HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PD will be ordering two 416's the first of the year. One major question is 10.5" or 14.5" barrel. I am trying to push for the 10.5", but how accurate is it. I know this has ALOT to do with who is behind the trigger. Between the two barrel lenghts, is there going to be any huge difference at around 200-250 yards? We are also looking at the Eotech 512, which I can not see helping out any at 250 yards.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a police officer I have to ask, in what situation do you see yourself firing at suspects at over 200 yards with a 10.5" barreled entry/patrol gun with a dot sight? It can be done, but if this is what you expect to encounter, you need more gun. We have a doorway sized steel plate set up at 200 yards that I can quickly and easily hit with mulpiple rounds using even a standard iron sighted AK47 variant, but this type of shooting is not the name of the game in law enforcement.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Both barrel lengths are equally accurate.

All else equal, the 14.5" barrel will be more lethal as it increases velocity to a point where bullets will fragment/expand.

10.5" barrels are sub-par on the expansion/fragmentation aspect due to low muzzle velocities.

My basis for all of this is simple varmint hunting with both 10.5" and 14.5"+ barrels. I've fed everything from 45gr to 75gr (FMJ, HPs, BP, etc.) through 10.5" guns, their effectiveness pales in comparison to a 14.5"+ barrel on everything I've shot (rabbits, jackrabbits, coyotes, prairie dogs, porcupines).

·
Registered
62 Posts
boomfab is right on regarding accuracy and fragmentation.
Both barrel lengths will be roughly as accurate as each other, the problem is that the shorter barrel will not be as effective at putting down a threat at extended distances due to loss of velocity.
The 5.56 is a very velocity dependant round for stopping power, once it drops below about 2700 fps it will not fragment and turns into a hole punch.
It was of issue to Special Forces working in Astan when they'd get into longer range engagements with their short barreled M4s.
For shots past 200m, you need to secure the perimeter and call in SRT with a designated marksman.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will pass all information on. Another officer was asking about the 200 yards or more and I wasn't sure. The primary need is for room entry/patrol car. Chances are, this weapon will probably never see anything past 50 yards, but more of just in case. The most important thing is having something else in the arsenal other than a side arm and a 870. One more thing, is it true delivery time once ordered is around six months???

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Our PD has three on order (two 10.5" and one 14.5" models), and the money and paperwork was sent in three months ago exactly. We had heard that it would DEFINITELY be longer than three months so I haven't checked back with the dealer. I'll probably start checking soon. The weapons will supposedly drop ship directly to the PD rather than through the dealer. I'll keep you posted when we get ours or know anything definite.

Thanks for the replies. I will pass all information on. Another officer was asking about the 200 yards or more and I wasn't sure. The primary need is for room entry/patrol car. Chances are, this weapon will probably never see anything past 50 yards, but more of just in case. The most important thing is having something else in the arsenal other than a side arm and a 870. One more thing, is it true delivery time once ordered is around six months???

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did [email protected] with a HK 416/10.5 and shooting BH MK262. optic used was just a simple EOTech 552. I am no precision shooter, this grouping is very imressive in my book.

The accuracy actually got better with a SureFire K can attached.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts