HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been reloading for 2-3 years and I just tried to shoot them with my 45 tac. They kept jamming. First round would feed fine then fire recoil eject fine... then the next round the action would lock up maybe a half of an inch too short. I couldn't move it by hand at all. All I could do was push into battery and fire. So I did but after putting in an empty mag.

Any ideas.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds as if your crimp die needs to come down a bit. Not knowing what kind of press or process you're using, usually, when the crimp has not been fully swaged down against the bullet, you'll get too much mouth diameter which will hang up on either the feed ramp, or on the chamber walls.

I have found that a solid taper crimp (Lee Factory Crimp die or Dillon) works great through many thousands of rounds of lead SWC reloads. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the bullet edge should contact the feed ramp, not the brass case. For my SWC loads, I leave a fingernail's width of lead bullet shoulder exposed above the case rim, and they feed 100%. Any less, and the rounds will catch on the feed ramp or the top of the chamber.

Grab your calipers and check the case mouth dimensions against a reloading manual and you may find your problem. Good luck, and report back,

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
+1 on longduck, also try checking the overall length.

When i first started reloading with my Mark23, i had the OAL set to within "spec" but they were too long, and they would lag in the magazine, causing some misfeeds.

The first round would load fine, but the lack of feeding would cause the next round to try and load at a 45 degree angle, or it would go in but jamb into the top of the chamber, or something dumb like that. I Set the OAL to a bit shorter, and havn't had any problems in over 3500 rounds :)

So if your crimp is okay, it may be the OAL, but it does sound like the crimp is getting caught up on some stuff, it should be nice and smooth.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I been reloading for 2-3 years and I just tried to shoot them with my 45 tac. They kept jamming. First round would feed fine then fire recoil eject fine... then the next round the action would lock up maybe a half of an inch too short. I couldn't move it by hand at all. All I could do was push into battery and fire. So I did but after putting in an empty mag.

Any ideas.
I build my cartridges exactly for the particular gun I will fire them in, as opposed to trying to do the one size fits all thing. . .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Purchase a Lee Factory Crimper/Sizer die and use it as your last step in the reload process to eliminate those fat base rounds. I can almost guarantee your problem will go away. It'll be the best $10.00 you've ever spent. I use them on all my pistol calibers -- they simply work...

Also, depending on bullet design, keep OAL at or below 1.250". Wadcutters about 1.220"...

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I used to load 200gr swc for my IPSC load and also used them in my Tac. I had the same thing, slide just short of locking up, small push with thumbs and fire away. I added a little to the taper crimp and all was fine after that. Run like a champ and very accurate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea when I noticed that they wouldn't easily chamber all the way I bought that Lee factory crimp die. But would that explain why I couldn't get the round out by hand?

I definitely will try to change the OAL I have it set at 1.265-ish.
I'll also add a little more taper crimp.
I just figured they run fine in my Para Carry LDA and every other 45 I own.
Thanks for the tips I'll let y'all know how it go.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Most definitely. A slightly excess bell left on the case mouth can jam that round in the chamber tighter than a tick on a dog. The excess bell can jam up good and tight in the chamber and make it very difficult to move the slide back to clear the weapon. The Lee die is good advice and will clear up the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds as if your crimp die needs to come down a bit. Not knowing what kind of press or process you're using, usually, when the crimp has not been fully swaged down against the bullet, you'll get too much mouth diameter which will hang up on either the feed ramp, or on the chamber walls.

I have found that a solid taper crimp (Lee Factory Crimp die or Dillon) works great through many thousands of rounds of lead SWC reloads. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the bullet edge should contact the feed ramp, not the brass case. For my SWC loads, I leave a fingernail's width of lead bullet shoulder exposed above the case rim, and they feed 100%. Any less, and the rounds will catch on the feed ramp or the top of the chamber.

Grab your calipers and check the case mouth dimensions against a reloading manual and you may find your problem. Good luck, and report back,
+ 1 longneck. Another thing to check might be the cartridge overall length, if the round is too short it will hit the feed ramp late and create a type of 3 point jam. I had this problem with my usp 45 until I seated them not quite so deep and have had no problems since.

To my various usp's credit, they have never jammed on factory ammo. When I make crappy reloads they will only occasionlly jam, but even then they will eat most of them no problem. It seems like improper reloads are about the only thing that will give a usp any problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had the same problems with my USP. I found that if the OAL was closer to the minimum they do better. I still have problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I took my newly reloaded 45acp with a little more crimp and all worked out well. I personally didn't have any problems after applying a lee factory crimp die to the rounds. However my a girl I was shooting with was exeriencing jams but I know it was a limp wrist issue. This was only her 3rd time shooting. So... ps she loved my clone 94 as much as my girlfriend.

Thanks again for all your help I ended up putting the bullets just a hair over the Minimum OAL and maybe an eigth of an inch crimp which, as along as these reloads function, shouldn't be too much I hope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts