HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards nothing can hurt a Mark 23, but does anyone know if I can shoot 45 super in it?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
For those interested, 45 super will throw a 230g projectile 200 fps faster and with 200+ ft pounds more energy than the 45acp. That's a little slower, than a 124g 9mm projectile and at almost twice the energy and 100 fps faster and 100 ft pounds more energy than a 200g 40 S&W projectile.

...course 45 win mag is 200 fps faster and has 400 ft pounds more energy than does 45 super with identical 230g projectiles... hehe I love the big bang cartridges. A Mark23 in 45 win mag would be awesome.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,550 Posts
Hmm... Now considering getting a barrel made for the Mark 23 in .460 Rowland... <<< that is a hyper link!

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,550 Posts
.460 has the same OAL as the .45 ACP. The actual case is longer, though. This is done so that you cannot accidentally drop one in a .45 barrel. There is some *huge* pressure in the thing. In general, .460 R barrels are comp'd to make up for what just cannot be done with a heavier spring. And now that I am thinking about it, why not? Get an after market barrel that's already extended and threaded and mount a comp on the end. Ream the chamber to accept the new round and giddy up. I've got a Springfield 1911 that I converted to .460 Rowland that is one helluva pig dropper. I would imaging that this bad boy as a Mark 23 would be just stunning.

Side note: the RBCD rounds for the .460 are, for all intents and purposes, miniaturized RPG's. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
462 Posts
.460 has the same OAL as the .45 ACP. The actual case is longer, though. This is done so that you cannot accidentally drop one in a .45 barrel. There is some *huge* pressure in the thing. In general, .460 R barrels are comp'd to make up for what just cannot be done with a heavier spring. And now that I am thinking about it, why not? Get an after market barrel that's already extended and threaded and mount a comp on the end. Ream the chamber to accept the new round and giddy up. I've got a Springfield 1911 that I converted to .460 Rowland that is one helluva pig dropper. I would imaging that this bad boy as a Mark 23 would be just stunning.

Side note: the RBCD rounds for the .460 are, for all intents and purposes, miniaturized RPG's. Just sayin'...
I have also considered 460, but only in a 1911. My reason was that I couldnt find a bbl for the mk 23. It seems to me that a Mark 23 if set up properly would be better suited for it than a 1911. If you do this, I would be very interested to know how it works.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Market it as "StraightGrain's Hand Howitzer"...because a .50 is just inhumane

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
..I have never been interested in .45's till coming to this place. lol I love my 9 & 10mm's but the sheer idea of a Mk23 and a .45super or .460Roland just makes me weak in the knees.

Can a standard HK45 or USP45 (in any version) handle the .45 super?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
..I have never been interested in .45's till coming to this place. lol I love my 9 & 10mm's but the sheer idea of a Mk23 and a .45super or .460Roland just makes me weak in the knees.

Can a standard HK45 or USP45 (in any version) handle the .45 super?
Yes out of the full size although if you plan to shoot alot of 45 super, you might need to upgrade the recoil spring. The Mark can take it without modification.

Here's a vid shooting super through a usp tactical

Ammo Testing with .45 Super from HK USP Tactical - YouTube

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey azimuth, have you any info on firing the .45 Super in the HK45?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes out of the full size although if you plan to shoot alot of 45 super, you might need to upgrade the recoil spring. The Mark can take it without modification.

Here's a vid shooting super through a usp tactical

Ammo Testing with .45 Super from HK USP Tactical - YouTube
The video is good, and the info is there but....
That guy spent like a week trolling my youtube channel and then made that video. I have a very short/poor quality video of my tac and 45 super on youtube. He preceded to spam me about how bad mine was and made his own lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
where does one buy .45 super ammo? lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts