HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm aware that Geissele has a disclaimer regarding their DDC products, that the outcome of the color is rather unpredictable. I just acquired this DDC SMR, which looks much, much, darker than I anticipated. I'm hoping this is simply a result of that color variation, but is there a possibility that I got got? The quality, fit, and finish of this SMR seems to be identical to that of my previous, black SMR.

Below are some pictures, that seem rather representative of the color. For reference, the lower is a burnt bronze-ish color.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just Cerakote them all one color if you really want them to match
Yeah, I think I am going to cerakote the upper and lower an Earth Gray-ish color if I can find one similar to the one that HK uses. I was just primarily concerned that this might have been a replica rail, but the more I look at it the more normal it looks. I think I was just a little surprised at the color, that's all.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
@everett That SMR looks really good, but a couple of parts might be suspect. I see a couple of items to call out on yours that have been mentioned recently on other threads here:
  1. The screw grommets are barely noticeable, they're typically much more prominent...maybe due to lighting?: https://geissele.com/super-modular-rail-hk.html
  2. I haven't seen the "G" logo on a real HK SMR yet, but I wouldn't call myself an expert...
I'd suggest giving a little more time for folks here to chime in. They've been really helpful on spotting fakes in threads I've seen in the past few months. I don't know how many iterations there are or what type of changes Geissele has made over the years. You might want to try sending pics to Geissele as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@everett That SMR looks really good, but a couple of parts might be suspect. I see a couple of items to call out on yours that have been mentioned recently on other threads here:
  1. The screw grommets are barely noticeable, they're typically much more prominent: https://geissele.com/super-modular-rail-hk.html
  2. I haven't seen the "G" logo on a real HK SMR yet, but I wouldn't call myself an expert...
I'd suggest giving a little more time for folks here to chime in. They've been really helpful on spotting fakes in threads I've seen in the past few months. I don't know how many iterations there are or what type of changes Geissele has made over the years. You might want to try sending pics to Geissele as well.
Yeah, that is one of the things I noticed. Here is a picture of the other side, which will also probably aid in identifying it. It's a 05-190 Rev B

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, if that's a fake...I'd like to get my hands on one...for research purposes :)

Here's a pic I found of a Aussie selling airlift versions: Geissele Handguard 9.5" Super Modular Rail | R.A. Armament
That does look scarily similar. If mine is a fake, it's a damn good one, as the quality seems to be identical to my previous SMR that I traded this for.
I just sent an email to Geissele, hopefully, they come bearing good news.

I got my black one as a birthday present, so this would suck even more if it wasn't legit. I probably should have reached out before I traded it.

Also: I will say, mine does look identical to this one in this photo of someone who I presume to be in CAG. Same color and markings - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1c/6f/63/1c6f639d2511a7eb600fe926c127d5c0.jpg

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
We really should work on a comprehensive sticky thread as this comes up quite often on HKPRO. For example, I've seen the QD w/ slots called out in the past, but those exist on all of Geissele website pics. Here's a supposed reputable thread on ARF that captures the HK SMR through its various iterations (The G logo appears!) Geissele all the HK 416s -- A Brief Photo History of the HK 416 SMR - AR15.COM

@everett Do you have the rail screw?what does that look like?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They build a 1 for 1 clone which is why the markings are blurred. THey are identical, but for airsoft

Yup, that seems to be the exact color and handguard. Well ****. I knew about these beforehand too, but I didn't think they'd fit a real 416, hence why I blew off the possibility of it being fake when he sent pictures of it mounted on his rifle.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
@everett it appears to fit, does the screw tighten on the HK barrel nut fine?

Hopefully that trade wasn't made with someone on HKPRO? Care to share details fo the trade?

Also, try changing your thread title to something like "...Fake SMR...", maybe we'll get some more opinions from long-timers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We really should work on a comprehensive sticky thread as this comes up quite often on HKPRO. For example, I've seen the QD w/ slots called out in the past, but those exist on all of Geissele website pics. Here's a supposed reputable thread on ARF that captures the HK SMR through its various iterations (The G logo appears!) Geissele all the HK 416s -- A Brief Photo History of the HK 416 SMR - AR15.COM

@everett Do you have the rail screw?what does that look like?
As for the rail screw, I do not. Not sure if that was him trying to hide the fact it was fake, or if it was a miscommunication in our trade, but I unfortunately do not have it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've also never seen that secondary set screw where the rail screw goes before. Probably the reason the seller didnt include the rail screw. Good chance it wont line up. I'd get your money back

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've also never seen that secondary set screw where the rail screw goes before. Probably the reason the seller didnt include the rail screw. 100% it wont line up. I'd get your money back
From the pictures he sent me, it fit his rifle:

Unfortunately, this wasn't a purchase, but rather a trade, so I'm screwed, pun intended.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Try reaching out to the guy, might be honest enough to trade you back. He may have been fooled himself....I almost rushed and bought a black one here a few months back and it didn't look nearly as good as this one! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try reaching out to the guy, might be honest enough to trade you back. He may have been fooled himself....I almost rushed and bought a black one here a few months back and it didn't look nearly as good as this one! :)
Yeah, hopefully, he's got the heart to give it back.

Overall, this was the final piece to my build and I was on track to build a CAG clone for less than $2000. Looks like that's not the case anymore 😂

1 - 20 of 37 Posts