HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
hkparts.net or scorpian arms has all the 7 922 parts you,ll need. hammer,trigger,sear,cocking handle Makes 4. Then you can either go with a U.S. flash hider,furniture,alluminium trigger box or a us navy lower. I like to use as many U.S. trigger parts with the us cocking handle and mix up the last 3 according to if you want german furniture or not.There are plenty of U.S. made barrels now from RCM also. Just stay away from the U.S. bolt parts,they just are not the same quality or hardness as the European Hk contract bolt parts are. Just my exp. Also,1 U.S. made mag counts as 3 parts,but U.S. mags seem to have feeding issues also. good luck with it,I,m sure others will be here to boohoo me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had a picatinny rail welded on the receiver would that count as a 922r part. And are the US made retractable stocks any good.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
What are the cheapest 922r parts to get for a g3/91 build
Three parts for $20. Now you said cheap not good.... =)

If I had a picatinny rail welded on the receiver would that count as a 922r part.
There is open debate on how much 'work' has to be done to a foreign part to reclassify it as US made. IMO I would not chance it.

There is a 99% chance your are working up from a PTR receiver, that's 1 part.
Get a PTR made trigger group, that gives you 4 parts.
Get a PTR made cocking handle that is 1 more
That is a quick and east 6.

Put a nice aluminum forgrip and some picatinny rails for all your accessories, and that's #7.

I REALLY like the PWS muzzle brake, but its a bit spendy JUST as a compliance part, but it does reduce recoil nicely.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm new to the HK rifles and all, but why not form 1 the rifle and forget about the parts count? How much additional $'s does it cost to be 922r compliant?

It's $200 and a wait, but you can make it a K, or not. Just because it's registered as an SBR doesn't mean it has to be one. And all of the parts would be OEM including the mags.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The general consensus here, and we have some members who are well connected with ATF, is that SBRs still need to be compliant with 922. So doing a form 1 isn't going to help anything.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
SBRs still need to be 922r compliant
Correct... short barreled or not. A rifle is a rifle and must be 922r compliant. The SBR stamp doesn't absolve you of the 922r regs. I haven't heard of anyone getting busted just for 922r, but do you want to take the chance of being the first?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Looks like will need to put together a spread sheet with prices for this one ;-)

- For sear hosts (when the sear is not installed) looks like could do a US trigger housing, trigger box, hammer, trigger, and sear for five (5) US parts.
- For rifles built with US receivers and barrels one is all set to go. Wonder if I need a separate semi US trigger pack for each rifle if stored stripped (they are sear hosts ;-).
- For imported rifles (SAR8, HK911) could ad US flash hider/brake and charging lever ... or just always us the X91 drum ;-).
* For imported rifles (SAR8, HK911) could pin on a US muzzle brake and always keep the but hole stocks on when the sear is not installed.

For the G3K built on a clone receiver one starts at four, PTR receiver, RCM barrel, US extended pinned on flash hider (to get it home) and US charging handle tube (maybe not ;-), one could then make it five with a US charging handle.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
For the G3K built on a clone receiver one starts at four, PTR receiver, RCM barrel, US extended pinned on flash hider (to get it home) and US charging handle tube, one could then make it five with a US charging handle.
pinned on flash hider is non-removable, so its not a muzzle attachment, it is part of the barrel, and therefore can not be counted as separate US part.

I don't believe the "charging handle tube" is a countable part, just the handle itself.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Correct... short barreled or not. A rifle is a rifle and must be 922r compliant. The SBR stamp doesn't absolve you of the 922r regs. I haven't heard of anyone getting busted just for 922r, but do you want to take the chance of being the first?
I'd really like to know where this info is coming from.
ATF letters?
Legal opinion letters, or something along those lines?

Here is the law:

A short barreled rifle falls under the definition of "firearm" under 5845(a) of the tax code.

(a) Firearm
The term ''firearm'' means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or
barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a
shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less
than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in
length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16
inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as
modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel
or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon,
as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun;

Here is 18 USC 922(r):
(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.
Here is 925 (d)(3):
(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or
Note that an SBR DOES fall within the definition of a firearm, and is therefore NOT covered under 925(d)(3).
The rest of any applicability of the sporting bit of 925(d)(3) doesn't matter because it says "AND."
By a strict reading of the law, SBR's are not subject to 922(r).

For like the 10th time this week, I am not a lawyer, but I'm reading the law for myself and that is what I'm coming up with. If my logic is wrong, please correct me. I'd defer to a lawyer, or an ATF ruling, or something along those lines, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
pinned on flash hider is non-removable, so its not a muzzle attachment, it is part of the barrel, and therefore can not be counted as separate US part.

I don't believe the "charging handle tube" is a countable part, just the handle itself.
Live and learn on the charging handle tube, was an interesting option when I found it on Adam's US parts page. In the case of the HK911, if it has a pinned on fake barrel extension and thumb hole stock, it is in the "non AW condition", one might think that having a pinned on muzzle brake was similar. In this case for a sear host, the muzzle brake is preferred over the flash hider.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
In the case of the HK911, if it has a pinned on fake barrel extension and thumb hole stock, it is in the "non AW condition", one might think that having a pinned on muzzle brake was similar. In this case for a sear host, the muzzle brake is preferred over the flash hider.
the HK911 needed to have some of it's 'evil features' removed so it was importable. hence the non-pistol grip and non-threaded muzzle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts