HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Newby Civi here.

I’m a 3d modeler who is fascinated by the HK line of products. I’ve been to the range a few times though I rarely get a chance to get behind the trigger of fully automatic weapons unless I go to full auto ranges like Knob Creek.

The most I have access to are pistols and Google where more than likely photos are of Airsoft guns rather than actual firearms. I’m hoping I can find someone here who can help me with some of my projects by photographing their HK firearms.

Currently I’m interested in the MP7 though I’m trying to build a library of models of the HK line. If anyone is willing or able please let me know ^^

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes actualy ^^; HKPro has been a great help towards a lot of my modeling though if you look at games like HL2 you'll notice that the MP7 they use is the prototype which is where most of the information about the weapon seems to be focused. A1 release dosent seem to be interesting as the incomplete version in the scope of reference I have seen on HKPro.

I've found a few examples of the actual firearm and have done considerable research on it as well as found examples of Airsoft faux replicas ensuring details i'm including are on the actual firearm.

one in particular is the folding BUIS, where in the prototype version the rear rifle site was a single angular post, in the production version it appears to be milled due to more prominent primitive shapes over the unoptimized heavier/bulkier prototype.

at the level I'm at with my model I'm interested in the magizines (one thing that no matter what the weapon is graced over as a given fact) there are so many versions of magizines though for the sake of accuracy I'de like to see a factory box magizine (15 or 40) for the sake of accuracy in details.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Best way to make 3D models of guns, is to have the gun, and a good Micrometer :D

Since your going for an MP7, i would say try getting measures to get certain parts to the right proportions. The biggest fall when making models of existing guns, is the curvature, and the proportions.

3D Model

Gun it was measured off of

BTW, it took several months to make that model to its detail level. The colours are not quite right, but then again, they're just that colours (no textures)

Best recomendations i can give ya, Is get LOTS of experiance handling guns. The BEST pictures are from your head.

Good luck, HK's are fun to makemodels of!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
HMMMMMM. I guess I don't know anything about taking pictures I do lucky to point, and click. Oh well, I don't have time to learn right now either.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
belive me i know, I have had access to pistols though thats about as big a firearm as I can manage. I've resorted to Airsoft guns for general measurments and sought out photos from people who use them for the larger weapons.

this is what i have so far, I need to do some touch ups on the geometry this is one of those dormant projects that has found new life ^^; but its a game model, not photorealistic. though I like to shoot for accuracy I dont expect miricals with A polygon budget =p currently its about 4k quads.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Very nice work RyokuKitsune :D

Generally you use Triangles to count the polygons (as thats what games use, everything is triangulated) but for the newer geneartion of games, once the "unseen" faces get chopped, that thing will be awesome!

I could see a few faces being taken off the front, the recess in front of the front sight, and the Flash hider can be much simpler. Things on the front and right side are generally not seen, and you can sacrifice some polys in those areas.

Keep up the good work (I started off doing game models as well. They are a great way to start off, or even keep going!)

:D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i also use my game models as props in simple cinematic animations. I usualy reduce quite a bit [manualy] before i export them to a game.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ahh, i see.

You seem to have quite a bit of skill!

The MP7 does look very good, If your doing an animation with it, it may look cool to have an Aimpoint on it as well! (you can get some good pictures from their website, www.aimpoint.com )

Make sure to get us a link when your done :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts