HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly gathering parts for a SD style build but I wanted to use a MP5K 3-lug barrel under the shroud and my SWR Trident until I can pick up a Liberty Mystic and I wanted to see if anyone has used the SD shround RTG has or if I should go for a blackmarket SD upper?

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Old trick... been done and it works just fine... maybe better than the originals. Hell of a lot easier to maintain, not to mention.

·
Registered
445 Posts
only issues with that route is for effective SD sound youll need more expensive sub loads, obviously lack of factory corectness(if that matters to u)...but it is a good alternative and like shattered said WAY less maintenance/easier to care for...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's pretty much what I'm going for. I like the lower maintenance, and since I'm cheap I like to use a can on as many guns as possable. What shroud did you use in the gun pictured above?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reload, so it's not a big deal to shoot subsonic loads. I like how it looks and I like that it's shorter than my MP5-N when it's supressed, but it's not as cramped when changing mags as the MP5K is.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
That's pretty much what I'm going for. I like the lower maintenance, and since I'm cheap I like to use a can on as many guns as possable. What shroud did you use in the gun pictured above?
That's a ShadoSmyth build. He made up a shroud out of raw tubing... not bad, eh? With the guard in place nobody knows it's not an SD.

·
Vendor
6,927 Posts
I am slowly gathering parts for a SD style build but I wanted to use a MP5K 3-lug barrel under the shroud and my SWR Trident until I can pick up a Liberty Mystic and I wanted to see if anyone has used the SD shround RTG has or if I should go for a blackmarket SD upper?

Thanks,

I have used the SD shround of RTG they work very well. And are very nice..
I also have some of hkparts shround but Iam just getting started on them . They are also nice.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
C'mon man! This wouldn't be an SD, but rather a MP5 with a can in a shroud. A complete imposter!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
What would be the pro's and con's of using the standard MP5K 3-lug vs an MP5K-N (PDW) threaded one?
To me the "pro" would be if I had a thread mounted can that used the same thread as the Navy style barrel. The "con" would be the extra expense for a threaded barrel when you can has a 3-lug mount. There is also the issue that the thread protector could be lost. A 3-lug can can not be installed if the thread protector is missing. It is hard to see, but in the picture look at how far into the shroud the can is. It would be that much harder to mess with the thread protector, that far into the shroud. To me the 3-lug mount is so far ahead of thread mounting. The thread protector on the Navy style barrel is another possible problem. The think the standard 3-lug barrel would be the better of the two in this application. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
10,275 Posts

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
To me the "pro" would be if I had a thread mounted can that used the same thread as the Navy style barrel. The "con" would be the extra expense for a threaded barrel when you can has a 3-lug mount. There is also the issue that the thread protector could be lost. A 3-lug can can not be installed if the thread protector is missing. It is hard to see, but in the picture look at how far into the shroud the can is. It would be that much harder to mess with the thread protector, that far into the shroud. To me the 3-lug mount is so far ahead of thread mounting. The thread protector on the Navy style barrel is another possible problem. The think the standard 3-lug barrel would be the better of the two in this application. YMMV.

Scott
I'm working on a .40cal fake SD. Chopped down one of Todd's 40 cal barrels to K length, and just threaded it. Planning on a homemade mono 2 piece suppressor so there's no chance of leaving anything frozen in place deep down inside.

·
Registered
257 Posts
... To me the 3-lug mount is so far ahead of thread mounting. The thread protector on the Navy style barrel is another possible problem. The think the standard 3-lug barrel would be the better of the two in this application. YMMV.

Scott
I have not found that to be the case, althought my SP89 stretch is a 3-lug w/ threads. Whenever possible, I prefer the threaded bbl with the shoulder to shoulder contact for indexing... how many times in civilian life are you in a hurry to attach your suppressor?

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
... how many times in civilian life are you in a hurry to attach your suppressor?
Zero... which is why I never bothered to get into the 3 lug thing. I have all the time in the world to attach the can to da gat.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Thanks,
As long as you use 147 grain ammo the right silencer could even be as quiet as a factory SD.

·
Registered
563 Posts
dont know how i missed this thread but its been on the brain and i especially like the .40 idea .

can someone tell me if you can use a standard mp5/40 trunion with a mp5Kpdw/40 barrel ? or is there anything about the k barrel that requires a K trunion ? (in a full size receiver )

anything else exceptionally different needed ? regular cocking tube or sd specific ?

sorry to bring up old shiz but i did use the search function

·
Registered
555 Posts
I like 3 lugs for mounting since I have never been able to keep a threaded on can tight once the shooting starts. It is hard to re-tighten the can when it is hot.
I like this version with a non-ported barrel since my MP-5SD with ported barrel is a lot less reliable than my MP-5K. I have thought of converting mine over the years but never did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.