417 or 91

Votes: 71 71.0%

Votes: 29 29.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
now that we can have either, if you could only have one which one would you want

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
now that we can have either, which one would you want
Are they mutually exclusive? How about "BOTH"? I already own 3 rifles with 91 receivers, but plan on getting at least one HK416 and one HK417 as well. No way I'm getting rid of the others, but will definitely add some of the new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they mutually exclusive? How about "BOTH"? I already own 3 rifles with 91 receivers, but plan on getting at least one HK416 and one HK417 as well. No way I'm getting rid of the others, but will definitely add some of the new ones.
oops, kinda left that part out

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
both for me too... I don'te even know how to decide one over the other?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would rather have the 417. Better mounting options for optics being the main reason. I guees if you have a sear the 91 may be cool for full auto but I would still rather the 417 sear or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stop the Nonsense

We must all get a 416 and 417,

Then and maybe then , other importers will pressure the right people in high places to start allowing other models in not only HK models

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It really depends. I think a 417/415 will be in my future, although it depends if the 417 is designated as "restricted" in Canada, rather than Non-restricted.

The 9X series all all prohibeted, so nobody can get them anyways, but if the 417 ends up being considered non-restricted, i'd definatly be in for one.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just took the 91 to the range today. If I had to choose between one or the other I'd keep my 91. I'd rather own my 91 and a 417 as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If the 417 can shot sub 1 moa, then I think it will take off. The 91 takes a lot to make it a tac driver. Yes if you build a msg/psg clone you can get a nice target. But If the 417 can do that out of the box with a good optic. The HK will be better off.

If HK offers say 12/16/20" options to all of us. Then I'm down with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I vote for a 417 kit w/ a 20" upper and 10.5-12" upper to go along with it. Some of the ole' :4: & some rock'n'roll :28: ... what's not to like!

It's my dream but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's about a pipe...

Byte

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a bushmaster .308 and love it.

I also have a G3 etc.

If you consider the bush .308 to be somewhat equal to the 417 (I know, blasphemous on this board, but has anyone actually handled and shot a 417 personally yet?); I would stick with the 91.

Reasons:

Mags for the G3 are cheap and everywhere

Parts for the G3 are cheap and everywhere

G3 is user-serviceable- is the 417? If you break a part and need service, how is HK customer/warranty service?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Apples and Oranges..,

I think the two weapons are apples and oranges when comparing them. One is the forbidden fruit of the Ban that has won more conflicts and battle proven itself to the point of being a part of history like the 1911 and M1 Garrand. The Other is Gene Stoners creature with lipstick. So yes I will own a 417 but my dressed out 91 will be my faithful companion.
The 417 may never be in our hands and I find if funny all of the hype the "interweb" can create amongst people over a possibility. If heels are drug at all it will be caught in the next wave of "GC" that will probably be crammed down our throats. I hope the tea leaves are wrong but......
True HK people will have a couple of each. It has become an elitist collectors group these days due to the cost going so high. When a P7K3 with conversion cost 4 times what my first car did these are strange times indeed:)
But I love HK:put it on toilet paper I'll buy it!
P.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If the 417 can shot sub 1 moa, then I think it will take off. The 91 takes a lot to make it a tac driver. Yes if you build a msg/psg clone you can get a nice target. But If the 417 can do that out of the box with a good optic. The HK will be better off.

If HK offers say 12/16/20" options to all of us. Then I'm down with it.
The 91 was never intended to be a target rifle out of the box. It is a civilian copy of the G3 battle rifle. Most battle rifles won't shoot to target standards. That's not what they are designed to do. That's not to say they aren't accurate. My 91 is more than capable of taking deer, black bear, or other medium North American game cleanly and efficiently scoped, or with iron sights. It is also capable of hitting a man sized target at combat range in what is usually considered the kill zone. The 417, if designed as a battle rifle, will likely perform to the same standards. Reliability and lethality combined with combat accuracy. Sniper rifles are specifically designed, or modified to exceed the battle rifles accuracy over distance. They are a special purpose weapon. A 91 can be modified to be a target rifle, but then that's what the PSG1 was designed to do from the ground up. I think the 416/417 will be accurate, but not by design, or performance will they be target/sniper rifles. Will the 417 shoot sub 1 MOA out of the box? That remains to be seen. Will it perform well as a battle rifle... I think you can count on that. As for target versions only HK knows if they plan to produce one. Otherwise you'll have to modify the 417, or any other battle rifle to perform well as a target rifle. Most AR type manufacturers have created target versions of their standard models. My guess would be that HK would providing the 416/417 become a reality in the states as a civilian product and they sell well. That's still a huge if. JMHO

·
Registered
110 Posts
comparison

nobody said a word about humping these things around. the weight of my 91 seems less fun to carry around versus maybe a 417. anyone know? 14 lbs loaded versus....... bob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well it's easy for me, already have the 91 covered. Bring on the 417, 416 also for that matter.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The 417 looks great and would nice to have one. However, if I can only have one it would be the 91/G3. It's time tested and battle proven the world over.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts