HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since HK includes a lifetime warranty with all their weapons, (3 year warranty on LE guns) I wonder if they will offer it with the civilian 416/417's. I'm curious because if I'm the original owner of my 416 upper and it's brand new, if there's the SLIGHTEST possibility of being able to get/purchase a warranty from HK for it and mate it with a factory lower. I know it's a long shot, but what do you guys think? Technically, it's an LE weapon, but it was never owned or used by an agency as I've been the only person to ever own it (aside from the dealer I got it through). Since that's the case, I see it no different than buying a USP from a dealer. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tspeis

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It is my understand that "civilian HK416's" do not exist.
Doug,

I think what he is asking is if when the MR223 and MR308 hit the market will 416 (MR223) Uppers already on the market be able to take advantage of the Lifetime Warranty.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I would bet the answer to that question would be "no", because the upper is a part, not a gun. Also those warranties are for the original owner, which you are not, because it was papered to the dealer through BATF. The papers do not apply to the upper, therefore not a gun...etc.

Willing to pay $3,500 for an upper, but not $5 for a spring?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I think civilian HK416's do exist b/c I just ordered 4 of them and am a civilian. I happen to be an FFL/SOT, but am still purchasing them as a civilian.

Jake

P.S. Are you the same AZDoug on UziTalk?

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would bet the answer to that question would be "no", because the upper is a part, not a gun. Also those warranties are for the original owner, which you are not, because it was papered to the dealer through BATF. The papers do not apply to the upper, therefore not a gun...etc.

Willing to pay $3,500 for an upper, but not $5 for a spring?

I have no problem paying for replacement parts as they're needed. However, the warranty is a nice thing to have, especially if you plan on doing a lot of shooting. Hopefully, HK would allow me to purchase a factory semi-auto lower once the civie models are available. I've read about other companies supplying individuals with warranties under similar circumstances. Schmit & Bender is a perfect example.

On another note, does one need to fill out warranty registration or something similar and send it back to HK for it to take effect? Or, is it something that's active once you buy the gun? I've been issued an HK in the past and, aside from my upper, have yet to own one either. Thanks for all the responses.

Tspeis

·
Registered
383 Posts
You mean HK is selling Civillian 416's and 417's?? That's a first!!

You mean HK is finally breaking down and selling 416's and 417's to the Civillian Market?? That's a first!! When the hell did that miracle happen? Any chance the prices will come down? They're selling for $3500 for just the upper right now!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,942 Posts
You were not the original purchaser of the upper. Sorry. The original purchaser of the weapon was the dealer who purchased the entire weapon system from HK LE/Mil, ostensibly for a bona fide demo. HK never made that upper available for sale to anyone. There's a subtle difference at play. Since there were no uppers for sale at the time and (I'm assuming) you were not the Class 3 dealer that purchased the entire weapon... you will not have benefit of the warranty.

I feel confident that the complete weapons and uppers that are officially made available for civilian sale will carry the full warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I feel confident that the complete weapons and uppers that are officially made available for civilian sale will carry the full warranty.
I think this even applies to their normal off the shelf handguns. I don't know if they enforce it or not, but their warranty policy clearly states that it applies only to the "original retail purchaser".

Which makes me wonder why people care whether a used gun still has the warranty card or not.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Very Nice! Well it's the most popular rifle in America and...

VERY NICE INDEED! Well it's the most popular rifle in America right now! Even Remington offers one. They want the money! They'll have damn good competition too because LWRC(Leitner-Wise) and LMT(Lewis Machine & Tool) both are coming out with SUPER HIGH QUALITY piston-driven AR-type products and I have handled and shot the LMT and was impressed to say the least!

I'll probably get the LMT as my brother works for a Gunshop and can get it for me at a much reduced price. Then I'll get the HK416 upper and spare parts for both uppers!

The only other thing I want is a genuine FN-FAL Semi-auto Paratrooper with DS-Arms accessories like the rail forend and short gas system. I have ten 20-round Steyr FN mags new in the wrapper, and ten 30-round mags new in the wrapper from DS-Arms for the .308 Metric FN!!

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recently sold the upper to fund another HK project. However, for anyone else with an upper, the response I got from HK was if they feel it's a warranty issue, no matter how old the gun (or upper) is, they'll fix it. Even if there's no warranty for the gun (or upper), they'll make it right. It's good to see that HK will still support these products. Thanks again for all the info on the subject.

Tspeis

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,942 Posts
Well that's good to hear!

·
Registered
234 Posts
This was one of the things that kept me from buying a gray market upper. If the thing somehow had function problems or if a part broke that needed replacement I would be SOL.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's a change of pace from when i talked to the Head Honcho at HK 6 months ago!

That's a dramatic change from when I talked with the head Honcho regarding "Grey Market" uppers 6 months ago! They were actually threatening owners of such uppers with legal action which was absolutely stupid!

That's a rather sudden change! Well Colt has an in with the Army and there's a lot of politics to getting something adopted. Also HK has a domestic plant just sitting there and if they don't get a major Government contract that plant will be Idle. You mean the Mighty HK might actually NEED civilian sales? How novel an idea!

Let's pray that Hillary Clinton, John McCain, or Rudy Juliani don't get to the White House. Otherwise anything gained will be very short-lived.:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is my understand that "civilian HK416's" do not exist.
Yep, just like NEW "civilian M-16's" do not exist. What a pitty. These are the best AR platform I have seen.
Can't wait for my 417.

BTW, that AVITAR isn't your buddy TB is it????

·
Registered
337 Posts
I recently sold the upper to fund another HK project. However, for anyone else with an upper, the response I got from HK was if they feel it's a warranty issue, no matter how old the gun (or upper) is, they'll fix it. Even if there's no warranty for the gun (or upper), they'll make it right. It's good to see that HK will still support these products. Thanks again for all the info on the subject.

Tspeis
Great news, and I would have expected nothing less from them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts