HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this round group well at 75 yards thru a p2000 I'm thinking about buying one from work for $605 what do you think?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I think the real question is can YOU group well at 75 yards with a handgun? That's a mighty long shot for a hand held handgun that is not really meant to be used at such long ranges. If you want to do some long range shooting with a handgun there are a lot better choices out there than anything HK makes. Something like a Encore, Striker, Contender, XP-100, and certainly a lot better cartridges than anything HK chambers.
Don't take a plow horse to the Kentucky Derby and while the .357 SIG is a great round, it does not have the steam to harvest game cleanly at 75 yards in most cases. And if you are talking about a firearm for use against two-legged critters, they have a word for shooting them at 75 yards, murder. You would have a very hard time making a case that a person 75 yards away was a threat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will this round group well at 75 yards thru a p2000 I'm thinking about buying one from work for $605 what do you think?
This post coming from a "Senior Member"? Please tell us you don't work for an FFL holder... By the way, what is your definition of "group"?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have shot 357 out of a Springfield XD, and currently my SIG 226. I have found it to be a very accurate round (when compared to say a 40 or 45), speaking merely from shooting off hand without bench or ransom rests. Ballistics are also awesome producing identical speed and energy as the 357 magnum it seeks to replicate in the semi-auto pistol format. The downside would be there are less premium hollowpoint loads when compared to other more common calibers, Winchester Ranger SXT, and Speer Gold Dot are two that I know of from the top of my head. Practice ammo can be pricey as well because of it's bottleneck design, unless you search for deals or buy in bulk. I have found it to be $16/box of 50 FMJs and up. Is the P2000 you speak of new or used. $605 seems decent to me for an HK in 357 if new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wonder if the lighter bullet will have enough bite at 75 i can shoot my 10mm to 75 and get 4 " groups no problem. I'm just looking for a small pocket rocket. My 45s drop way too much. I want to replace my 1911 commander 38 super with this but not if it can't perform the same or better. I'm a avid reloader so factory ammo means nothing as a matter of fact I buy dies before a box of ammo.

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I just wonder if the lighter bullet will have enough bite at 75 i can shoot my 10mm to 75 and get 4 " groups no problem. I'm just looking for a small pocket rocket. My 45s drop way too much. I want to replace my 1911 commander 38 super with this but not if it can't perform the same or better. I'm a avid reloader so factory ammo means nothing as a matter of fact I buy dies before a box of ammo.

HELP!!!
4" groups at 75 yards with a 10mm what?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would assume one of the 1911's, just because they have a higher accuracy potential, and the trigger is better suited for accuracy....

I would not shoot at ANYTHING over 50 yards away, even with my mark23. While it may be possible, can you assure your only hitting what your trying to aim at? (the: "Be sure of your target and beyond" comes to mind)

In any case, if your shooting that far away, you should have something more like a carbine, or a high powered (like .44 magnum or something equally hot) scoped revolver.

I was shooting a .45 LC revolver at 100 yards at the range, and the shots were all hitting ground, and bouncing (into the huge backstops, or i would not have even attempted it). I was shooting at a 4" steel gong, and mabey hit it once with a bounce... pure luck. Anything small enough to kill with a .357 would be too hard to shoot at, and anything big enough to hit, would not be killed, only hurt by it.

Again, im just concerned for safety... Service pistols are not meant to be used out of 25 yards... 50 in some cases, but over that? 100% not.

ETA

A pipe wrench could be used for a hammer, but it definatly doesn't make a good one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
at 75 i can shoot my 10mm to 75 and get 4 " groups no problem. HELP!!!
Wow... I'd just be happy to get a few on the paper at 150'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
factory kimber Target II with a 155 grain bullet. Kimber uses the same twist rate for the 40 and 10mm. The 10 mm Kimber really has too slow of a twist rate for the extra Velocity you can get with the round. The 155 load at that range still is around 1200 fps. But i would have perfered the energy of a nice 180+, but they shoot like crap IMO(8" 75 yard groups)

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
I shoot on 50 yard clay pidgins with my P2000 in .357 SIG!
Of cause, not every shoot is a hit, but more then half of them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts