HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
PTR91 GIR FDE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started buying parts for my PTR91, Ebay gave showed me a suggestion for a .308 to .32 acp rifle adapter.

Specifically this one here.

At first I thought this wasn't a bad idea, prices for .32 auto hasn't changed much and could be a nice plinking round, I have lots of it already stocked up for my Colt 1903, and if I wanted to hunt small game they wouldn't just explode from a .308 Winchester going through 'em. But there's really not much info regarding these adapters, especially in semi auto rifles of witch I've found nothing. I'm worried if using .32 auto in my PTR would do any kind of mechanical damage. What's chielfly concerning me is that I know that the diameter of the .32 auto is slightly larger than the .308s and if that will damage my rifling. Now that I'm writing this I'm also wondering if the insert itself would damage my chamber, bolt head or my extractor.

I have heard of .30 carbine conversions for .30 caliber rifles but I've yet to find any.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
That seems like a VERY bad idea for a semi-auto. Maybe in an old bolt action (that you don't care about)

·
Registered
660 Posts
It wouldn't cycle the action, so you would be using it as a sort of straight pull rifle anyway. Seems like feeding with the open case mouth would be an issue though. I would try it in a rifle you could directly load the chamber from, but not something that has to be fed from the magazine.

My uneducated opinion, worth what you paid for.

·
Registered
603 Posts
As I recall these are essentially a .308 chamber insert that mimics the shell. A .32 ACP round is loaded into the rear of the insert and it's put in the chamber. The insert is extracted like a standard .308 shell. THEN you need a stick to pop the spent case out of the back of the insert so you can put in a new cartridge and then drop the insert back into the chamber...

You MIGHT be able to drop it in the chamber loaded and then drop the bolt on top of it. As has already been mentioned not enough oomph to cycle the gun. That might be a good thing since IF it ejected the insert in the woods you'd probably loose it in the leaves. Generally these sorts of things are used in single shots and possibly bolt actions.
Given the geometry of the 91 I wouldn't be keen on trying it in MY guns for either the .32 or the .30 carbine inserts. Although I don't expect the insert would cause any catastrophic damage I think I'd pass on putting it in any of my guns whether semi, bolt or lever action. IF I had one of the .308 break actions I might consider it.

Last time I shopped for .32 Auto for my Colt and Savage pistols it ran as more than most of my other pistol calibers including .45 ACP. If you want a popgun round out of a rifle I'd say think hard about getting a PCC in 9mm or .38SP/.357. The lever actions that can feed and fire .38 and .357 are a lot more practical than some sort of insert in a 91.

·
Registered
PTR91 GIR FDE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried single feeding some regular .308s and closing the action at the range and it seems to work just fine, but as any of you probably guessed when I tilted the rifle back even slightly before closing the bolt it just slid right out. I had figured the little .32 auto it wouldn't cycle properly, but now that I think of it if I just wasn't careful enough and I opened the action then the adapter would be kicked into the next county with the rest of my brass and I'd be out $30.

Figured it would be an interesting little gimmick if it worked properly, but I guess chamber adapters like that aren't very popular for a reason. I have seen the .22LR conversion kit floating around and it seems to work fine but for the price I can buy a decent PCC or a Mare's Leg in a heavier caliber.

And it might just be my shop but they haven't changed .32 auto prices lately as for as I know. Around $17 for a 50 box of American Eagle.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
When I started buying parts for my PTR91, Ebay gave showed me a suggestion for a .308 to .32 acp rifle adapter.

Specifically this one here.

At first I thought this wasn't a bad idea, prices for .32 auto hasn't changed much and could be a nice plinking round, I have lots of it already stocked up for my Colt 1903, and if I wanted to hunt small game they wouldn't just explode from a .308 Winchester going through 'em. But there's really not much info regarding these adapters, especially in semi auto rifles of witch I've found nothing. I'm worried if using .32 auto in my PTR would do any kind of mechanical damage. What's chielfly concerning me is that I know that the diameter of the .32 auto is slightly larger than the .308s and if that will damage my rifling. Now that I'm writing this I'm also wondering if the insert itself would damage my chamber, bolt head or my extractor.

I have heard of .30 carbine conversions for .30 caliber rifles but I've yet to find any.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it?
I've tried single feeding some regular .308s and closing the action at the range and it seems to work just fine, but as any of you probably guessed when I tilted the rifle back even slightly before closing the bolt it just slid right out. I had figured the little .32 auto it wouldn't cycle properly, but now that I think of it if I just wasn't careful enough and I opened the action then the adapter would be kicked into the next county with the rest of my brass and I'd be out $30.

Figured it would be an interesting little gimmick if it worked properly, but I guess chamber adapters like that aren't very popular for a reason. I have seen the .22LR conversion kit floating around and it seems to work fine but for the price I can buy a decent PCC or a Mare's Leg in a heavier caliber.

And it might just be my shop but they haven't changed .32 auto prices lately as for as I know. Around $17 for a 50 box of American Eagle.
It will not hurt your gun BUT it will have a RADICALLY different POI from 7.62 NATO. I can't see it of value unless you handload and cast your own hardcast lead bullets and want a last ditch zombie apoc load. Better to cast your own .311 round balls and make "gallery" loads, often referred to as "cat's sneezes"

Reactions: StarWolf

·
Registered
603 Posts
...often referred to as "cat's sneezes"
I usually refer to the cowboy action versions as powder puff rounds. Not exactly round ball and a bit more than gallery fodder but still feels like a small step above a cap gun that shoots cork balls.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you reload or know someone who does? look up gallery loads like blitzkrieg said. I’ve shot a lot of .30 carb bullets in .308 win using pistol powder. pretty accurate out to 50 yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts