HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the gun show today and held a HK45 for the first time. To quote my teenage daughter...OMG!! This pistol seemed to melt into my medium sized hand and felt great. I have no doubt it would feel just as great to shoot. I wasn't able to try out a USP .45. Are the ergos that much different?
I'm still a little giddy as I've always assumed I would only be able to feel comfortable with a compact version thinking my hand size would rule out the full size models.
All things being equal, I do like the compacts but I would prefer a full size at this time. Would appreciate any feedback from all on this subject, especially from the average hand size guys.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I own all of those mentioned and personally, I like the USP 45 over the HK45. There's something mystic about the USP 45 IMO. Now, the all time sweet heart is the HK45 Compact. There's absolutely nothing the HK45 does that the HK45 Compact can't do. You can always make the HK45 Compact larger with the elephant hoof magazines, but you can't make the HK45 smaller. Best of luck with your decision but honestly, don't buy anything until you at least look and handle all of them.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have the fullsize HK45 and usp45, they are both excellent guns. Grip wise the HK45 wins, but the usp holds two more rds. Pick your poison man!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Grip, grip, grip, find the one fit the best, You got shoot them both.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is carrying concealed a priority? If so, the compact has an edge. I like the size of the HK45 myself.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I own all of those mentioned and personally, I like the USP 45 over the HK45. There's something mystic about the USP 45 IMO. Now, the all time sweet heart is the HK45 Compact. There's absolutely nothing the HK45 does that the HK45 Compact can't do. You can always make the HK45 Compact larger with the elephant hoof magazines, but you can't make the HK45 smaller. Best of luck with your decision but honestly, don't buy anything until you at least look and handle all of them.
This is as good a answer as you will ever get. I have a HK45 (just got this week) and had 3 HK45c's. The compact's to me are HK's best offering! If i did not have a health issue's one being disc/ nerve damage. The 3 HK45c's would still be with me. My hand's are xl so the fullsize gun's are fine. The recoil is really not bad but seem's the compact's bothered me.

May have been in my head some since i now think i should have kept one compact to shoot at time's..as gtmtnbiker said the
HK45c their that Good..very accurate and would be a perfect carry .45!!

The USP to me is still a Top Tier gun. I carry a USPc 9mm everyday. In it's first day's the ergo's on the USP were considered very good and to me still just fine...my next will be another USP .45 i started with long ago. Amazed me in the mid '90's and still would..

I know a member who live's not far from me who has both HK45 and HK45c i hope to shoot both of his and see then might get another "c"..all these enabler's here cost me. But you will most Likely get them all anyway...... :wink:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The HK45 is a fantastic handgun by all means. I was very very close to getting one but at the last second I changed my mind and bought another USP45. gtmtnbiker is right. There is something about the USP.45 that just makes it "mystical". I fall in love with it everytime I shoot it. Over and over.

I now own two completely Identical USP .45 fullsizes (different date code) and I couldn't be happier. I like fullsizes better than compacts...

While it is true that the HK45c can do everything that the HK45 can do. I still prefer the fullsize for a couple reasons.

I shoot them better.
Higher mag capacity USP-12 HK45-10 HK45c-8 (10w/elephant foot mag).
Higher round count service life (not really an issue if you dont shoot much but for me the tougher the better).

I'd go with the fullsize if this is the first true fullsize you have ever felt comfortable with. Whichever you choose HK does not dissappoint...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The HK45 is a fantastic handgun by all means. I was very very close to getting one but at the last second I changed my mind and bought another USP45. gtmtnbiker is right. There is something about the USP.45 that just makes it "mystical". I fall in love with it everytime I shoot it. Over and over.

I now own two completely Identical USP .45 fullsizes (different date code) and I couldn't be happier. I like fullsizes better than compacts...

While it is true that the HK45c can do everything that the HK45 can do. I still prefer the fullsize for a couple reasons.

I shoot them better.
Higher mag capacity USP-12 HK45-10 HK45c-8 (10w/elephant foot mag).
Higher round count service life (not really an issue if you dont shoot much but for me the tougher the better).

I'd go with the fullsize if this is the first true fullsize you have ever felt comfortable with. Whichever you choose HK does not dissappoint...

Congrat's on the twin's!!...no doubt the USP .45 is one amazing gun. I shot mine most every week-end for many year's. I think Todd Green did a endurance test on a HK45. I know about his P30 test so as long as it's a HK the gun is Top Tier imo...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great responses! In a sick (but good) way I'm starting to gain clarity thanks to these "cultist" no "dedicated enthusiast" replies. I do see a compact and full size in my (hopefully) near future.

Much thanks :wink:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Too bad lead bullets are a no-no in these fine 45's. I have two excellent moulds whose bullets have to be consigned to other pistols...makes for shooting HK 45's a tad more expensive.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Best of luck with your decision but honestly, don't buy anything until you at least look and handle all of them.
This info is a bit wrong IMO.

Just buy them all, and enjoy them all and decide for yourself :D

As you said gtmtnbiker, you did as did I.

Sent from my Thunderbolt in the future, using SkyNet

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well let me throw in my 2 cents and I have to say that I prefer the HK45c. I agree with GT that the HK45c will do anything that the HK45 can. I will say this that the entire HK line-up of pistols have a PROVEN TRACK RECORD of reliability, endurance, erogonomics all that we have come to accept and enjoy, so with that being said choose which ever pistols suits your needs and requirements and have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Too bad lead bullets are a no-no in these fine 45's. I have two excellent moulds whose bullets have to be consigned to other pistols...makes for shooting HK 45's a tad more expensive.
Don't tell my HKs that! No leading and very accurate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts