HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the upcoming 300 Black Out barrels from RCM and DT's announcement that they will be making a D5300 (aka their "HK"53 size D300 rifle in 300 Blackout). Which then brings up the consideration if one should get a AR upper or HK53 size clone for semi and possible full auto use (have sear and M16A1 so either is an option, but ammo prices might limit the use some). Not trying to be a Ford vs Chevy discussion (or Chevy vs BMW as the case maybe ;-) but would not mind a professional discussion of features, positive and negatives. In particular since the "HK"53 is one of the three must have host guns for the HK sear (a MP5 and a 23e being the other two).

- "HK" stock folds shorter for starters ... but will leave most of the discussion to others, to prevent bias ;-).

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a noveske 8" suppressed SBR and im getting alot of port noise for shooter and also buffer spring noise.

Im using a x heavy buffer and wolf xpower spring with rem factory subsonic loads.

very accurate

on lookers say its quite but from shooter the port noise will sometimes seem loud to me.

looking forward to a 53 300blk sear host

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Have the 9" AR upper, and supressor for it. It is reasonably low-noise, but to my ear the MP5-SD sounds quieter from the shooters position. Ive not had a chance to get anyone else to run the rig so I can observe from 10' away to see how that changes the sound.

IMO the 300blk is a lovely thing to happen. Good power, reliable, LARGE selection of .308 projectiles to the hand loader, cheap and easy to make brass, its about everything I want out of a range toy / eastern-us hunting rifle.

I will be inline for the H&K variant, and don't see it replacing the AR I have.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Jon, since I don't own a 300BLK yet, I can't comment from that point of view.

What I can say is that if I'm not mistaken it would be cheaper to just get a different upper for the M16 than get a clone built in 300BLK.......unless you already have a clone in .223 then you would have to compare the cost of an upper for that to the cost of an upper for the HK.......

In theory, for the M16 you would just need a different barrel, the rounds work in the same .223/5.56 mags, the BCG is the same as what you already have etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No one knows - we have to wait and see how which one is quieter with subsonic. Also the AR can run all types of ammo with no adjustments, and the 53 may need two or more locking pieces - just like the MP5/10mm did.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I have an AAC 9" upper for my SBR AR. I used to shoot it on my RR M16 lower. The 300 BO suppressed is quiet other than the very annoying buffer spring "boing" sound. It comes with a price though the 220 grain subsonic bullets are about $1 each commercially. Even reloading them on my XL650 they were about $.50 per round because the sierra 220 OTM bullets are so expensive. The only cost effective reload I found was using a 147 grain M60 ball pull down surplus bullet and those would not cycle well subsonic so they crack when shot loaded reliable. The MP5 with 147 grain 9mm bullets is naturally subsonic and much cheaper to reload. All that said I will very much purchase a "53 type" 300 BO sear host when DT has them available. If you have not seen here is a short video AAC put together to promote the platform and compare vs. an MP5SD.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
It is my understanding you do not want to put lead through a suppressor right?

There seems to be great debate on this subject. Most rifle suppressor manufacturers will recommend against shooting non-jacketed bullets through their suppressors. Others say as long as the "correct" alloy of lead is used and they are indeed subsonic velocity it is okay. I have even read the barrel twist can determine the lead amount residual in a suppressor. Personally I only shoot lead through a suppressor I can take apart and clean.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
There seems to be great debate on this subject. Most rifle suppressor manufacturers will recommend against shooting non-jacketed bullets through their suppressors. Others say as long as the "correct" alloy of lead is used and they are indeed subsonic velocity it is okay. I have even read the barrel twist can determine the lead amount residual in a suppressor. Personally I only shoot lead through a suppressor I can take apart and clean.
Well that puts me out as I have two Ospreys on order that do not come apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts