HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... for me anyway.

1] Mechanical recoil reduction system.

2] Concealable grip size, with the option of extended magazines.

3] Magazines- A. Can have flat floor plates; B. More plentiful & less expensive (same as USP45c)

I am bothered that, despite the long grip, the magazine body on the HK45 sticks out if the bottom & needs a beefy floor plate to cover it. It seems like it would be a proper fit for a 9 round capacity magazine...

Having fondled the HK45 today (sexy) I might be one of those rare folks who don't like the spacing of the finger grooves. I like to cram my fingers tight under the trigger guard & my middle finger sits on the bulge of the first groove....

So that is just one guy's take... *wanders off, mumbling*

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure if the compact will have any kind of recoil reduction system aside from what is currently found on the USPC and HK45. Pretty much a delrin ring to absorb some of the energy. It would be nice if it did though. I missthe double recoil springs of the USP45F, although I must admit that the HK45 is a pretty soft shooter. I am wondering if a guide rod from a USP will fit. Concealability will definitely be better with the compact, but this is HK and there is no such thing a cheap mags.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
I believe the HK45c will have the same recoil spring/reduction system the HK45 has, at least that is what I have read. The HK45 system is the same system the USP45c first introduced, so it is a proven system. I don't know/recall the reason they went away from the duel spring system, size/space maybe?

I think it has pretty clearly been stated, the HK45 was desinged to be a combat/duty weapon. I don't think HK ever intended the HK45 to be a concealed carry weapon, that is what the HK45c will be for. The grip is really too long for the HK45 to be a universally concealable handgun..

The mag. base I don't get either? I'm not an engineer or anything, but I am sure someone (BigChris or someone along those lines) will find a way to utilize that space for an extra round or two?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reason I was citing the recoil reduction system is that I read this on the HK45c profile on HK-usa.com:

"A unique, internal mechanical recoil reduction system reduces the recoil
forces imparted to the weapon and shooter by as much as 30%, improving
shooter control during rapid firing."

Also, for some reason I thought the USPc 45 had a double spring system...

I guess I'll have my Q's answered when it comes out.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Reason I was citing the recoil reduction system is that I read this on the HK45c profile on HK-usa.com:

"A unique, internal mechanical recoil reduction system reduces the recoil
forces imparted to the weapon and shooter by as much as 30%, improving
shooter control during rapid firing."

Also, for some reason I thought the USPc 45 had a double spring system...

I guess I'll have my Q's answered when it comes out.
I'd bet that is just HK speak for the same system found in the HK45... which is the system found in the USPc45.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to be a spoil sport, but it says the same thing on the HK45 spec sheet. Guess that means the little delrin ring. On a different note, the pics make it look like the compact will have the old mag release. WTF??

·
Registered
101 Posts
That would be a drag if the compact stays with the old mag release, it is the only part of the HK design I really need to practice on more. It take way too much fine motor skills for me to use in a panic. Empty mags seem to drop well, but partially empty mags still take some concentration. Training & Range time.

Just checked the description on the HK web site: Enlarged ambidextrous magazine levers (are a feature on the HK45c). I'm glad to see it.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I believe the HK45c will have the same recoil spring/reduction system the HK45 has, at least that is what I have read. The HK45 system is the same system the USP45c first introduced, so it is a proven system. I don't know/recall the reason they went away from the duel spring system, size/space maybe?

I think it has pretty clearly been stated, the HK45 was desinged to be a combat/duty weapon. I don't think HK ever intended the HK45 to be a concealed carry weapon, that is what the HK45c will be for. The grip is really too long for the HK45 to be a universally concealable handgun..

The mag. base I don't get either? I'm not an engineer or anything, but I am sure someone (BigChris or someone along those lines) will find a way to utilize that space for an extra round or two?
There really is no "extra space". Look more closely at the mags and the floorplates and you'll see that the actual floor is really not thick at all. You'll notice that the floorplate's sides just reach way up further than most folks are used to seeing. If you take the floorplate off the mag body and then insert the mag body into the grip, you'll see that the mag body is NOT flush with the bottom of the grip frame but actually extends several millimeters beyond the bottom of the well and at least a millimeter beyond the longest portion of the grip--the heel of the grip frame. The floorplate is no thicker than the average plastic floorplate you'll find on almost any weapon on the market. It only appears that way due to the elongated sides and front of the floorplate itself

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
If someone wanted to perform some surgery to have a more "flush" fit, then in this case, the more logical approach is to shorten the mag body a few millimeters, trim the sides and front of the floorplate until the bottom of it is even with the bottom of the heel of the grip frame. You'd have to do some surgery to "mold" the look of the front of the floorplate, but it could be done. The only question would be whether it would necessitate leaving out one round or just have a more compact mag--possibly causing the weapon to not like fresh, full mags to be inserted into a weapon that has the slide in-battery. Currently, the HK45 has no problem with this; however, that might change with such an alteration . . .

FWIW--I have no intention of altering mine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
1. I doubt the recoil reducer is mechanical dual spring setup. But would be interesting.

2. I like the more concealable aspect of the Compact. Here in NJ where God can't even get a civilian CCW, no wonder everyone wants to buy a Mark 23. :rolleyes:

3. With mags, I also like having multiple options for mag setup that this pistol will allow you to do. You can even use the mag off of a HK45 full size making it a total of 4 different options for mags on the Compact.

I remember some of us were in the minority when we 1st vouched for and was in favor of the 'spidey grips' on the HK45 Full Sz. Well, I'm glad I favor the new chunky floorplate.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Speaking of the chunky floor plate...I've noticed that with my off hand it is quite easier now to eject the mag in one full motion and then slap a new one in with out moving my shooting hand at all. The flat/flush floor plates on mags are not as easy to do this with as the new style "chunky floor plates" IMHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. I doubt the recoil reducer is mechanical dual spring setup. But would be interesting.

2. I like the more concealable aspect of the Compact. Here in NJ where God can't even get a civilian CCW, no wonder everyone wants to buy a Mark 23. :rolleyes:

3. With mags, I also like having multiple options for mag setup that this pistol will allow you to do. You can even use the mag off of a HK45 full size making it a total of 4 different options for mags on the Compact.

I remember some of us were in the minority when we 1st vouched for and was in favor of the 'spidey grips' on the HK45 Full Sz. Well, I'm glad I favor the new chunky floorplate.
The main reason I'm going to the HK45 is the spidey grips, so if talk here helped get that, THANK YOU! This is the best weapon I've every found or felt for fit of my hand, AND, more importantly, confidence in the security of the grip when shooting one-handed, off-hand, or with liquid (sweat, rain, blood, saliva, etc.) on my hands. (Important considerations in a service weapon.)

I agree with the original poster about putting my fingers up as high as possible under the trigger guard, but MY chief complaint about that is the new-style mag releases... I have found I must keep my trigger finger along-side the frame, and then use my middle finger of the strong hand, to uncurl from around the frame, and reach up and hit the mag release, otherwise, that chubby middle finger gets in the way and actually prevents my trigger finger from being able to positively disengage the mag release... Other than needing to learn a new drill for mag changes, another problem this causes, is I'm only holding the weapon with my two weakest fingers (ring and pinky, well, plus my thumb) when I'm hitting the release. That means, for me, the spidey grip is absolutely mandatory, and if the compact version doesn't get "upgraded" to also have the spidey grip, I'll be carrying something else off-duty...

Makes me curious why they would even go with a different grip design on the C-model... Shouldn't it be identical to the full-size, except shorter in height and length???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts