HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I picked up a nice pair of P2000sk's in a .40 cal and I was wondering if anyone can tell me (or describe) how much less (if any at all) a 9mm would recoil (kick) compared to the .40 ?? Is there much difference? Thanks all!

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is a noticable difference between the 40 & the 9. The 45 even has less perceived recoil in a similar platfrom than the 40.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry!

I am afraid it is considerable. I have p2000SK in 40 and it's great, but snappy as hell. I think this would be much better for most people in 9mm. I think the recoil feels better due to the smaller grip.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I personally HATE the .40 round. I love both .45 and 9mm. IMO the .40 is a very uncomfortable round - especially in polymer frame, compact sized handguns. Realistically, I don't know why it's become such a popular LE round. I suppose they fear the 9mm is too weak and the .45 is too damn expensive. But I have yet to shoot a .40 that I liked.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Having had a forty, and currently a 45 and 9, I think you know my answer. The P2000SK is one of the better shooting 40's IMO.

My recollection of testing a 40SK vs a 9mm G26 and remembering what the G27 was like, the 40 SK has a LOT less felt recoil than the G27 and ALMOST was livable. However the difference if felt recoil of 9 SK vs 40 SK is pretty significant IMO. YMMV though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Suregrip, I think most folks like to use the word snappy with the .40, and it is a good way to describe the round. I'm a fan of the .45ACP, but I carry the .40 since it suits my particular needs. I would suggest you try to shoot both calibers in similar pistols one right after the other. You will see that the 9 is softer and the 40 is sharper, but you may be surprised at how well you can shoot both. In my case I shot a .45 USPc and a .40 P2000SK, one has a nice slow push and the other a sharp snappy pop, but honestly I could not say that I can shoot one more accurately than the other. If I keep a good firm grip, stay with the front sight, and don't anticipate the shot, both will group just as well. Try shooting a 9 along with your .40; you might be surprised at how little difference there might be in downrange performance. I’d also toss out that if you haven’t tried the X-Grip with your SK, check it out. For those times when you don’t need the small size of the SK, you pick up 3 additional rounds and get a longer grip purchase.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My wife and I picked up a nice pair of P2000sk's in a .40 cal and I was wondering if anyone can tell me (or describe) how much less (if any at all) a 9mm would recoil (kick) compared to the .40 ?? Is there much difference? Thanks all!

Don't worry the 40 isn't that bad, my girlfriend shoots my 40 all the time and she is tiny, I just bought a USP Compact in 357 Sig and can't wait to shoot it tomorow at the range, now that is a snappy round. The 40 is a pussycat compared to the 357 Sig....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Odds are, if you're worried about recoil, you should stay away from the .40 and just stick to the 9mm.

I love the .40, but I wouldn't buy a gun chambered in it any smaller or lighter than the full size USP. The .40 in a Sig 226 or 229 is very easy to shoot, but a compact polymer isn't the best platform IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love the .40, but I wouldn't buy a gun chambered in it any smaller or lighter than the full size USP. The .40 in a Sig 226 or 229 is very easy to shoot, but a compact polymer isn't the best platform IMO.
Maybe a little off topic. I don't own any .40's but I've shot my share. Generally the difference in felt recoil (subjective) is quite noticeable. The only gun that I've shot in 40 that really impressed me was the full size M&P. It felt like I was shooting a 9mm. It's the only pistol (so far) in that caliber that I have considered purchasing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I forgot to mention something that helped me control the .40 in small, light pistols. During the recoil, if you find the muzzle is twisting, rotate your grip clockwise until the muzzle drops with the sights aligned.

With the .40sw in a compact polymer, there's not much you can do to control the 'snap', but you can help to keep the sights lined up after the snap.

I still wouldn't buy a compact polymer in .40 as a range gun, cause they arent that much fun to shoot, but if you find the snap is effecting your follow up shots try rotating your grip and see if it helps.

On another note, if Wisconsin ever gets a CC law passed the Governor I'd be all about a lightweight, compact, polymer pistol in .40sw, and would have to learn to deal with it. Until then I'll shoot the .40 out of heavier full sized pistols, so when you do shoot the P2Ksk's report back your thoughts.

Good luck!

Oh, and finally, the 180gr rounds shoot quite a bit softer than the 155gr loads. Give the heavier bullets a try first, and then move to lighter ones if you want.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The .40 just takes some getting used to, and HK's seem to handle it better than any other manufacturers equivelent pistol. Shoot it alot and you will be proficient with it in no time. The added "snap" is worth the increased power.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally I will stick to 9mm and .45ACP. I don't think .40 is worth the extra cost to practice and extra recoil. If you didn't get your shot placement right with 9mm, .40S&W won't become some wonder caliber and stop the threat for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have nothing but .40 in my hand gun collection.

It is all I have ever owned (in handguns anyway) but I have shot a multitude of other calibers, and I would say that the .40 is MY perfect round. The trick is finding out what size gun and caliber fit your needs and comfort levels.

I have had a Kahr P40 and for my tastes the "kick" was more evident in that small package than in my USPc in .40

I think that if you are not new to shooting and take the time to spend at the range you will be fine.

I love the .40 so much I even changed out the caliber on my UMP!!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,548 Posts
And now we bring yet another caliber skirmish to rest. Nothing new here...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.