HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this was covered already so keep all pithy comments to thine self-

I was looking at the pics on the HKPRO front page and it seems they have changes the magwell on the 417

Are they not going to accept G3 mags anymore?

And why the change?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry if this was covered already so keep all pithy comments to thine self-

I was looking at the pics on the HKPRO front page and it seems they have changes the magwell on the 417

Are they not going to accept G3 mags anymore?

And why the change?

Thanks
In the thread, HKPRO says they'll have a proprietary polymer mag.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the thread, HKPRO says they'll have a proprietary polymer mag.

Ah ok. Why the change? More money/profit, or other reasons?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,803 Posts
Not being "pithy", but I do not think that the 417 was ever designed to use G3 mags. All the protos that I saw and all the early pictures showed a polymer mag. If I were to opine, I would suggest that there are many reasons for the decision. The G3 mag is an old design with no bolt hold open. No BHO is a pretty big go/no go for modern rifles. Also, using G3 mags would practically eliminate the desire for many dealers to try and sell spares. The last G3 mags that I bought were 50 for $50 on the net. That's pretty tough to compete with. The reality is that dealers do try to make a few dollars on the margin of accessories. Given that margins are pretty thin on the weapons (not all, but many), HK wants dealers to be as happy as possible.

Selling the civvie version of the weapon = happy customers.
Selling new mags that work better = happy dealers (and customers, too!)

·
Registered
554 Posts
All the early pictures I have seen and the guns in person did not have the plastic mags but metal mags. There is a picture with the G-8 drum installed.
At least one 417 receiver used a modified G-3 magazine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it were me, I'd want to sell all the $60 mags I could. The DPMS and Armalite 308 mags are all in that range as are M14 mags. What motivation would a company have for eliminating that sales opportunity? Plus, based on my impressions of the superb magazines HK has produced for the UMP and G36, I'd say I'd much rather prefer the new mag. Armalite was plagued with mag issues on the early AR10's and eventually went to the modified M14 mad. DPMS also had mag issues. For some reason the only people to ever get 308 to feed out of a box mag have been HK with the G3 and FN with the FAL

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
For some reason the only people to ever get 308 to feed out of a box mag have been HK with the G3 and FN with the FAL
Fine point: don't for get the Galil. Their .308 mags have been dependable, too.
I pretty much agree with what's been said- it's an accessories selling point to go with a new mag. With some extra work the G3 unit could probably be made to BHO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All the early pictures I have seen and the guns in person did not have the plastic mags but metal mags. There is a picture with the G-8 drum installed.
At least one 417 receiver used a modified G-3 magazine.

My guess is that HK had a pile of every 308 mag ever made and tried every one of them in the 417 magwell. Magazines have always been the Achille's heel of the AR-10 type rifles.

·
Super Moderator
4,386 Posts
If you read the story completely, you'll find that the ONLY 417 that ever used the G3 mags was an early PROTOTYPE. None of the later prototypes and none of the pre-production or production models have ever used the G3 mags.

I can see why this would be the decision--both for the BHO issue and for the profit margin isssue. Either way--I can't wait to get my hands on a 417!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you read the story completely, you'll find that the ONLY 417 that ever used the G3 mags was an early PROTOTYPE. None of the later prototypes and none of the pre-production or production models have ever used the G3 mags.

I can see why this would be the decision--both for the BHO issue and for the profit margin isssue. Either way--I can't wait to get my hands on a 417!
I havnt really followed the issue as i never was concerned about having one and damn sure couldnt afford the upper, so that was probably the one I saw, with the real high cut magwell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts