HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a .40 USP Expert (in europe) and I have a mysterious problem, it is very inaccurate for some reason. On a 25 m range it will not shoot a grouping smaller than 10 inches. I have only shot just around 600 rounds through it and love the gun but cannot get it accurate. From what I hear this should be a very accurate gun. I really can't figure out whats wrong, when shooting e.g 5 rounds all feeling accurate, two or three can be really off. I know some people say the expert needs aprox 2000 break-in shots but I am really loosing faith here..
When shooting my xd9 or beretta 92 the groupings are from another planet.
Has anyone else experienced the same or have any advice?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try shooting it from a bench rest/pistol vice...keep the "human factor" out of the equation and see what your results are at the same distance. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
854 Posts
What kind of ammo? Is it shooting consistently low or high? Does it have factory sights? More info needed to aid you sir

·
Registered
410 Posts
my USP creates erratic groups when any part of the gun, including the bottom of the mag, is rested. it groups phenomenally when my arms are rested and the gun floats, or shot off-hand. also, check the barrel O-ring, and the ammo quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more info:
I have only shot S&B 11,7g 180grs FMJ and magtech 180gr FMC-FLAT? ammo with the same result. It really isn't much better from 15m either.
The test sheet that came with the gun has a grouping of 5,5cm on 25m 5 rounds. they had used UMC (remmington?) 180gr fmc ammo on that.
I really can't get any logic out of how this gun is behaving, I have tried to shoot from support and without but with really no difference. I am quite confident this is not a human error, apart from maybe buying the wrong ammo. I will try to get a hold of the same ammo the test shoot was performed with and post back.
I had a suspicion at one point that something could be wrong with the rear sight, it seems a bit odd, also there is a spring end visible on the front end of the rear sight?.
maybe the problem is a combination of bad ammo and something with the rear sight. It is also difficult to adjust with the grouping being so big.
The gun is the new 2012 model by the way.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Practice more. Are you new to the .40 caliber? Also the trigger on HK's are different than the XD and Beretta.

Also sometimes we can just have bad days at the range. Somedays I feel like an ACE and other days I feel like a rookie.

Unless the sights are off, which I don't think they are otherwise you would have consistently bad shots, then I HIGHLY doubt its the gun... Just go back to basics and take your time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Practice more. Are you new to the .40 caliber? Also the trigger on HK's are different than the XD and Beretta.

Also sometimes we can just have bad days at the range. Somedays I feel like an ACE and other days I feel like a rookie.

Unless the sights are off, which I don't think they are otherwise you would have consistently bad shots, then I HIGHLY doubt its the gun... Just go back to basics and take your time.
+1...when i first got my USPc LEM i couldnt hit anything consistently--i had an XDsub-compact and a SIG before--take your time and get used to the trigger

also make sure you aren't anticipating the .40's crack and flinching--it was a big problem when teaching my better half...have a buddy load your mags and intermix some snapcaps in...if you cringe on a snapcap you will know...

keep us informed

·
Registered
410 Posts
know what, my original HK target rear had something wrong with it. every other windage adjustment, the sight blade become bannked to the left. i also found the notch width too narrow. my shots became about 50% the side when I bought adjustable mepros.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try shooting it from a bench rest/pistol vice...keep the "human factor" out of the equation and see what your results are at the same distance. Keep us posted...
This. You have to take the "shooter" out of the picture to establish for sure whether it's the pistol or the shooter. My HK45 had horrible groups, which magically keep improving over time because I have a problem with flinching.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am assuming this USP Expert is your first HK.

XD factory sights are designed for six o'clock hold. HK factory sights are designed for 12 o'clock. This is just for your information. Regardless of different holds that I mentioned, your HK groupings should be consistently low if you held it like your XD.

Dry fire your HK and pay attention to the front sight. Does the front sight move when the trigger breaks? Work on your trigger pull. Then try shooting a target at 7 yards/meters or less to establish a consistent grouping.

I am not an expert at all. Just my 2 cents.

Have fun shooting :)

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am assuming this USP Expert is your first HK.

XD factory sights are designed for six o'clock hold. HK factory sights are designed for 12 o'clock. This is just for your information. Regardless of different holds that I mentioned, your HK groupings should be consistently low if you held it like your XD.

Dry fire your HK and pay attention to the front sight. Does the front sight move when the trigger breaks? Work on your trigger pull. Then try shooting a target at 7 yards/meters or less to establish a consistent grouping.

I am not an expert at all. Just my 2 cents.

Have fun shooting :)

Sent from my iPhone
The Expert sights are adjustable, so the OP can set them up however he wants. The fixed USP sights are set up the way you explained.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My .40 Expert shoots about 1.5" groups at 25 m with the MagTech 180gr. from a soft rest. That gun/ammo combo should be good.

Hitting all over the place can be caused by several factors. Shooter error; get some snap caps and dry fire until you are comfortable with the gun and trigger. O ring; make sure your O ring is in the groove and not damaged. Sights; make sure the sights are not loose or otherwise damaged. Ammo; is the ammo recent production and in good condition after proper storage?

Try shooting with someone else and each shoot a group at 5 m. If it still acts up, have someone take a look at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts