HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Hk45ct and fired 200rds today gun functions great feel of the gun great heavy lem not so great. The gun is a v7 and my question is what springs do I need to convert it to the light lem?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The light firing pin block spring block spring may already be in the piston, but it's only $5. You ALSO need the standard V1 hammer spring (mainspring). Part number is in your manual (mine is not handy).

-- Chuck

·
Registered
815 Posts
+1 hammer spring

The light firing pin block spring block spring may already be in the piston, but it's only $5. You ALSO need the standard V1 hammer spring (mainspring). Part number is in your manual (mine is not handy).

-- Chuck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why do you need the other V1 hammer spring? In the LEM trigger variant the hammer spring does not affect the trigger pull at all. If you question this take the backstrap off of an unloaded HK45, 45c, or P30, rack the slide, and dry fire it while watching the hammer spring. It does not move until the hammer is released. It doesn't affect your trigger pull at all as the gun is fully cocked when the slide is racked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking this also thou I dont have any experince with the lem syst. I would think by looking at it that the trs and block spring is were the adjustment would be. I should get my springs tues so I'll find out.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Why do you need the other V1 hammer spring? In the LEM trigger variant the hammer spring does not affect the trigger pull at all. If you question this take the backstrap off of an unloaded HK45, 45c, or P30, rack the slide, and dry fire it while watching the hammer spring. It does not move until the hammer is released. It doesn't affect your trigger pull at all as the gun is fully cocked when the slide is racked.
Put the heavy one in and pull the trigger.
Put the light one in and pull the trigger.

Then try and tell me there is no difference, because there is.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

I agree. The amount of pressure put on the cocking piece by the hammer strut is greater with heavier spring. That translates into more force needs to overcome that. It's not much but it's different. If it wasn't they wouldn't make different springs.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
It doesn't affect the trigger pull, but it does affect the force required to pull the sear away from the hammer. It's friction, not spring compression.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Trigger is affected by pressure applied to the sear surfaces. The more pressure by the hammer spring/mainspring, the more weight the trigger will support without tripping the sear.

The easiest way to lighten ANY trigger weight (pull is an inaccurate term) is to lighten the mainspring.

The LEM hammer spring is much stiffer than the V1.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
18 Posts
It doesn't affect the trigger pull, but it does affect the force required to pull the sear away from the hammer. It's friction, not spring compression.
This I understand and do agree with. I was under the impression that we were discussing the weight of the LEM take up before the break. My reasoning for assuming this is that even in the 5.5lb LEM kits HK offers a new hammer spring even though the standard DA/SA hammer spring would already be in the gun being converted. Why would they send a new hammer spring if it was not intended to be installed?

Example:
HK45C LEM, LEM kit - HKPARTS.NET

When I installed my LEM kit in my fullsize HK45, I assumed that the heavier hammer spring was to allow it to withstand the extra pressure (in a duty situation) of being cocked all the time. The heavier spring would not lose its tension as quickly when compressed for an extended amount of time. Therefore, I was under the impression that it was part of the LEM design and should be installed if the gun is going to be kept loaded for a long time. Am I wrong in this understanding?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
My understanding is just there are three springs that can be installed in different combinations for light, medium & heavy. There of course is also the Todd Green special for the P30. I don't think it matters for spring life but could have an effect I guess.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
There is no Light LEM kit I'm aware of.

The kit has springs for LEM (AKA Heavy LEM) and that includes a very heavy hammer spring. Listed as reliability enhancement.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.. This afternoon I put in the firing pin block spring (easy) and the trigger return spring (pain in the [email protected])that I got from HK PARTS and am pleased to say I now have a nice 5.6 lb trigger pull. I did not change the hammer spring as I had already ordered the parts and did not know to get one. I am happy with the new trigger and plan to leave it as it is now. Big thank you to all that responded!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts

I tried it. And you are definitely correct. I now have the standard V1 spring in, as with the V1 hammer spring, the trigger break is much smoother. Thanks for the info, and the recommendation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts