HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little late and lot new to the 416 game. My LGS has a 14.5" 416 upper with pinned break to reach 16". I have several questions about this and was hoping I could tap into the collective wisdom of this board. First, asking price for the 416 upper and a regular H&K lower is $3500 - good or bad?

Secondly, could I SBR this to 10.4", get it threaded and suppress it - with appropriate ATF blessing?

Thirdly, are the 416's worth the money in this day and age?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
For $3,500 that's a smoking deal with a MR556 lower. Dealer should probably be asking $6,000 for that setup. Where is it located? :)

Yes, they're worth it. HK416 is still king.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
OP....just make sure you're not getting an MR556, cut down. That sounds WAY TOO CHEAP

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Just bought a 416 14.5 with pinned and welded flash hider.
With Rem RAHG all on a MR556 lower for a good deal at $4500 Just FYI

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
My understanding is that the 416 with 14.5 in upper is more rare, hence more valuable than the 10.4....correct me if I'm wrong. So if you grab that, don't cut it down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My LGS guy got into the habit of taking money for guns/scopes and diverting it for personal use. He screwed way too many folks, including local SWAT/State Patrol/ Police departments, attorneys, MDs plus everyone else. The pyramid crumbled and he is now having a fire sale to try and cover a portion of his liabilities. Amazingly, he has not lost his FFL over this, he has not gone to jail, and although he doesn't have enough in assets to cover all his indebtedness, he will probably cover 50 cents on the dollar. So far, the court is allowing him to sell stuff on his own - what he can't sell by the first of the year goes on the auction block. Thus my good fortune. He also has a Sako 308 with a 6.5 creedmoor barrel as well as several mags, NF AtacR scope, bipod all for $4K I shot that one - a real gem! May try to raise the cash for both. I will post pics in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your help here - sounds like a once in lifetime deal!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Date code Date code Date code. That and of course overall condition should be factored into any asking price. And yes the 14.5's is a bit on the more "rare" side of 416 uppers but then again people desire the 10.4's more. Also as mentioned already make sure its not a clone TD upper or cut down MR.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The easiest giveaway should be the pin on the barrel extension, if its there its certainly not a 416.

Let them remove the handguard, if it has a 25mm barrel between upper and gas block, its not a 416.

If the BCG has a cutout in the front left side below the cam pin, its not a 416 BCG.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The easiest giveaway should be the pin on the barrel extension, if its there its certainly not a 416.

Let them remove the handguard, if it has a 25mm barrel between upper and gas block, its not a 416.

If the BCG has a cutout in the front left side below the cam pin, its not a 416 BCG.

I plan to pick up the gun this Saturday - I will check your bullet points and post pics as well! Thanks all for the great info!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well crap - I took the advice you all posted and inspected the various aspects of a 416 that make it a 416. The upper that was on the gun I inspected did not meet the qualifications you all posted. So - no sale to me. Thanks for: 1) the education, 2) saving me from being taken advantage of, 3) for giving me the small satisfaction of reaming my LGS out for being deceptive and 4) for reaffirming the adage that if it "sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Well crap - I took the advice you all posted and inspected the various aspects of a 416 that make it a 416. The upper that was on the gun I inspected did not meet the qualifications you all posted. So - no sale to me. Thanks for: 1) the education, 2) saving me from being taken advantage of, 3) for giving me the small satisfaction of reaming my LGS out for being deceptive and 4) for reaffirming the adage that if it "sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"
Good for you. I, along with a few more educated on the topic, watch this market very closely....and if you found one for $3500...it was either shot out...or not a 416. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts