HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using lots of zip lock bags up soaking my USPs in breakfree or gun scrubber after they are sprayed down, it works really well, but I think soaking will work better and get to more areas, plus my wife sill stop bitching about me using up all the bags. I also figure its probably better for the environment not to waste all that non biodegradable plastic anyway. I am going to get a plastic or glass container I can use long term and put a good cleaning, conditioning, and lubricating solvent in so that I can soak my USPs for about an hour before cleaning after the range to make cleaning multiple guns take less time. I want something that will clean the carbon, copper, and lead out, but also lubricate all the small parts I dont get to on a normal field stripping. I want something that comes in a bottle of 32oz or more but I can buy w 16oz bottles as well I suppose. Additionally, I dont want it to screw with my night sights or any locktite that helps hold the sights in place. I know the dirt and grim will stay in the container, but this is just to really loosen up the dirt cut the carbon and lubricate, I will spray and wipe it down afterwards. This is also why I dont want something super expensive so I wont mind replacing it when it gets too dirty...something biodegradable would be awesome as long as it works well.

I was looking at hoppe's elite gun cleaner which I have used before and liked, but it doesnt lubricate.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight and get a gallon jug of their "Super Heavy Duty Degreaser".

This stuff is water-based (you mix it with water), yet cuts grunge and grime every bit as good as a Safety-Kleen tank. It is amazing stuff. We use it all the time in the armory. You just have to make an effort to get it all out (we used compressed air) because it doesn't dry/evaporate instantly like the alcohol-based solvents do.

Air-drying would work; but if I didn't have an air compressor, I would air-dry and then spray the internals with one of the "sports lube" sprays (NOT WD-40!!!!!) to make sure I displaced all the solvent/water mix.

Anyway, just a thought. We buy this stuff by the case, but if you're just going to clean a few pistols with it, a gallon will last you forever.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This just sounds like a bad idea. You really don't want all that oil in the firing pin hole. The gun isn't a 1911 and doesn't need to be treated like one. Like I've said before, my gun have well over 100k rounds through it and has never had any more cleaning than a standard field strip. I am planning on sending it into HK for a checkup and deep cleaning but soaking the whole thing on a regular basis just seems like you'd end up gumming up something.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This just sounds like a bad idea. You really don't want all that oil in the firing pin hole. The gun isn't a 1911 and doesn't need to be treated like one. Like I've said before, my gun have well over 100k rounds through it and has never had any more cleaning than a standard field strip. I am planning on sending it into HK for a checkup and deep cleaning but soaking the whole thing on a regular basis just seems like you'd end up gumming up something.
I guess I could just get a big bottle of M pro 7 instead with the spray nozzle and spray the gun down and let it sit for a while first. I just like how letting the gun sit/soak cuts cleaning time so much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess I could just get a big bottle of M pro 7 instead with the spray nozzle and spray the gun down and let it sit for a while first. I just like how letting the gun sit/soak cuts cleaning time so much.
Im curious about this too.. Let me know what you end up getting because i need to get away from the walmart gun cleaner kit! I have been wanting a solvent to just throw the top half of the gun in to clean out multiple guns too. I had a neighbor that shot all the time that did that but i cant remember what he used.

J

·
0 Posts
Sounds like Cylinder & Slide has a product for you. They're a highly regarded pistolsmith, usually working on Hi-Powers and 1911s.

Poly-Dunk-Kit has been formulated to clean the polymer frame handguns better than the Original Dunk-Kit. Special solvents have been added that will remove powder fouling from the polymer frame handguns better than the Original Dunk-kit. Poly-Dunk-Kit can also be used to clean any type of steel or alloy frame pistol. To clean your polymer frame handgun, simply field strip, submerge and soak the parts for 5 to 10 minutes, scrub the parts with a tooth brush, bore brush the barrel, then wipe or blow dry with compressed air, and reassemble. It is just that simple. Price includes UPS Delivery in the continental United States.

Price: $67.60

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I'm not big on the "cleaning and lubricating" idea. The best things for cleaning are solvent or ammonia based to remove copper, carbon, powder residue, etc and will also wash away any oil.

I think you'd be better off looking for a good cleaner, then oil it with a quality lubricant. Any lubricant that also cleans is just going to keep the dirt trapped in places you'd rather wash it away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like Cylinder & Slide has a product for you. They're a highly regarded pistolsmith, usually working on Hi-Powers and 1911s.

Poly-Dunk-Kit has been formulated to clean the polymer frame handguns better than the Original Dunk-Kit. Special solvents have been added that will remove powder fouling from the polymer frame handguns better than the Original Dunk-kit. Poly-Dunk-Kit can also be used to clean any type of steel or alloy frame pistol. To clean your polymer frame handgun, simply field strip, submerge and soak the parts for 5 to 10 minutes, scrub the parts with a tooth brush, bore brush the barrel, then wipe or blow dry with compressed air, and reassemble. It is just that simple. Price includes UPS Delivery in the continental United States.

Price: $67.60
You rule man.. I think thats the stuff I've been trying to remember that but its been like 8 years since ive seen it! Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not big on the "cleaning and lubricating" idea. The best things for cleaning are solvent or ammonia based to remove copper, carbon, powder residue, etc and will also wash away any oil.

I think you'd be better off looking for a good cleaner, then oil it with a quality lubricant. Any lubricant that also cleans is just going to keep the dirt trapped in places you'd rather wash it away.
I was going to go that way initially, the only thing that stopped me is realizing that I am paying so much attention to cleaning out all the little nooks and crannies I cant reach with a rag or brush, but not paying attention to lubricating them afterwards. Im still kind of on the fence I suppose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was going to go that way initially, the only thing that stopped me is realizing that I am paying so much attention to cleaning out all the little nooks and crannies I cant reach with a rag or brush, but not paying attention to lubricating them afterwards. Im still kind of on the fence I suppose.
I personally think it would be better for you to use something like the bucket of solvent then lube.. I dunno about dipping the whole gun though. I only planned on dipping the slide assembly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally think it would be better for you to use something like the bucket of solvent then lube.. I dunno about dipping the whole gun though. I only planned on dipping the slide assembly.
I just know there are lots of parts that dont get cleaned with a brush, and I know the growing number of people who use ultrasonic cleaners, but I dont want to go that route, I think its a bit to invasive. This is why I thought a soaking would be better...but maybe just spraying it down is the better way to go about it...I dunno.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just know there are lots of parts that dont get cleaned with a brush, and I know the growing number of people who use ultrasonic cleaners, but I dont want to go that route, I think its a bit to invasive. This is why I thought a soaking would be better...but maybe just spraying it down is the better way to go about it...I dunno.
Well the guy I know that used that dip was a gunsmith.. He was pretty anal about his guns and such. It seemed to work out pretty good for him he would just soak the gun after we shot then dry is and put lube where it was needed. Im not sure what you mean by spraying though.. The USP isnt that complicated of a gun anyway where is the dirt you think you arent getting to?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the guy I know that used that dip was a gunsmith.. He was pretty anal about his guns and such. It seemed to work out pretty good for him he would just soak the gun after we shot then dry is and put lube where it was needed. Im not sure what you mean by spraying though.. The USP isnt that complicated of a gun anyway where is the dirt you think you arent getting to?
I mean like the M PRO 7 that comes in a spray bottle. I want to clean metal parts in the frame that I cant reach fully with a brush such as the parts of the hammer springs, sear, basically everthing that connects the movement of the trigger to the hammer. All that stuff I cant reach. I also like dipping the barrel because it makes it REALLY easy to clean. and the slide isnt as big a deal because I can reach most anything in there, but it does really soften up the dirt. Spraying MPRO7 on the gun will solve my slide and my barrel issues for the most part, but I cant see anything else other than a dip really getting to all those little metal parts in the frame.

make sense or no?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I mean like the M PRO 7 that comes in a spray bottle. I want to clean metal parts in the frame that I cant reach fully with a brush such as the parts of the hammer springs, sear, basically everthing that connects the movement of the trigger to the hammer. All that stuff I cant reach. I also like dipping the barrel because it makes it REALLY easy to clean. and the slide isnt as big a deal because I can reach most anything in there, but it does really soften up the dirt. Spraying MPRO7 on the gun will solve my slide and my barrel issues for the most part, but I cant see anything else other than a dip really getting to all those little metal parts in the frame.

make sense or no?
Yeah, I see now.. I think that solution that jesse posted along with a good lube would be good. I only say that because the tricare sort of lube/cleaner things I have used are kindof handy but dont seem to be as good of a lubricant.. Although it may not matter on those type of parts.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts

make sense or no?
Dude... you're over-complicating this.

The easiest way to accomplish what you want is to get a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner and douche out the frame/receiver; then re-oil with a needle oiler.

No doubt some will screech in anguish over this; some always do when this subject comes up. But there are many folks who have been doing this for years, with no adverse effects. I'm one of them; on three different polymer pistols.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I see now.. I think that solution that jesse posted along with a good lube would be good. I only say that because the tricare sort of lube/cleaner things I have used are kindof handy but dont seem to be as good of a lubricant.. Although it may not matter on those type of parts.
I wish I knew what was in that special solution. I wonder if its any better than a gallon of hoppe's elite gun cleaner or any other solution. It is convenient that the price includes shipping and a bucket though. Im not sure whether I would need .75 gallons or 1.75 gallons if I generally dunk 2 field stripped pistols at a time

·
Registered
9 Posts
A roomate of mine used to soak his glocks in this stuff called Prolix, he'd stick 'em in there and leave them overnight. I looked around but couldn't find that stuff recently.

So what I did was buy myself a big bottle of MPro7 and put about half of it into this sturdy tupperwear container, which is just big enough. When I come home from the range I stick barrels in there for a few minutes; when it is time to do a deeper cleaning, i stick all the components in and let 'em soak for a bit. Not too long, and I don't put things that are neither metal nor poly in.

I do my barrel cleaning and scrub away any chunks of fouling I see, then air-dry, then I use dabs of MPro7 oil where required.

The container of MPro7 lives in a corner under my workbench. It gets murky but you can reclaim some of it by filtering it through a coffee filter.

This is a pretty good regimen. I'd like to get into the habit of having my guns cleaned in an ultrasound tank every year or so but my range doesn't have one of those.

J

·
0 Posts
I wish I knew what was in that special solution. I wonder if its any better than a gallon of hoppe's elite gun cleaner or any other solution. It is convenient that the price includes shipping and a bucket though. Im not sure whether I would need .75 gallons or 1.75 gallons if I generally dunk 2 field stripped pistols at a time
I just did some comparison shopping and number crunching.

1.75 gallons of Hoppes Elite from Cheaperthandirt.com is $110 delivered.

1.75 gallons of Dunk-Kit is $67.50 delivered.

1.75 gallons of M Pro 7 would cost about $135 delivered from Midway USA.

Buying the .75 gallon of Dunk-Kit is $16.50 per quart.
The 1.75 gallon of Dunk-Kit is $9.64 per quart.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just did some comparison shopping and number crunching.

1.75 gallons of Hoppes Elite from Cheaperthandirt.com is $110 delivered.

1.75 gallons of Dunk-Kit is $67.50 delivered.

1.75 gallons of M Pro 7 would cost about $135 delivered from Midway USA.

Buying the .75 gallon of Dunk-Kit is $16.50 per quart.
The 1.75 gallon of Dunk-Kit is $9.64 per quart.
thanks!

I read a few revies of dunk-kit on THR and most people say its just ok, the Hoppes I know is great, same with MPRO7. Anyone have any opinions of dunk-kit as opposed to the hoppes or mpro?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
For what it's worth:

Bonesaw's roomate was onto something. I use Prolix for both cleaning and lube. Awesome stuff. No fumes and it won't kill primers if it leaks out of the FP hole. You can definitely find it online.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts