1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
611 Posts
That is weird..from the photo is looks like the cocking handle is on the right side and it ejects spent shells on the left side........opposite of how the HK works??????

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
They probably reversed the photo. I've seen this before and I don't know why people do it.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
looks like they flipped it to match the look of all the others.

aside from that - I want one!!

·
Registered
6,398 Posts

Why is it ugly? Is it the curved mag, the tri-rail forward grip, or what? It looks fine to me.

I want to know if it comes with a FA bolt assy. and if it will take an auto-sear. If so, I might opt to get this instead of a 53.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Why is it ugly? Is it the curved mag, the tri-rail forward grip, or what? It looks fine to me.

I want to know if it comes with a FA bolt assy. and if it will take an auto-sear. If so, I might opt to get this instead of a 53.

I agree - looks fine to me, just needs a wide fore arm and you are GTG :) I am excited about having a Group III rifle, wish it wasn't a clone, but hey....
everything will fit, furniture, claw mounts etc, and the recoil should be reasonable.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Just got off the phone with the PTR rifle sales guy. Just a few points:

1. The web master must have flipped the photo for page appearance.
2. Magazines will be proprietary, from PTR only (for now). No AK mag support.
3. Receiver and Bolt Carrier are both .308 parts so we're guessing a G3 FA bolt assy would work.
4. Might use G3 Bolt Head, as both are 7.62 mm.
5. Should take sear but they make no promises about that. He said that he sees no reason why it wouldn't take one as this thing is just a slightly re-designed PTR-91.
6. Expected release date around the end of March.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
This system being based on the .308 platform is a better idea than the last time a 7.62x39 HK clone was attempted. However, a proprietary mag is unfortunate.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
This system being based on the .308 platform is a better idea than the last time a 7.62x39 HK clone was attempted. However, a proprietary mag is unfortunate.

"Indeed"

·
Registered
732 Posts
It looks like it could be a lot of fun. I agree the magazine is not "right" for the rifle, but what the hey! I'll bet you can shoot it all day and have a whole lot of fun doing so.

I sort of wish they had started with a HK 33 dimensioned receiver and figured a way to use the 7.62x39 AR magazines. I guess their tooling allows them to make this one receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before someone (honest) makes an adaptor (ala Colt AR15 9mm) insertable adaptor to use AK mags - can't be that hard?

Also PTR if you are reading this, please make a lightweight barrelled version - I don't think 7.62x39 is an accuracy inclined caliber and therefore the extra weight is not needed here....

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Heck, I'd buy one if it were cheap enough. $1200 isn't cheap enough so I wonder what they will end up selling them for.

·
Registered
484 Posts
2 deal breakers for me-

1.) Proprietary mags

2.) No paddle mag release, the button is useless for me I cant reach it w/o changing my grip drastically

:26: I was really looking forward to this...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts