HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all the posts where members really sing the praises of the G3K. I bought a very nice HK 91 (IB) some times ago and enjoy it but honestly don't shoot it all that much. First 308 is costly and I don't reload but I've found myself grabbing my SCAR 17 far more than my G3. So I'm wondering if I ought to convert my 91? I don't think I want both a 91 and G3K - just don't shoot 308 enough. That said, seems like the G3K might be a bit more handy - perhaps a better F/A host (the 91 was a handful). If you could only choose one, which would you go with? Matt

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Do you still have your MR762? If so, I would use that as my "full length" 308, and convert the 91 to G3K.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
personally, I feel the G3K is the perfect general use .308 package as far as the roller lock guns go. so if it were me, I would have already converted her to a G3K format.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've been reading all the posts where members really sing the praises of the G3K. I bought a very nice HK 91 (IB) some times ago and enjoy it but honestly don't shoot it all that much. First 308 is costly and I don't reload but I've found myself grabbing my SCAR 17 far more than my G3. So I'm wondering if I ought to convert my 91? I don't think I want both a 91 and G3K - just don't shoot 308 enough. That said, seems like the G3K might be a bit more handy - perhaps a better F/A host (the 91 was a handful). If you could only choose one, which would you go with? Matt
I would not alter a real HK 91 in any way. Keep it all original. If you want a 'K' sized weapon, get a brand-x knock off and leave the real HK alone.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
this is pertinent to my interest. I've got a an excellent condition HK 91 that I often toy with the idea of going G3K with. My 91 is an excellent shooter and other than the degenerate need to f*&k with stuff, have no need to alter it in any way. Having said that I LOVE the aesthetics of a G3K and the thought of a slightly more compact HK 91 is intriguing. I have talked with Mike at TSC about simply chopping the HK 91's barrel to the end of the hand guard to avoid the exorbitantly long BATF wait to form 1 it. Seems like that might be a good way to slightly KURTZ my 91 without a lot of hassle. Just purchased a vented GREEN wide hand guard from HK parts and put it on tonight. Looks slightly more green in person but I love the way my German baby looks now. C749B05C-CAC3-4323-9B81-F6C3A412015F_zpszrk22wqv.JPG

I would not alter a real HK 91 in any way. Keep it all original. If you want a 'K' sized weapon, get a brand-x knock off and leave the real HK alone.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you could only choose one, which would you go with?
Thats kind of a tough question. A recent change in vocation has allowed me to purchase a couple of firearms on my need list. If I could go back in time I probably would have bought the SL-7, skipped the PTR91, and then bought the G3K clone. But as it is the PTR was such a sweet shooting rifle I decided against converting it to the K, or selling it for the same reason(plus I need a rifle for my Z51 NV, and I'm not sure I could use that on my K?).

I don't think I'd convert an Hk though, unless you're one of those who finds value in the perceived authenticity of an all German conversion, I'd take MG34's advice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great to responses guys- sounds like the jury is out. I honestly don't like hacking up pristine HK hosts but I also shoot what I own or sell them and the 91 isn't getting taken out that often which I don't like. MgG34, I've been pretty much in your court till now and may still be - just some amazing reviews from HK experts on the G3K.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
OP, why would you think a smaller, lighter rifle would be more controllable under FA .308 fire?

While I am far from a fanboi, I too see the wisdom in keeping the 91 stock. Sell it and you will have money left over after picking up a PTR pistol to SBR.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Did you ever do anything to tame the 91? Standard upgrades are the 21 rubber buttpad (probably the best upgrade), an improved buffer and a quality muzzle break. Going to a G3K will help tame it even more but you might consider those upgrades first because you can always swap them over to the new platform if you decide to go that way.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
G3K is handy for sure. My biggest problem is I'm noise sensitive and the G3K is loud, considerably louder to my ears than the standard length. The thing reminds me of the Desert Eagle 50AE, which I will no longer shoot.

Aside from that I'd never alter a factory HK rifle in such a permanent fashion. Enjoy your SCAR, sell off the 91.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great to responses guys- sounds like the jury is out. I honestly don't like hacking up pristine HK hosts but I also shoot what I own or sell them and the 91 isn't getting taken out that often which I don't like. MgG34, I've been pretty much in your court till now and may still be - just some amazing reviews from HK experts on the G3K.
Yea, everybody's an expert. All I can say is that stuff that is in factory original condition is much more desirable and will bring a higher price when you decide to sell or trade it. Maybe you're too young to remember, but back in the day the hot lick from the experts was to add fender flares and six tail lights to '63-'67 Corvettes. How much did that cost the owner in the long run? Not only did he pay to add this crap and then pay again to remove it. Plus, he took a ~5% hit when he sold the car. But then again, I'm no expert and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I agree with some of the post here. I would leave the 91 original. I have a 91 and am currently putting the parts together to build a G3K clone. I am using a RCM barrel and a PTR receiver. Cant wait to send it off to get finished. I do think the G3K will get shot more. Either way both are great rifles.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys - tribe has spoken. As an aside, I have done some of the upgrades to improve F/A fire - enhanced buffer, clubfoot stock. I didn't put a brake only because I find them obnoxious for other shooters at my primary range (indoor). It's all good - I'll just hang on to it for awhile and start saving up for some fender flairs for my vette ;-). Maybe I'll find a shooter with a K that I can try.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My G3K is much easier to shoot in FA than my 91. It's also a lot lighter and easier to maneuver. if you don't plan to sell your 91, and don't love it as is, make it into whatever you want.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This is a pretty old thread, but I can't see why people think it's bad to alter an HK91. They aren't that collectable and are common and still easy to find under $2,000 30 years after importation stopped. Don't cut down a NIB gun but if you have a used HK91 trust me you will much prefer a G3K as a shooter,.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts