HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do any of the clone manufacturers id (engrave/stamp) their US-made components besides PTR?

The Vector HK-clone stuff has a list on the back of the manual but I wonder how accurate it is, especially if the gun is used. :confused:

Some items are obvious (i.e. US flash supressor), but absent an itemized invoice for the qualifying parts, it looks like it would be virtually impossible to tell what's in the gun if the components aren't marked.

Searches, both here and on Google, so far haven't produced a satisfactory answer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
CAI stamps a C, SW is marked SW. Alot of parts are not marked, especially 1990's, early 2000 era trigger parts. You can tell most of the time by the casting parting line on some of them.

Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAI stamps a C, SW is marked SW. A lot of parts are not marked, especially 1990's, early 2000 era trigger parts. You can tell most of the time by the casting parting line on some of them. Bill
Thanks! I'm just trying to avoid the "land of striped sunshine". :eek:

I guess that if a doubt exists as to a particular part's origin, the best avenue is to replace the part with one that has a good 922r pedigree and is marked as such.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Thanks! I'm just trying to avoid the "land of striped sunshine". :eek:

I guess that if a doubt exists as to a particular part's origin, the best avenue is to replace the part with one that has a good 922r pedigree and is marked as such.
Better to avoid trouble by playing with fire. The PTR fire control parts are clearly marked.

Also the receiver is obvious, but most barrels are US made on the Vector rifles. on the 33/93 guns if they have a removeable flash hider it will be a 16.1" barrel. Since the german/contracts are 15.65 they have a pinned or welded flash hider. In that case it takes 1 part away from 922r since the flash hider is part of the barrel permantley

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The Vector HK-clone stuff has a list on the back of the manual but I wonder how accurate it is, especially if the gun is used. :confused:

Some items are obvious (i.e. US flash supressor), but absent an itemized invoice for the qualifying parts, it looks like it would be virtually impossible to tell what's in the gun if the components aren't marked.
There is neither a standard or a requirement for marking US made parts. There is no way on a used gun to know what is what, unless you are VERY knowledgeable on the parts and the various makers who might have made a part.

There is no known case where 922 was a primary charge against an individual.

You've got two choices, assume the gun was in the right configuration when you bought it.
Or source, mark, and install the required parts so you can sleep better at night.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Remember that 922r is manufacturing offense first off. If you buy it direct from vector or a vendor and you don't modify it, then it comes back on Vector if there is a 922r offense. If you change parts up then it might be on you.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Since the german/contracts are 15.65 they have a pinned or welded flash hider. In that case it takes 1 part away from 922r since the flash hider is part of the barrel permantley
This is slightly confusing so can you please clarify? If I have my US-made flash hider pinned and welded onto the barrel, does that mean I only need 6 parts and not 7 or does it mean that the FH doesn't count towards the overall parts count and therefore now I need to find another US part to comply? Now, to make it a bit more interesting, my FH is a PTR-91 FH that doesn't have the slots in the side of the FH...so technically it's not a FH and simply an extension of the barrel. I ask because I thought I was in compliance with the following US parts:

Receiver
Cocking Handle
Trigger Box
Trigger
Sear
Hammer

The FH being that it's completely closed I figured would allow me to reduce my overall parts count by 1 from 7 to 6. Am I understanding you correctly?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Any muzzle device is a countable part. The PTR's without a threaded barrel would reduce needed parts by one as there would be no muzzle device possible.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This is slightly confusing so can you please clarify? If I have my US-made flash hider pinned and welded onto the barrel, does that mean I only need 6 parts and not 7 or does it mean that the FH doesn't count towards the overall parts count and therefore now I need to find another US part to comply? Now, to make it a bit more interesting, my FH is a PTR-91 FH that doesn't have the slots in the side of the FH...so technically it's not a FH and simply an extension of the barrel. I ask because I thought I was in compliance with the following US parts:

Receiver
Cocking Handle
Trigger Box
Trigger
Sear
Hammer

The FH being that it's completely closed I figured would allow me to reduce my overall parts count by 1 from 7 to 6. Am I understanding you correctly?
If the flash hider is part of the barrel it's not counted. So you would only need 6 parts

·
Registered
199 Posts
For some reason, I thought that the PTR weapons also had US-made barrels. Is that not so?
Yes, that is correct. As I understand it, the receiver, trunnion, and barrel assembly are all U.S. made on all "A" prefix and "AW" prefix serial numbered rifles. When JDL Enterprises became PTR, Inc. they changed vendors for the barrels, but again all these vendors were U.S. manufacturers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts