HKPRO Forums banner

416 & EoTech

11K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  tomketchum 
#1 ·
Ok, aside from the whole EoTech vrs Aimpoint debate, I have a question. Does the EoTech EXPS3 sit higher than the XPS3? My primary concern is will my BUI's on my 416 (diopter rear sight & flip up front) be visible in the lower 3rd of the window, or does the EXPS3 sit too high to even see the BUI's? I know the XPS3 will work, but I really like the side mounted controls of the EXPS3.

I ask because I was told the EXPS3 was built to sit higher, for use with the magnifier EoTech offers, but I don't know how credible the person who told me this is regarding EoTech.

Thanks

#16 · (Edited)
I've been using a Micro T1 on my 7.5" for the past year over here, and I and others agree that the Micro is no where near as fast as the EOTech for fast acquisition and fast transitioning.

I've seen two Micro's being used on 416's here. One as a primary and one as an offset to a Nightforce NXS 1-4. Other than that, the rest were sporting EOTechs. For me that says a lot.

I've had issues with EOTechs, (spring in the batt cap not being strong enough), ELCAN SpecterDRs (shifting POA/POI when switching magnification, LED turning off, weak adjustment knob breaking off), Aimpoint M4s (entire adjustment module coming out while adjusting for elev/wind, power issues), and ACOG's (shifting POA/POI due to loose reticles from being mounted on heavies, fogged objectives) so no optic is 100% bulletproof. Some may be better than others durability wise, and have longer lasting batteries.

I'll go ahead and keep carrying spares for my EOTechs.

#6 ·
I have an MPOII kit (EXPS and magnifier) and they sit way too high on the MR556 to be comfortable, have no co-witness with HK height irons (stock or troy micros). I'm selling the kit and sticking with the aimpoint T1.

The old school Eotech's work well though, just nothing with a QD lever.

-W

#7 ·
the EXPS models have 7mm QD riser mounts, the standard height EOTechs without riser mounts will cowitness the sights but will be lower third. The older 511/551 models can do the trick but use the N type batteries. the only current models that i think would work are the XPS2 and 3 (including zombie model) and the 512/522. The 553, 516/556, 517 all have the 7mm riser i believe. I have the EOTech 511 and although its lower 1/3 the holographic will stay in the same spot if you happen to peek up above the irons. Its an older sight but works great and I much prefer it's reticle over the aimpoints.. I just wish the N type batteries life was better. Here is my MR with it's 511 on it.

#8 ·
thanks for the info Manik, looks like XPS3 (I periodically use "zombie mode"/NV), I really wish they offered the XPS with the controlls on the side like the EXPS, but oh well.

Starsnuffer, thanks for the info as well. that was what I thought, but wanted to verify it with someone who had tried.

#10 ·
Get a T1 and be done. I have a feeling that there will be a flood of somewhat cheap 4moa ones as soon as the 2moa hits the market.

#11 ·
At this point, I would still opt for the 4 (3.4) MOA version until the 2 MOA has proven itself. I'm not exactly sure what Aimpoint had to do to get the Micro dot that small considering the current version uses the 2 MOA diode out of the M3 and M4 models. It seems to me like the smaller the dot size, the less crisp the edges become. We'll just have to wait and see.

#12 ·
I run a xps3-0 and with the riser it's completely off but I prefer it. When I was working down range we were issued 552 and the lower mount made it less natural for me to hold a good cheek weld. In reality if your main optic goes down I use my dbal visible in the 5 seconds it takes me to pull the sight off with its qd mount and drop it in my dump bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.