HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first question I would like to ask would be, Is it safe to leave the O'ring on the barrel if you are allowing the barrel to soak in a solvent or should it be removed?

My second would be, My slide on my hk45C isn't locking back after the last round and it is not due to "Limp Wristing", what else could it be? It has only happened a few times and it happened to me yesterday while I was at the range. I have a very firm high grip on the weapon, and I haven't had any FTE/FTF which would also be a sign of limp wristing. I wish I had a video to post but I don't. I could possibly be hitting the slide release with my thumb. These are pictures of my grip.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Tuck your thumbs. You are likely preventing the slide catch from pivoting up after the last round exits the mag.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it, that is what I thought could be happeneing but I needed another pair of eyes to be positive. Feedback is always appreciated, one more answer to go any takers?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I forgot about the first question....

I think it depends on the strength of the solvent. O rings have distorted when exposed to chemically hot solvents before, so If I were in doubt, I'd just slip it off and put it back when done. I use a dental tool to hook under the O ring and lift it out of the groove. It's a good idea to keep it and the groove clean and lubed anyway. With the dental tool it's off and back on in two shakes of a lambs tail.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Tuck your thumbs. You are likely preventing the slide catch from pivoting up after the last round exits the mag.
I agree, I lock my thumbs down, for me, it applies more power on the frame for better control/better aim, and keeps them from touching the slide and slowing it down, which causes malfunctions. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
You have a good grip there, I can see where your right hand may actuate the slide lock accidently here and there, but if you take some extra care in your right thumb's placement it will be fine.

I use the same grip shooting Brushing off the dust. (HK45 and G19 range day) - YouTube , That is an HK45 full size. But I may have a compact in my possession this week. Working on it. But I will see when I get it if it makes a difference.

But your grip looks fine to me, it is the one I use. I find the Magpul style grip gives you the most stability. But I do ride the rail with my support hand also, to keep from touching the slide. You can kinda see me doing that in the video.

Edit: Also if you are going to soak your barrel then I would take the O-ring off. They are pretty tough and last a while, but I wouldn't put them through any unnecessary stress.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with these previous statements regarding your grip. That being said, you havn't stated what solvent you use to clean your firearm, but any solvent made specifically for guns should not hurt the rubber oring. Taking it off, like the others have stated, to me is a bad idea unless it needs to be replaced. Specifically because the more you stretch the oring taking it on and off the weaker you will make it. Its like any other piece of rubber, it may start to get a little dryer after being heated and cooled over and over, but once you stretch the rubber and possibly crack it, this can certainly decrease the life of the oring. I personally use Top Engine Cleaner to clean my firearms with all my orings on and they are still like brand new.
My .02
Kravur

·
Registered
783 Posts
Luckily O-rings are the cheapest replacement part HK makes! Still take care of them though... Nice gun! I was hitting the slide release with my grip as well. My last range trip was a mess. Malfuctions due to dry/dirty mags and I kept hitting that damn slide release. It's like I forgot how to shoot my HK. Anyway, let us know if the slide locks back when you adjust your grip.

·
Registered
765 Posts
regarding the thumbs - that's the most common error I've seen with these guns (HK45, P2000, P30 all included there).

regarding the o-ring - it isn't really that hard to get off, at the same time it isn't that expensive to replace. I would remove it, but I don't soak in solvents, either. It's your choice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have extra O-rings but I just wanted to know for future reference. I am using Hoppes No. 9 Solvent. As soon as I pick up more rounds I will tuck my thumbs to see if that solves my problem. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Hoppes has never distorted or swelled any of my O rings. I think you are good to go. However, I still think you should keep the O ring moistened with oil and occasionally remove it to clean the groove and inside the O ring. Nothing save distortion and dryness damages an O ring more than saturation with abrasive contamination. There are ways to remove the ring without stretching it around your elbow...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed it just to be safe and gave my girl a very thorough cleaning, the inside of the barrel is shining like glass, and the rest of it is as clean as can be!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I removed it just to be safe and gave my girl a very thorough cleaning, the inside of the barrel is shining like glass, and the rest of it is as clean as can be!
The HK O-rings are a bit of sales hype for 99% of the users. Shoot two groups - one with, one without the O-ring in place. See any difference? Unlikely you will UNLESS you are one of those hard guns that can outshoot a mechanical rest by hand (they do exist but these are highly talentd National-level precision shooters), or you use a solid repeatable mechanical rest to shooty you groups. In that case the O-ring design can make a very slight distance and was first used in the MK23 to meet a very stringent accuracy requirement from SOCOM. I have shot many HK pistols fitted with these O-rings when the O-rings were gone and frankly I saw no difference- none. I have witnessed many shooters shooting O-ringd HK's that would never get close to the accuracy capability of the weapon because of their poor proficiency or the ammo they used. During the early days of marketing the MK23 we shot 5" and 8" plate targets at 100 meters offhand with some operators AFTER removing the O-ring to demonstrate the gun functioned well without it.

What I am saying is don't get too wrapped around these O-rings. I soaked MANY in solvent and ultrasonic cleaners many times. They come out dry and tacky. Before you assemble the pistol wipe on some lube around the O-ring and you are GTG.

Remember- if a $1000+ pistol need a .003 cent rubber O-ring to shoot accurately there is something very wrong there.

I also would not recommend removing the O-rings for cleaning. That slight trace of fouling under the O-ring means nothing to the operation of the pistol.

Much ado about nothing.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Why would anyone soak the barrel in solvent? All that's necessary is to glug some CLP down the barrel and drag your Boresnake thru it. Twice if you're really anal about cleaning.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Agreed with what's said above, the solvent will not harm the O-ring. As for you failures to lock back, it is more than likely your grip influencing the slide release as already mentioned; however, this is the same grip that I use. Just make the necessary adjustments and move on. No need to tuck your thumbs and besides, tucking your thumb and/or thumbs up grips are so "70's."

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah me either, I wasn't born until half way through the 80's, but thanks hahaha, and as for the soaking my barrel in solvent, I like the mirror finish I have after I do so and swab it out and then coat it lightly with oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts