HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been one week since I picked up my pistol, and have exactly 550 rounds through it, with zero faliures. Dirty yes, but only took one hour 10 minute's to clean/lube. The only noticable wear is atop the barrel, but everything else look's fairly new. Some of the finish is wearing off the high area's on the slide release, but that's fine. Feel's smoother than it did a week ago too. Overall, I LOVE this pistol! Even after a week, it's still hard not to pick it up. I can see another one in the future, along with the compact model.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got to handle one today in San Antonio, TX. It felt really nice. The larger backing was on it. It was number 484 and it was $1,099. I thought that was a little pricey. I saw some other folks getting if for $864 plus shipping.

I would have purchased it on the spot, but I don't live in Texas. My girlfriend does. I live in California. So I cannot buy it yet, because it is not on the approved handgun list yet.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
You get the same treatment as when I was waiting on my P30 which means until I have mine in hand......I HATE YOU! After I have mine you will be ok again.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I got to handle one today in San Antonio, TX. It felt really nice. The larger backing was on it. It was number 484 and it was $1,099. I thought that was a little pricey. I saw some other folks getting if for $864 plus shipping.

I would have purchased it on the spot, but I don't live in Texas. My girlfriend does. I live in California. So I cannot buy it yet, because it is not on the approved handgun list yet.
Move in with your girlfriend and then you can have what you want to include the P30 you were wanting!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thanks for the range report lionhart! I can't wait to pick up mine next week.

As far as the ware on top of the barrel. I have been applying a light coat of Weapon Shield CLP on my P30 since I picked it up. Almost 1000 rounds later and there is no sign of ware. The stuff is great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
+10 Weapon Shield! Only lube Im using now - hard chrome on the USP's works great with it. http://www.weaponshield.com/
While I'm sure their product is great, their product description reminded me of motor oil.
Advanced Boundary Film formation is achieved through a unique combination of long-chain halogenated hydrocarbons and other proprietary additives that are highly stable and non-corrosive to the equipment's metal parts
...sounds alot like a run-of-the-mill motor oil to me.

Makes me want to try out Mobil 1 full syn. Per volume, it's a helluva lot cheaper than than OTC gun oils and is made to work in high heat/carbon environments.

Anyone use a motor oil for their USP? Currently I use Hoppes, and while it works great I will run out sometime and I like options...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I use FP10, and a very small amount of Tetra on the safety mechanism, and on the rails slightly. Going to take it out again next week.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
...sounds alot like a run-of-the-mill motor oil to me...
1000+ rounds with no wear on a new P30 while using the product, doesnt sound like run of the mill to me. George is the one who developed FP-10 as their chief engineer, now he has left them and developed a better weapon system lubricant. George says the new FP-10 formula has been changed, and isnt as good as the one he originally developed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm just guessing here but I'm guessing that most of these are synthetic oil based on the oil developed by Al Amatuzio and sold for many years under the name Amsoil. Amsoil patent ran out severl years ago thus all the synthetic oils for cars that came out back then. The company is still around. They have had products for more than just cars over the years, including avation, marine, and non-vehicle including one I still use, called MP (metal protector) which is a light WD-40 style oil that stays put and works much better than WD-40.
http://www.amsoil.com/Index.aspx
I noticed one comment that one brand seemed to change the grain of one gun. This would make sense with oils based on Amatuzio's synthetic because the oil has a slight charge that enables it to penitrate and stay in the pores of iron and steel.
Great products (no I'm not a dealer and can't sell you any). Any way, I'm not sure but my guess it that this is the base oil for most of these products. It is definately the best there is for metal to metal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm just guessing here but I'm guessing that most of these are synthetic oil based on the oil developed by Al Amatuzio and sold for many years under the name Amsoil. Amsoil patent ran out severl years ago thus all the synthetic oils for cars that came out back then. The company is still around. They have had products for more than just cars over the years, including avation, marine, and non-vehicle including one I still use, called MP (metal protector) which is a light WD-40 style oil that stays put and works much better than WD-40.
http://www.amsoil.com/Index.aspx
I noticed one comment that one brand seemed to change the grain of one gun. This would make sense with oils based on Amatuzio's synthetic because the oil has a slight charge that enables it to penitrate and stay in the pores of iron and steel.
Great products (no I'm not a dealer and can't sell you any). Any way, I'm not sure but my guess it that this is the base oil for most of these products. It is definately the best there is for metal to metal.
1000+ rounds with no wear on a new P30 while using the product, doesnt sound like run of the mill to me. George is the one who developed FP-10 as their chief engineer, now he has left them and developed a better weapon system lubricant. George says the new FP-10 formula has been changed, and isnt as good as the one he originally developed.
I too have been using WeaponShield, and as a former FP-10 user, I felt that after reading about how FP-10 was now and what changes Mr. Fennell made that I would support the brand that I thought was the most up-to-date technology. I love the stuff (and the needle applicators are AWESOME!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I fell in love with Militec-1 when I was in Iraq... never had a jam with my M4 or M249 or M2 while running them dry after the initial oiling/firing...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
+1 for militec

a little goes a long way too. their grease is great and seems to stay where you put it. but I agree synthetic motor oil seems $ for $ the best buy for oil if you use lots of it. I prefer a light film of oil to wet like some guys practice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I typically spend that amount of time on a pistol, but I did not clean it prior to use, and only after shooting it for about a week. It still had the factory grease, and it was dirty. I'm fairly fanatical about cleaning, and do so after every outing, but I wanted this new gun to remain dirty for a little while, to see if it would cause any malfunction's. It did not. Also, I spent some extra time noticing all the details, etc. Really is a great gun. I will even say, my absolute favorite pistol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts