HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
If it has the set screw on the cross screw its a "clone". For what its worth and at the risk of being publicly shamed (or someone attempting to) I actually have one. I fortunately was not scammed, I could not find a real one so I bought from HAO. I wanted to put my hands on it and make a personal judgement. I was satisfied with the quality and it is on my CAG clone. It works fine for me and is good enough for my range use. Do I and have I kicked doors....yes. Would I ever do it with this gun....NO!! My on duty entry gun is 100% no BS, my CAG clone is a "hobby niche gun". Say what you will about my thinking, not concerned with those opinions, I am simply passing along first hand knowledge for the OP and his dilemma. Pretty shiesty if the seller did this knowingly and even more craptacular if once made aware he wont make it right.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
@MSOGDAWG Do you have a real Geissele SMR to compare? You said you were satisfied w/ quality, but curious how you feel it compares to the real thing. It's certainly a well done attempt to clone a Geissele and I think would work fine on my safe-queen/range-toy...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If it has the set screw on the cross screw its a "clone". For what its worth and at the risk of being publicly shamed (or someone attempting to) I actually have one. I fortunately was not scammed, I could not find a real one so I bought from HAO. I wanted to put my hands on it and make a personal judgement. I was satisfied with the quality and it is on my CAG clone. It works fine for me and is good enough for my range use. Do I and have I kicked doors....yes. Would I ever do it with this gun....NO!! My on duty entry gun is 100% no BS, my CAG clone is a "hobby niche gun". Say what you will about my thinking, not concerned with those opinions, I am simply passing along first hand knowledge for the OP and his dilemma. Pretty shiesty if the seller did this knowingly and even more craptacular if once made aware he wont make it right.
Wait, so the real SMRs don't have that little cross screw to hold the cross bolt in place? My first SMR, which came with a manual and all and appeared to be legit, had one as well. Granted, it was black and of much different characteristics, but had one nonetheless. Just curious, as I'm wondering if I've been bamboozled twice, lol!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@MSOGDAWG Do you have a real Geissele SMR to compare? You said you were satisfied w/ quality, but curious how you feel it compares to the real thing. It's certainly a well done attempt to close a Geissele and I think would work fine on my safe-queen/range-toy...
Assuming that my new SMR is fake, and my former is real, I can say that they are extremely similar in regards to, dare I say, quality -- primarily in that they both feel the same (same weight, texture, and fitting). That said, I never got a chance to shoot my rifle with either, so I'm not sure how it would stand to the recoil of a real firearm.

I will say, if this guy is willing to reverse the trade, I don't intend on keeping his stuff, he seems rather young and made a dumb decision. That said, if he refuses to make the situation right, I'd be happy to give you the thing for a ridiculously cheap price. Although I'm sure it would hold up to my shooting and although I'm not going for a super clone-correct 416, I wouldn't be able to stomach the fact that perhaps the most aesthetically important part of my rifle is a fake.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Wait, so the real SMRs don't have that little cross screw to hold the cross bolt in place? My first SMR, which came with a manual and all and appeared to be legit, had one as well. Granted, it was black and of much different characteristics, but had one nonetheless. Just curious, as I'm wondering if I've been bamboozled twice, lol!
The real ones have it, but does not appear to be simple to unscrew as there's no philips/flat/hex head to unscrew. The article below has some pics for review.

This appears to be an article comparing a REAL Geissele HK SMR to a HAO Airsoft version. The REAL Geissele is referred to as "RS", Google search shows that appears to be mean "Real Steel". Used to describe real firearms.

Here's the link with pics: Review: HAO’s HK416 SMR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The real ones have it, but does not appear to be simple to unscrew as there's no philips/flat/hex head to unscrew. The article below has some pics for review.

This appears to be an article comparing a REAL Geissele HK SMR to a HAO Airsoft version. The REAL Geissele is referred to as "RS", Google search shows that appears to be mean "Real Steel". Used to describe real firearms.

Here's the link with pics: Review: HAO’s HK416 SMR
Ah, ok, yeah this article is perfect. This beoch is 100% fake. Thank you all for your assistance, hopefully, this situation turns around for the better.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
The real ones have it, but does not appear to be simple to unscrew as there's no philips/flat/hex head to unscrew.
^ This, perhaps that is how I should have explained it....apologies for confusion.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Ah, ok, yeah this article is perfect. This beoch is 100% fake. Thank you all for your assistance, hopefully, this situation turns around for the better.
Let us know how the seller treats you please.

Also as far as comparison No I only had a short opportunity to handle one in the past in my buddy's LGS that I occasionally do armorer (not gunsmithing - big difference IMO) work at.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is probably a fake for sure, if you look at the 11 o'clock position it has 5 slots for the rail instead of the newer 4 slots. The older style of rails had the five slots but those are extremely rare and were the first civilian batches I believe. Which a lot of the fake knocks use as their base because obviously it was the first model. They also don't show the screw that connects to the rifle itself which is odd. Those are usually a dead giveaway because they are too circular and not a rounded type box. The other thing imo that is suss is the spots for the screws for mounting.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
We really should work on a comprehensive sticky thread as this comes up quite often on HKPRO. For example, I've seen the QD w/ slots called out in the past, but those exist on all of Geissele website pics. Here's a supposed reputable thread on ARF that captures the HK SMR through its various iterations (The G logo appears!) Geissele all the HK 416s -- A Brief Photo History of the HK 416 SMR - AR15.COM

@everett Do you have the rail screw?what does that look like?
Im pretty sure Augie was a member here but haven't seen him active in a while.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had no idea there were clones that were made that well
I believe it’s more they can still be made well enough for airsoft sort of deal more then anything else. They usually are sold as an airsoft rail on those sites and not a real rail. I’ve used that thread before as reference and forgot they did have some models with the larger G. I do think you should take a look at the screw that comes with it and if I recall the older models came with accessory rails out of the box. Geissele has made many variations of this rail, there are multiple variations missing from that thread even because for the last run they added an extra metal ring for the connecting screw to the rifle.
I’d also like to mention the screw can be screwed in using your bolt, so if it doesn’t plop in that screw perfectly it’s without a doubt fake.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of bad information mixed in with the good but you guys are correct, that is a knock-off. Without getting into technical detail, Geissele has done many in-between changes to Rev A, Rev B, "Rev C" and markings/hardware have varied accordingly.

To our newer remembers, posting details/photos comparing real SMR's to knockoffs only enables Chinese airsoft companies to produce better fakes. That is how we got to where we are now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To our newer remembers, posting details/photos comparing real SMR's to knockoffs only enables Chinese airsoft companies to produce better fakes. That is how we got to where we are now.
might be true. I think more likely and if I was making knockoffs, I would get my hands on the real deal to make a copy.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Actually, in my readings about Hao, it was claimed they reverse engineered a SMR.

Either way, it’s a fair point I had not considered. The mods can decide if the content should remain.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
432 Posts
One of the reasons I much prefer to purchase direct from a manufacturers or authorized dealer website – sometimes the price is higher but they almost always have a discount code once in a while - Caveat emptor

21 - 37 of 37 Posts