HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first before anyone tells me how much a piece of junk it is, know this it is not. I have had it for 8 years and it shoots and functions better than the m16 I carried for 8 years. There is actually very few flaws in the construction of the weapon. Ok I don't know all the high speed low drag stuff you calls talk about half the time so treat me like a newbie.
Did Hess build on cetme rather than hk because my import mark on the barrel is cetme? My seclector has is in this order from the top f, s an below s is a third postion it will fire in is this normal?
I am worried about 922r compliance can you recommend some parts upgrades? The only known us part is the reciever, an all my mags are surplus hk?
My knowledge is limited but I am starting to think this was a build do to the cetme barrell, hk bolt, hk drum rear sight and hk furniture.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Sound like a mix of stuff. CETME trigger.
If you are concerned about 992 compliance I'd recommend locating someone close to lay eyes on the gun for you to help identify parts which should be US. OR sending the gun off to a good gunsmith (there are a number on this board) with your concerns and have them look it over for you. Only in these two cases will you be able to accurately determine exactly what you have and exactly what you need. Otherwise you could simply install a bunch of new US made parts that you know are genuine and call it good. May be money wasted though.
Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Willing to bet money that Hesse used CETME kits for builds because they were available dirt cheap. Kinda still are. Nothing wrong with them as long as they were built right. It's a fine gun, well worth collecting. It can be as accurate as the builder makes it... unfortunately Hesse doesn't have a sparkling reputation. But if it works to your satisfaction, that's all that really matters, no?

922r on a CETME clone... hard to know. I don't have much experience with the CETMEs other than firing a buddies gun which was imported before all this 922r nonsense. hkshooter has a good idea. Call up Ghille, Chop or Jayson and ask them if they can help you out. Normally, I'd recommend you call the manufacturer, but I'm not trusting the Hesse crowd (or whatever they are calling themselves now). I've seen and passed on a couple of really kinda bad looking Hesse guns... and their reputation precedes them.

Oh... and welcome.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When quality incidents are reported (Century, Hesse, PTR etc.), a name gets fouled pretty fast. I often have to wonder what the real statistics are. Someone once told me that for every unsatisfied customer that you hear from, there are usually many more satisfied customers who just stay quiet. Then there are the "bandwagon" dissatisfied customers... people who have heard a lot of bad things about their rifle and as soon as they have a few FTF or FTE, will go along with the idea that it is "junk" when it may just need some sort of slight adjustment. Folks seem to be a lot more tolerant of small problems that occur on top name equipment, but when similar issues occur on rifles that are labeled as "lemons" they get snowballed into an already bad reputation for the rifle... then there are a lot of folks who will trash a brand or rifle based upon what they have heard...

My FFL guy has had a CETME for years with no problems at all and also knows of many other people who have Century rifles of various flavors that work just fine. It's a numbers game. They aren't "all" junk. You just hear more from folks who have something negative to say about them...

That said, I have often considered purchasing a C93 or a CETME for the low going rate of $499. If I get "lucky" and it works well, then it's a heck of deal... and if it doesn't work so well, it's a nice way to practice some gunsmithing skills... and if it doesn't work at all, it's not a bad price for a complete parts kit.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Looks to be a CETME Lower (looking at selector) and CETME front sights, G3 drum sight.

Maybe take the FCG out of grip, CETME FCG is markedly different from 91 as I recall.

Any pics of internals?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Cetme Look at the bolt carrier and lower. Good shooters most underrated weapon in 308 for some reason? Have bill Springfield do a trigger job you will be pleased, Denny Williams will do the best trigger job - Williamstriggers.com - Militaryfirearms has the most information concerning this weapons platform you will need to become a member but its free and worth it.

RTG has a great page for parts that interchange between Cetme and H&K get the H&K 21 charging handle and get rid of the slim hand guards they have a tendency to place pressure on the barrel which can cause accuracy issues.

If you have Bill Springfield do the trigger have add the paddle mag.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Please provide evidence of this because I have read otherwise..
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261731

The scanned images of the response from the ATF are broken links, but the in the text of the reply:

3. Would a person incur criminal liability by the purchase and possession of a second-hand firearm which was determined not to be in compliance with 922(r), even though the assembly of saidfirearm was performed bl,someone other than the buyer, and the buyer had no way to verify the legality of that assembly?

18 U.S.C. 5 922(r)a ppliest o the act of assembly per se, not mere possession of the assembled firearm.
Looks like he used OCR software and didn't clean it up, but the gest is that it applies to the assembly, but not the possession.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts