HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that USP Tactical 9mm barrels do not have the cut-out on the barrel to utilize Hk's barrel O-ring like the .45 Auto USP's, Hk 45's, and Mark 23's do.

Anyone know the reason for this?

I'd like to have a P30 and get an L barrel threaded for it...but don't know if it would cause any issues by not having the o-ring. Didn't know if there was a reason why the 9mm's didn't need the O-ring...but the .45's do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The HK P30 factory threaded barrel doesn't have an O-ring cutout either so I can't imagine it causing a problem. I think the factory threaded barrel actually starts out as a P30L barrel as well. But why not just buy the factory threaded barrel?

I may be wrong but I thought the O-rings were just for tighter slide and barrel lockup to improve accuracy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Paul, to my knowledge there are no factory threaded barrels for the P30...yet.

Adam at hkparts.net used factory P30L barrels and had them threaded...which is what I'd probably end up using...but it's not a factory job.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hey Paul, to my knowledge there are no factory threaded barrels for the P30...yet.
Correct. And it's just my opinion but I would worry about cutting the barrel for an o-ring.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No P30's have barrel o-rings, but neither do any other non-threaded barreled Hk's for that matter.

Hk has said that they hope to have factory threaded P30 barrels available in the future...and I'm curious if they will use an o-ring with these, or if like the USP Tactical 9mm's, they will be sans o-ring.

Just didn't know if there was any reason why they haven't used 0-rings on the USP tactical 9mm's, but they do on the .45's.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
The HK P30 factory threaded barrel doesn't have an O-ring cutout either so I can't imagine it causing a problem. I think the factory threaded barrel actually starts out as a P30L barrel as well. But why not just buy the factory threaded barrel?

I may be wrong but I thought the O-rings were just for tighter slide and barrel lockup to improve accuracy.
I would love for you to show me an HK factory P30 threaded barrel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would love for you to show me an HK factory P30 threaded barrel.
My mistake. I thought the barrel sold through HKParts was a factory threaded barrel. Didn't know that the threading was done by someone other than HK.

·
Registered
818 Posts
They don't make condom rings that small?

·
Registered
589 Posts
"No P30's have barrel o-rings, but neither do any other non-threaded barreled Hk's for that matter."

What about the USP .45 Expert?

The O-ring's contribution to "accuracy" is probably of so small a measure as to be discernible under only the most tightly controlled conditions. Any handholding will swamp anything an O-ring does to a bullet's trajectory. Notably, Vickers and Hackathorn deliberately did not recommend an O-ring in the design for the HK45.

Don't get hepped up over an O-ring, or not. The number of shooters capable of noting a difference in their results because of an O-ring may be countable on one or a very few hands.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Correction to an my earlier post regarding O-rings on the HK45 and HK45c, taken from the Vickers/Hackathorn interview re designing the HK45 and HK45c:

We took the USP45 barrel which they’ve already got in production and just added the o- ring because we know that enhances accuracy. So we kind of spec’d those things out. Of course as time went by, what everybody discovered is if you take the o-ring out the difference in accuracy is going to be minor.

But the bottom line is we said let’s take the best features of some of the guns they’ve already designed and make it into a more ergonomic package.

Larry: Obviously, slim frame… we wanted to retain the slimmer frame from the USP compact. We wanted to retain the ability to use the different modular trigger systems. We wanted to take the slide from the P2000 or USP Elite. Better sights. The o-ring; why not, there is no downside to the o-ring.

Ken: Because if the o-ring came off, the gun still shot great and was still accurate and reliable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts