HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this barrel by HDPS fit on a stock HK USC, non converted? I found this quote on their website, "All barrels are compatible with USC bolt/carrier and UMP bolt/carrier and are drop in replacements for your HK USC or UMP conversions (NFA rules apply)" If it does fit and I do not change the lower for 25 rnd capacity and keep the usc stock, will I be in violation of the 922r?

I just want a SBR USC, not interested in making the full USC/UMP conversion due to the lack of 25 rnd mags.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yep..that barrel would work just fine and No violation of 922r due to the barrel being USA made..just don't install it until your NFA paperwork is approved and your tax stamp is returned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks so much!!! They actually sell 2 barrels, one threaded and one with the flange. Anyone have any experience with threaded flash suppressors vs the pronged variety?

·
Registered
780 Posts
When I still had my SBR conversion, I took a photo in the stock USC configuration and must say it looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I still had my SBR conversion, I took a photo in the stock USC configuration and must say it looked pretty cool.

Yeah that is what I invisioned, it does look nice! I guess you got the flanged barrel; the one that accepts the pronged Flash Supressor, the flanged looks nice alone actually; as opposed to just having the threaded one!

·
Registered
765 Posts
922(r) states that any rifle that would not be legal for importation, may not contain more than 10 foreign made parts (of those 20 considered integral to a firearm). This usually applies to conversions that modify the receiver to accept high capacity magazines.
You haven't converted it to high capacity, but I believe that a SBR is still not importable and therefor subject to 922(r). Someone more knowlegeable may chime in. You could go probably go ask in the NFA section of this forum, or check with your local ATF office.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're going to need two more parts for 922(r) compliance. From what I understand, you can't modify any of the parts that are on the 922(r) list without then meeting the minimum 10 out of 16 requirement. I wouldn't worry about it, though, just buy a Promag for $20-$25, toss it in your rifle case if anyone asks about it (absolutely nobody will) and you're good to go. My UMP conversion is actually missing one part to make it compliant but no one has ever brought it up to me at the half-dozen or so ranges I've shot it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the 922r input. I was under the impression if you had augmented the rnd capacity > 10, added a folding stock and SBR, then 922r would apply. Basically 922r comes into play when you make your gun look like a UMP and augment the rnd capacity greater then 10, that is only information that I gathered online. I did speak with the fellow at HKparts.net and I was talking to him about adding an 8 inch barrel to a USC and he said all I need is to send off a Form 1, no mention of 922r.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I think it has to be considered an assault weapon. Features of an assault weapon are things like hi capacity detachable magazines, pistol grips, flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc. That's all I've ever heard required 922r compliance. Somebody please find the answer to this. 922r is for non sporting weapons. A short barrel doesn't make a non sporting weapon.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The barrel will work but the gun is not importable in that configuration so.......non compliant. No different than your(generic) MAK90 with the thumbhole stock or FMP G3 with a spot welded thread protector. Switch those for a standard stock or flash hider, well you get the picture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so if I do what The Punisher did, ie Change the Barrel from 16 inches to 7.85 inches and kept everything else stock, I would still have to deal with 922r? That just means that so many parts in the gun has to be made in the USA, right? Any suggestions as to what I should swap out? Honestly, I would do the full conversion, if the 45 cal, 25 rnd mags were available...

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Okay so if I do what The Punisher did, ie Change the Barrel from 16 inches to 7.85 inches and kept everything else stock, I would still have to deal with 922r? That just means that so many parts in the gun has to be made in the USA, right? Any suggestions as to what I should swap out? Honestly, I would do the full conversion, if the 45 cal, 25 rnd mags were available...
You forgot to say "if the UMP stock was also available" :wink:
You'll need 3 parts to be 922r compliant. Your HDPS barrel is counted as one. Trigger, sear, or ProMag mag like kabob has mentioned are also compliant parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You forgot to say "if the UMP stock was also available" :wink:
You'll need 3 parts to be 922r compliant. Your HDPS barrel is counted as one. Trigger, sear, or ProMag mag like kabob has mentioned are also compliant parts.
Okay thanks, thats not too bad. I will have the barrel, so I guess the trigger and sear will be the other 2 since I have 4 10 rnd factory HK mags.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You could also use the barrel and the magazine follower and floorplate for 3 parts. You won't be using the UMP mags (if you can get them) on any other gun.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Correct, there are no compliant parts available for the USC mags that I'm aware of. I think Praetorian was thinking he was doing the full conversion since not many people opt for an SBR version of just the USC. I don't blame them, that thing looks... "special" :20000000:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts