HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just thinking about this. Over the last year or two, since I got my CCW permit... I experimented with a lot of calibers and guns. I started with a G19 as a lot of people do. I then started the "my d#[email protected] is bigger than yours" caliber quest. I went through all of them... 9, 40, 45, .357 mag, 44 mag, and even a 454 alaskan that was NO fun to even shoot. After shooting crappy groups with larger calibers... focusing on the bang rather than the bulls, I came to the conclusion lately that we're shooting handguns. Its all shot placement and practicality. Its way cheaper to shoot nine, and lets you focus on the fundamentals. So I'm not sure why I'm really even posting this, and its not to start any kind of caliber debate. Maybe I want the newer shooters to know that bigger is not better and its most important to focus on the fundamentals and GET GOOD. I came to this epiphany when I saw some UFC guys shooting 44 mags and desert eagles... and they didn't even hit the target. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Pick one, train with it, and carry the damn thing. But I think we think alike. I say you carry a gun chambered in the smallest caliber you feel can do the job, but that's just MHO.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I only carry a .40 right now because that is the round my agency uses so I get free brass. I really perfer 9mm in a carry gun since I can shoot faster and I think shot placement and good ammo is more important than anything else. When I can get a P30S in 9mm to go with my .40 I'll probably carry the 9mm and keep the .40 for training.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I feel like this thread is going to get locked so I'll say this. 9mm is a fantastic caliber and it's my favorite because it's wallet friendly and 9mm's are usually higher capacity guns... BUT there is no arguing that 9mm is very load dependent. Now, I'm not saying that the 9mm is less effective than the .40 or .45 but it seems to be that more 9mm hollow points fail to expand or their penetration characteristics are undesirable. I only trust Corbon DPX or Speer 124 grain in my 9mm, seems to be that the .45 because of it's makeup expands more reliably with more consistent penetration characteristics.

AGAIN I SAY I LOVE THE 9MM AND I DON'T THINK IT'S LESS EFFECTIVE THAN THE .40 OR .45... but after all the research this is just what I've seen. I'll always own a 9mm. G26, P2Ksk, Kel Tecs, Ruger LC9... all these guns offer top notch quality self defense in a very small package and that does come in handy but if I can still physically shoot and conceal a .45 I'd rather take that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had one well placed shot, I'd rather it be a .45. However, I think the most practical and well rounded handgun one can have is a 9mm. It is load dependent, no doubt. However the differences between a 9 +P+ and a good .40 load is miniscule. Then we have .45... which I like to throw down from my 45c. But at the end of the day, if I could only have one, well rounded handgun... it would be a 9mm. The point of my thread was that after shooting all calibers and owning them all... I find myself still attracted to the 9. I think maybe some noob's might take something out of that...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
If I had one well placed shot, I'd rather it be a .45. However, I think the most practical and well rounded handgun one can have is a 9mm. It is load dependent, no doubt. However the differences between a 9 +P+ and a good .40 load is miniscule. Then we have .45... which I like to throw down from my 45c. But at the end of the day, if I could only have one, well rounded handgun... it would be a 9mm. The point of my thread was that after shooting all calibers and owning them all... I find myself still attracted to the 9. I think maybe some noob's might take something out of that...
What's the advantage, other than capacity, of choosing a 9mm over a .40 if you are going to fire +P+ 9mm rounds?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
O I agree, as contradictory as it sounds my favorite round is still the 9mm. But pressuring it up +p+ while it does pack more of a punch without a doubt I have read and seen enough "unofficial" testing of +p+ rounds that either over penetrated of didn't expand reliably, with the exception of DPX and Speer Gold Dots. If I had to carry a 9mm I wouldn't sweat one bead but my SHTF stockpile wouldn't be a whole bunch of .45 right now. It would be a crapload of Speer Gold dots and Corbon DPX. As a matter of fact if I didn't have such a stockpile of .45 ammo I probably would have opted for the P30 (and got a threaded barrel from HKparts.net) instead of the HK45c... reason being. I carry my G26 more than my HK45c anyway.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I like .45 acp. I like the fact that if chips were down, and I had only FMJ .45 ammo left, I would still be confident in the round.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What's the advantage, other than capacity, of choosing a 9mm over a .40 if you are going to fire +P+ 9mm rounds?
There really is none. Too me the caliber war doesn't exist between the big 3 anymore. But I think we should all listen to the pros when they stress that the 9mm is load dependent when it comes to self defense. Other than the actual size the Corbon DPX 115 grain and 185 grain +P is really all that different, I think they even are close in the muzzle energy numbers. Same for the Speer Gold dot 9mm and .45 numbers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The advantage is flexibility. You CAN carry a very hot round if you want to. Thats all I meant by saying that. I too would carry a 9, if and when I do carry... with modern HP ammo.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I like .45 acp. I like the fact that if chips were down, and I had only FMJ .45 ammo left, I would still be confident in the round.
+1 +1 +1 and PLUS 1. This is why I have a stockpile of .45 ammo and it's two boxes of the 250 round packages from Walmart. BUT 9mm ball round, "while not as effective as .45 ball" (Larry Vickers said this) will still fair well in a SHTF situation. Nobody wants to get shot with anything. Lol and that's the truth ruth.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The advantage is flexibility. You CAN carry a very hot round if you want to. Thats all I meant by saying that. I too would carry a 9, if and when I do carry... with modern HP ammo.
Understood. I carry a .380 at times, so I am not a caliber snob. A case can be made for them all.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Haha. I think I've seen Costa running 9mm in those videos?
Hell yea they do. Watch the ending features of the Art of the Dynamic Handgun. They even mention the .45 as being the big boy caliber kind of ensuing that it's not any better than the 9mm or .40. They ran M&P 9mm's that whole DVD(s). Larry Vickers says he tries to stick with what most people shoot in his class which is a Glock 19 and sometimes will even bring his P30 to the range. Bottom line I agreee with the OP, just wanted to add that the 9mm is load dependent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I might also add that I'd rather be able to actually shoot than wield a big bore around and not shoot it effectively. That was the motivation to right this post. Its these macho, UFC-wanna-be dudes at the range, laughing at your 9mm, but then shooting their 44 mags and not hitting the target or having horrible groups. I fell into that category, but got all over it when I realized I need to get back to fundamentals and become very proficient with a 9 before anything else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hear ya bud. 9mm and 45 seems to be the only calibers I enjoy shooting and able to do so accurately. Concealing is easy with the 9mm so I definitely find it effective.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I might also add that I'd rather be able to actually shoot than wield a big bore around and not shoot it effectively. That was the motivation to right this post. Its these macho, UFC-wanna-be dudes at the range, laughing at your 9mm, but then shooting their 44 mags and not hitting the target or having horrible groups. I fell into that category, but got all over it when I realized I need to get back to fundamentals and become very proficient with a 9 before anything else.
Sounds like that range trip left quite an impression on you. It also sounds like those UFC guys might not have been taking the trip as seriously as you were. Did they really laugh at your 9mm?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts