending a campaign of letter writing to the BATFE, is just one more think to keep in mind.

While most likely a different construction, find the letter on the GSG 5 SD model found on AR15.com is interesting in this light:

"To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.
Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. .... "

#26 ·
My understanding is that the original fake suppressor was hollow. The Tech Branch was concerned that it would be possible to "convert" that hollow fake can into an actual suppressor. My limited understanding is that a "fake" suppressor must be solid, so it can't be "converted" into an actual can. I bought a Mark 23 that came with a fake can. The outside looked like a Knight's can but it was solid.

With such a short barrel, I don't know if the SD hand guard could be blown off. It certainly would be unnerving to me to feel the hand guard move every time I pulled the trigger. I personally would be very nervous about holding the fore end if my hand was forward of the muzzle. I had a TROS 5" 3-lug barrel for the M16 platform. Just like the "imposter" SD, the 5" barrel was inside a free float rail with the iron sight at the end. I only fired one round through it when I melted a 9mm Raptor can (that is a whole other story). I felt the gas leaving the end of the barrel on the top of my hand. I was using a vertical fore grip mounted to the bottom rail. YMMV.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.