HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my USP Expert for about three years now. I have 2,250 rounds down the pipe and I'm not very happy with the gun. I do not alter my guns, I like them as they are from the factory. Night sights and light/lasers are a different story.

On Sunday I took my USP Expert out to the range and put 250 rounds of range reloads through it. It was cheap crap ammo but it went boom and hit the target. I'm surprised to see how well I shot with it. Here's the problem. Numerous times (I lost count) the slide would fail to go fully into battery. I would have to push it forward with my thumb and then pull the trigger again and it would shoot.

Now before you say it was the ammo, let me just say, that I have had this problem with American Eagle and Winchester White Box ammo before. I've read on here that the Experts need a longer break in period. With 2,250, I think I'm past that. I know it's not me. I have other HKs; 4 other USP .45's, and I never had a problem with them.

I can't help it say that I am a little disappointed with the Expert, it's one of my more expensive HKs and I baby it like nobody's business. I even have a round count book for it. I can tell you how many of what I fired when and where.

Oh well, I was thinking of getting rid of it. But I think the best thing to do is throw it in the safe and forget I have it for now.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS I clean the Expert after each range trip. It went to the range on Sunday a clean, lubed up USP Ecpert.

I should also say that the gun started having this problem after the first 150 rounds were fired.

·
Registered
234 Posts
loupav,

Sorry to hear about your Expert problems. From your discription, it sounds like the round is making it into the chamber, but the slide doesn't completely close in to battery. Correct?

The first thing I'd look at is the extractor. Make sure it doesn't have any burrs or other irregularities. Also, using a toothbrush handle or similar non marring tool, depress the rear most portion of the extractor to make sure it moves freely without any excessive friction. you might spray the extractor recesses out with some WD-40 or CorrosionX just to make sure there isn't any crud in the channel. Use the toothbrush handle and let the lube work inside under the extractor.

Next, have a good look at the chamber. Field strip the pistol and make sure a round will drop into the chamber easily without any binding or friction. You may consider getting something like a Wilson chamber brush to scrub your chamber clean. You might also give the feed ramp and chamber interior a good cleaning with some Flitz just to make sure it's as smooth as possible.

You didn't mention weather or not you tried different magazines, but if you haven't that's yet another thing to check. I've got a Glock 22 that has been stone cold reliable for well over 10 years. One day at the range it started to jam on the last round of one particular magazine. It ended up being a weak spring in the mag, not a problem with the gun.

Best of luck with your Expert. I hope you get the issue resolved and your confidence is restored.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I have 2 Experts and they have been perfect. Right out of the box they worked but I noticed the slide would some times be slow going forward but after a couple of hundred rounds that problem has never come up again. I would give HK a call and probably send the gun to them, they do have a life time warranty. This would probably be the first thing I do. It should be very well broke in by this point. Give HK a call, they will take care of you!

Dave

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Germanic! I'll print out your response and try it at home tonight. Hopefully it works, if I think I got good results out of the procedure you recommended, I'll take her out to the range and post a report. By the way, this happened with all magazines.

Thanks!

Should it nothing progress, I'll call HK as dtibbals said.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
...Next, have a good look at the chamber. Field strip the pistol and make sure a round will drop into the chamber easily without any binding or friction. You may consider getting something like a Wilson chamber brush to scrub your chamber clean. You might also give the feed ramp and chamber interior a good cleaning with some Flitz just to make sure it's as smooth as possible...

I had this problem with my Walther GSP .32 S&W Long. It occured as multiple FTF´s during one 5 rnd magazine. I didn´t noticed the residues on the chamber myself. It took a professional to notice it.

Miku

·
Registered
87 Posts
Break in period.... here we go again. Can someone direct me to the section in my USP manual that discusses a break in period. Your right, it doesn't exist. I wonder if the problem isn't more closely related to an ineffective second distal phalanx?

·
Registered
269 Posts
well to this posters defense my Experts also had a slow slide forward for the first 500 rounds or so but went away. They are a tighter gun then a standard USP. Now they never did not work it was just you could feel the slide have a delay and slidding forward. But after that many rounds there is a bigger issue.

Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
sounds like either an issue with the extractor not gripping the rim of the case correctly, or a weak recoil spring. Just stopping short, not going fully into battering-weak recoil spring; not enough juice to bring it home, or the round is feeding weird and their is allot of friction when it's going into the chamber. Sometimes you can check your recoil spring by doing the following. With an empty pistol, ride the slide forward real slow. If at any point you can let go and the slide doesn't snap closed; either stops completely or barely creeps forward, likely culprit ss the recoil spring. Here's a trick to check your extractor. First, use a snap cap or at least put the safety on . Load it into the mag and begin to chamber it very slow..riding the slide. As the round comes out of the magazine, pops up onto the breach face, drop the mag with ease. The road should still dangle there. It might dip slightly, but should be able to be moved in and out of the chamber. Make sure it's not going in at a weird angle. With USP's, the round should barely touch the feed ramp-so if its going straight for it, that is also a problem. Be careful and good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts