HKPRO Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
MAK90 was imported post-922(r), right?
It was right around that time, I believe after, but I'm not certain.

Yeah, and that's why I haven't modified my MAK-90. I think that's a pretty undisputed limit on it. The early SP89s seem to be in a gray area. And the problem with a gray area is that the only people you can ask is the ATF and that's back to "poking the bear". They get bugged so much about this kind of stuff that they usually just end up telling us we can't do something that they never cared about to begin with.
That doesn't surprise me. I suppose sometimes it's better not to ask. I figure if it has a stamp, it's GTG as long as you don't make it into an MG or something NFA it is not registered as.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
It was right around that time, I believe after, but I'm not certain.

That doesn't surprise me. I suppose sometimes it's better not to ask. I figure if it has a stamp, it's GTG as long as you don't make it into an MG or something NFA it is not registered as.
That's the common sense consensus. Also, there are theories about the foundation of the 922r limitations. Since they were really designed to stop the importation of new assault rifles into the country, with the limited registration (almost none really) we have in most states, the concept of voluntarily registering a preban weapon, and paying the government $200 for putting you on a list to boot, well that's just a win-win for the man.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Yes, but that's a nuance that applies nation wide. $6K SP89s are not. That's CA market driven.
Very true, but he's been doing a pretty good of hijacking the thread, up until now.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts