HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I safely use modern, new, .308 commercial ammunition in my G3SG/1? The rifle is, of course, marked for 7.62X51 NATO. Your thoughts will be much appreciated. Best regards.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have to ask a couple of clarifying question:

My first is curious: What is the difference between old and new 308 ammo? I am not aware of real difference in standard "old" .308 when balistically compared to modern .308.

Do you mean today’s "HOT" .308 Hunting ammo that is designed for bolt actions rifles?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
308 in G3SG/1?

Thanks for your reply. I meant recently manufactured ammo (Winchester), as oposed to ammo manufactured some years ago. Where I am located, you can sometimes see ammo that was manufactured 30 or more years ago. Best regards.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Can I safely use modern, new, .308 commercial ammunition in my G3SG/1? The rifle is, of course, marked for 7.62X51 NATO. Your thoughts will be much appreciated. Best regards.

YES..yes you can..runs just fine..
better then the weak U.S.M80 ball (147rgn @2650FPS)
(most any ammo is better then the weak milty stuff)
shoot and have fun

dont give a rats @ss about how old/how new that 308 is...
it's still just 308....semi auto or bolt..it dont matter.. or the maker would say so.. and it's still all the same. pushing a 150grn rd at 2680/2700 FPS. so dont let anybody fool ya..

·
Registered
230 Posts
One tip, after you fire a round or two, inpect the spent case to get some sense as to what is going on. If the barrel flutes are too pronounced (i.e. more burned in an noticable than normal), chances are that the ammo you are using may be a little too hot.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,953 Posts
Or you didn't clean them very well the last time you shot!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, except for the various "light magnum" .308 rounds available on the market. They are not the same.[/QUOT

this rd dose not up the CUP presr in the bbl... winchester first came out with this ammo for 308 LMR /3006LMR/ over 5 years ago. and can be used in any 308 or 3006.. and i have used it in many semi auto weapons. my guns any way
IT puts the 308 upto the 3006..and puts the 3006 in the 300RM class..it's the makeup of the propelent. that makes that rd work..not the powder load.. it pushes the rd out of the gun faster with out overloading the gun..this was teasted for a long time before it was put out on the market for sale..

AND

the only time i have seen brass push into the flutes are that soft brass from the land of the forhead DOT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts