HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever run a 93 w/ buffered carrier using the folding stock (Choate or Ace) with that rubber buffer/bumper? How does the carrier buffer react to the rubber part if used? The pic is the buffer in the folder.
Thanks for any input

Attachments

·
2,832 Posts
pretty sure you are going to want to take the buffer out of the carrier to use that stock, compare where the carrier buffer hits the buffer in the stock

the Choate stocks uses a different type of buffer yet

·
Registered
104 Posts
For a 33/93, you have to have a spring loaded buffer in either the stock or the carrier. The plastic type buffer is not enough. Without a spring loaded buffer in either the stock or the carrier, you will end up with "roller marks" in the trough that runs horizontally down each side of the reciever.

I ended up learning this the hard way from the HK repair department after I sent in a 93 for repair.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes. Similarly I just received a HK 33 stock from Adam Weber which has what appears to be a standard G3 buffer in it. The carrier also has a buffer in it. Where the carrier buffer strikes is on the edge of the stock buffer, quite solidly on the steel flange part of the stock buffer.

I don't see where this should cause any issues, but does it?

Thanks.

·
2,832 Posts
HK sells the Choate(marked HK) for the 93/33 and it uses a plastic/poly type buffer, I use one on my 93 with a non buffered carrier.

you have to have a buffer of some sort, somewhere

stubbicatt, IMOP your OK with both buffers, if I remember right, the carrier buffer hits before the A3 stock buffer(its not the same as the G3) does. But you can take the one out of the carrier if you want

For a 33/93, you have to have a spring loaded buffer in either the stock or the carrier. The plastic type buffer is not enough. Without a spring loaded buffer in either the stock or the carrier, you will end up with "roller marks" in the trough that runs horizontally down each side of the reciever.

I ended up learning this the hard way from the HK repair department after I sent in a 93 for repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what about shortening the rubber buffer, already in the stock, so that it allows the buffer on the carrier to function? If I just remove the rubber part the carrier buffer will hit the hole and won't have a flat surface to react on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"HK sells the Choate(marked HK) for the 93/33 and it uses a plastic/poly type buffer, I use one on my 93 with a non buffered carrier."

I reccomend that you not do this. If you shoot the gun much, you will greatly increase the chance of getting roller marks. They are about the worst type of repair to try to get done. You may avoid it for a while, but eventually they are very likely occur.

"you have to have a buffer of some sort, somewhere"

Not a buffer of some sort somewhere - a spring loaded buffer in either the stock or the carrier. I have owned 12 93's and have shot many thousands of rounds through them. Twice, I have incurred damage from roller marks. Both times I was using an unbuffered carrier and a stock with the poly buffer. After many conversations with several of the top smiths, I sent the one with the worst damage back to HK - the suggestion I posted is the one that they gave me. Like you, I would like to use a stock and carrier combination that might not always include a spring loaded buffer. However, it is just not a good combination for that series of gun. My intent is not to step on any toes - I am trying to save other members from sharing my frustrating experience.

"stubbicatt, IMOP your OK with both buffers, if I remember right, the carrier buffer hits before the A3 stock buffer(its not the same as the G3) does. But you can take the one out of the carrier if you want"

I dont have alot of experience with using two spring buffers. However, taking the one out of the carrier, seems like a good idea. I know that you can underbuffer the 93 series. It also seems plausable that you could overbuffer them.

·
2,832 Posts
CThurman, no toes steped on :)

if I ever have an issue because of the folder on the 93.....will just have to remind HK that they sell it for the 93 ;) (think I have close to 1K thru it with that stock on it)

the buffer pictured looks kinda long to me, is it maybe for a 91?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would think the rubber buffer would work better than the metal to metal HK buffer as far as roller marks go but maybe not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I didn't like the sliding stock so like a dummy I sold it and replaced it with a early 1960's German wood stock in a HK 91 socket .

I would like to see a picture of these roller marks???

Cheers
MJ

·
2,832 Posts
when I was takin my SL6(223) apart this weekend, the buffer is plastic/poly and looks like the same material used the the HK folders. Now the SL6 is no a stamped gun like the 93 so that may be why is does not use a spring type buffer

·
Banned
384 Posts
if I ever have an issue because of the folder on the 93.....will just have to remind HK that they sell it for the 93 ;)
LP, in my opinion, I dont think HK gives half a da mn about what you do with these stocks, or the guns you put them on.

I would err on the side of caution. Its not like these old guns are under warranty?

Right or wrong?

·
2,832 Posts
I was just kiddin :)

LP, in my opinion, I dont think HK gives half a da mn about what you do with these stocks, or the guns you put them on.

I would err on the side of caution. Its not like these old guns are under warranty?

Right or wrong?

·
Registered
190 Posts
hi, wanted to chime in and mention that on my V-93 ( with buffered carrier), i'm using a cut/modded hk-91 buffered stock ( a take-off from my PTR-91, with HK mechanical buffer, not comfort-zone rubber disc)... and it seems to be running fantastically fine , if anyone was interested. :)

the stock buffer doesnt even seem to come into play, as the carrier buffer is longer...and it's striking on the steel surface of the buffer retainer plate, so no ill contact of any kind, or malfunctions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What about the HK collapsable stocks? Do they have a buffer otr do you need to run the carrier buffer? FWIW, on my V93, I split the stock due to impacts from the carrier buffer, replaced it with a metal capped/buffered HK93 stock, took out the carrier buffer and it runs smoother now. The 53 Has a MP5 type stock, and sometimes a Collapsable HK one. The MP5 type has a metal plate in the end. I have only run about 100 rds through this thing so far so no idea on longevety.. When I bought it before I cut it down, it had roller marks on it. I will take pics tommorow if noone finds any before then. Still runs fine with the marks as they are light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts