HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's been asked before, but I just noticed it today on mine. Has anyone noticed their mags wearing through at the mag catch? I was testing out some mags today that I bought off a member here, and noticed it so I checked the ones I have had since new and they are the same. Right in the middle of the catch point they have a hole, not very big, maybe an eighth of an inch long. It's almost like the grind went a little too deep. Only noticed it on my 10 rounders, I didn't have the eight rounders with me. They all work fine and I have never had an issue, but seems odd none the less. Anyone else noticed this with theirs?

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's normal. They all have a hole in the mag body underneath/behind the mag notch.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Are these factory mags or aftermarket?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I kinda forgot about my own thread! Yea, that's what I'm talking about. My 8 rounders don't do it but the tens do. Just thought it odd and figured I'd ask. It's possible, not very, but possible for a follower or spring coil to hang up on that I would think. If it gets worse anyway.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Odd.

I don't know if there are size variances with that hole, or if certain magazine production dates don't have such, but I'm sure it's not something that's being caused, or worsened, by the mag catch. There just isn't enough friction to cause that type of wear, and if there was, it would be wearing the mag catch tab down as well.

Every metal USP magazine I've personally seen (recalling from memory and on hand) has that hole there.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pictures as of yet. I'm not savvy enough to post them, or I would post pics of my combat competition in the other thread too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ok, my memory failed me. ;)

I looked over 49 different USP magazines that I could get my hands on at the moment.

None of the 12 round USP 45 mags have the hole, nor do any of the USP Compact 9mm mags.

On the USP Compact 45 (8 round) and 40/357 (12 round) magazines, some do and some don't, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. Oldest production stuff, to newest production stuff, both heavily used and brand new, are just random with it. The holes also vary in size, and some of the highest round count mags don't have the hole.

I recall seeing a post by G3Kurz mentioning some outsourcing. Perhaps it just varies with whomever actually produces the magazine bodies, or there may be some tolerance variation in production?

Curiosity aside, I really don't think it's an issue, and not something to be concerned about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts