HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Federal Ammo

The Federal BTHP(Boat Tail Hollow Point) ammo is probably the most widely used ammo for precision shooting especially in .308. I have a background as a police and military sniper and I only shoot Federal Gold Match 168 grain BTHP ammo in my .308 rifles. It shoots great in my SR9. I get under one MOA at a hundred yards with it. The are many other brands that shoot well also but I prefer the Federal. I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
^^^I believe the Federal Gold Medal uses a Sierra Match King (168 & 175 grains) bullet. The bullet is very good.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
^^^I believe the Federal Gold Medal uses a Sierra Match King (168 & 175 grains) bullet. The bullet is very good.
That is correct Federal Gold Medal Match uses the Sierra Match King Boat Tailed Hollow Point, both the 168grain and 175grain flavors.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The bullet is very good for "match" purposes. It is nowhere near good as a hunting bullet. In practice, it functions in game as would a FMJ bullet, rarely expanding and certainly not reliably.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
The bullet is very good for "match" purposes. It is nowhere near good as a hunting bullet. In practice, it functions in game as would a FMJ bullet, rarely expanding and certainly not reliably.
Not to be argumentative, but I humbly beg to differ. Every deer I have taken has been with a FGMM 168gr .308, and everyone has dropped dead on the spot. It is all about shot placement. You can have the most expanding round on the market and if you put it in the gut they are going to run. FGMM works just fine for hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
The Sierra matchking hollow points are not designed to expand. The hollow point is merely a result of the manufacturing process and has no effect on expansion of the round.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
2,010 Posts
Asked and answered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.