HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
If anyone has a chance at being able to do it it would be Bruce Gray at Grayguns Inc. He is an awesome gunsmith and a super cool guy to boot.

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
The proper way to do this is to buy a .40 and get a conversion barrel, or buy a firearm already chambered in .357 sig.

I would never shoot a barrel that's been "machined" to fit a larger caliber.

Just my opinion

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The proper way to do this is to buy a .40 and get a conversion barrel, or buy a firearm already chambered in .357 sig.

Typoed on my iPhone.
This is definitely correct. That's exactly what I did with my P2000.

My initial answer was only in reference to if the machining to the barrel was possible.

Thanks for the "complete" answer Sean. I was assuming certain knowledge of the OP when I should have given the complete answer like you did.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,536 Posts
Seriously, you would likely spend as much to rework the barrel bore and ream the chamber to the new specs as you would to just buy a new barrel. And I would be a little leery of doing the swap on a 9mm. Stick with the 40 platform...

·
Registered
854 Posts
OP...there are far more efficient ways of destroying a gun...

This isn't viable for starters because--> 1) the chamber and breech of a 9mm aren't thick enough to be machined to accept the .357 sig and still retain enough structural rigidity to remain safe...2) the chamber isn't 'long' enough to accept the 357SIG; the case is taller than a 9mm and the 'neck' is the real problem since the breech on a 357sig barrel is 'staged' to seat the neck area...3) the pressures in the 357sig round are closer to .40s&w than 9mm...meaning springs and internals will take a substantial beating...4) the 357sig round is the same diameter as a 10mm/.40cal--9mm brass physically fits inside of these, so I think fitting the cases into the slide/ extractor is another issue...

I think its pretty apperant that it makes more sense to procure a .40 and buy a conversion barrel or buy a .357SIG platform...its also safer and cheaper in the long run...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I keep seeing threads on many sites where people want to turn their 40 into a 9 and now a 9 into a 357. When will people learn that if you want a different caliber gun, the only way to do that is to buy a new one!! The ONLY way to convert any gun is in 40 to 357 Sig ONLY. The breach faces are a different size in many guns as are the muzzle holes in the slides.
And, some manufactures WILL NOT build a 357 Sig on their frames because of the operating pressures (40,000 CUP) of the Sig. Their frames may only be rated for +P rounds only MAX. Even most +P+ doesn't hit that pressure. I think proof 9mm is 45K CUP or around there. Not much of a safety margin.

I think someone needs to make a sticky about why you do not want to change the caliber of your handgun except the 40 / 357 conversion.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I keep seeing threads on many sites where people want to turn their 40 into a 9 and now a 9 into a 357. When will people learn that if you want a different caliber gun, the only way to do that is to buy a new one!! The ONLY way to convert any gun is in 40 to 357 Sig ONLY. The breach faces are a different size in many guns as are the muzzle holes in the slides.
And, some manufactures WILL NOT build a 357 Sig on their frames because of the operating pressures (40,000 CUP) of the Sig. Their frames may only be rated for +P rounds only MAX. Even most +P+ doesn't hit that pressure. I think proof 9mm is 45K CUP or around there. Not much of a safety margin.

I think someone needs to make a sticky about why you do not want to change the caliber of your handgun except the 40 / 357 conversion.
You are mistaken about the frame in HKs case...the (9mm/.40sw/357sig) USPc share IDENTICAL frames....the .45 is the only one that's sized larger....the only reason HK didn't make a USPf in .357sig was issues with the feedramp angles causing misfeeds in the obscurely shaped cartridge...it had nothing to do with pressures, since HK overengineers everything to bomb-proof....

Other manufacturers you are likely correct, but we are talking about HK....completely agree that conversion barrels (with exception to .40/357sig) is a half-assed measure that will ALWAYS yield half-assed results, or worse...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Apparently I should have been a little clearer. I've already got a 40s&w and would like a 357sig barrel as well. Being that they're in high demand and fairly expensive I thought it might be possible to chamber a NEW 9mm barrel, just the barrel. No need to go on about ruining guns blah blah, but thanks for the input.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That makes even LESS sense...*shaking head*...you obviously have NO idea how expensive that type of machining is...not to mention that a 9mm barrel is too small to fit a .40 slide properly...and keeep in mind that this thread is on a public forum, so our 'blah blah' about ruining guns is absolutely relevant in case another, less experienced member uses it for references for a 9mm platform (which your original post suggests)

Watch the Classified Section, 357sig barrels pop up occasionally for reasonable rates/trades

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes even LESS sense...*shaking head*...you obviously have NO idea how expensive that type of machining is...
YOu're right I don't have a clue how expensive it would be or if it's even possible. I'm not a gunsmith nor a machinist that's why I asked if it was possible. As an FYI I found a thread in this very forum where someone has done exactly what I suggested. Thanks for all of your help. Maybe I'm should shake my head now too.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I can search on any forum ( Glock, Sig, Hi-Point?) And find somebody/ anybody who did a halfassed barrel conversion--Google 'Glock and Lone Wofl'--it still doesn't make it cost effective, safe, or smart...why you seem fascinated with taking the overcomplicated and expensive route it beyond me...but its your money and your gun-the point being made here *repeatedly* is its NOT advocated by EXPERIENCED members...you asked for input, you got it....

Mods this one has gone far enough--CLOSE PLEASE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can search on any forum ( Glock, Sig, Hi-Point?) And find somebody/ anybody who did a halfassed barrel conversion--Google 'Glock and Lone Wofl'--it still doesn't make it cost effective, safe, or smart...why you seem fascinated with taking the overcomplicated and expensive route it beyond me...but its your money and your gun-the point being made here *repeatedly* is its NOT advocated by EXPERIENCED members...you asked for input, you got it....

Mods this one has gone far enough--CLOSE PLEASE
Dude I'm not fascinated with anything, just asking a simple question.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
People definitely need to chill with their word choice a bit. That being said--as a mechanical engineer--i would never advice machining down any gun barrel. Ever. Just spend the money and buy the desired caliber gun. If you were talking about plumbing or something else not life-threatening, then it wouldn't be a big deal. But doing this would most likely result in the gun blowing up in your hand.

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
But doing this would most likely result in the gun blowing up in your hand.
This is my concern as well. As stated above the .357sig is capable of much higher pressures than a 9mm, milling on the barrel would make it even less capable of containing the pressure causing a very unsafe situation for the shooter.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
854 Posts
People definitely need to chill with their word choice a bit. That being said--as a mechanical engineer--i would never advice machining down any gun barrel. Ever. Just spend the money and buy the desired caliber gun. If you were talking about plumbing or something else not life-threatening, then it wouldn't be a big deal. But doing this would most likely result in the gun blowing up in your hand.
THIS is why I am requesting this thread be squashed...(Thanks for the professional advice!)...because what is being suggested is dangerous and stupid...and the potential for somebody to skim the thread and perpetuate misinformation is astronomical...its a BAD IDEA--period

I am in no way insinuating that the OP hasn't gotten the point--his grammar and spelling show he's educated!--however I am trying to relay the fact that A) newbies read backlog threads and use SEARCH to mine for information; typically NOT reading the entire thread... B) when a thread is posted asking for advice that a SEARCH has been completed to ensure the particular issue hasn't been discussed (or beaten to death in certain cases)...C) that when the thread has run its course, information has been overwhelmingly lopsided on one particular course of action (as in here) that its time to alter the original question (for more info or details etc...) or close the topic

You WILL get blunt, straightforward, no-nonsense answers on this forum...sometimes comedic...if that offends your sensitivity, move along...

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
There are a few problems with this idea, while getting a .357 SIG is great:
1. A barrel marked "9mm" becoming a different caliber would be a total no no.
The next guy who picks up this gun and fires a 9mm in there has a good change to loose some finger or ....
And trust me, it will fire!
2. Technically I guess you could do it, I have my reservations how safe this would be.
But let say you test fire it and it comes out fine. Down the road I would always be thinking about this not holding up!
3. This work would cost you more then a new barrel.

Just give me a call and I will set you up with a IGB barrel!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are a few problems with this idea, while getting a .357 SIG is great:
1. A barrel marked "9mm" becoming a different caliber would be a total no no.
The next guy who picks up this gun and fires a 9mm in there has a good change to loose some finger or ....
And trust me, it will fire!
2. Technically I guess you could do it, I have my reservations how safe this would be.
But let say you test fire it and it comes out fine. Down the road I would always be thinking about this not holding up!
3. This work would cost you more then a new barrel.

Just give me a call and I will set you up with a IGB barrel!
I hadn't thought about the markings. Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. Check your private messages.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.