HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So right now I am thinking about picking up another HK. I have a P2000 DA/SA in 9mm and an HK45c DA/SA. I like both but I love the P2000. I find the trigger to be much smoother than the HK45c (similar to the P30). For me its an awesome size for carry, home defense, and it holds its own at the range too. As such I am debating the following.

Should I pick up another P2000 in 40 SW, or a P30 in 9mm? The P2000 in 40 would be to round out the collection. I don't have a lot of problems with the 40. I have a P229 in 40 (I don't really find it comfortable to carry though) and have owned an FNX 40 and a PX4 40. The last two are both polymer framed pistols and the recoil was relatively mild. I've never fired a P2000 in 40, so any comments on how it handles it would be appreciated. If it handles the recoil well I would probably carry it on occasion. The P30 would be to try something new. I have held one and dry fired one in an LGS and they are very nice. Would probably end up being used more for home defense and range use.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

-TR

·
Registered
818 Posts
Another vote for a P30/P30L in 9mm.

Here's a picture of my P30L to inspire you. :wink:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
9mm is cheaper to feed...unless you reload...the ballistic advantage of the .40 are offset by additional magazine capacity in the 9mm...

Personally I lust after a P2K in .40 to highlight my USPc and USPf ...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cost of the ammo isn't a major concern. I have ~600 rounds of 40 sitting around.

Surprised to see no recommendation for the P2000. I'll have to go back to my LGS and play with that P30 some more as obviously it is one popular gun.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The .40 is a 'Cult Round'...its won me over because of my hands being a tad small for a .45 and because I just am not a 9mm guy....I had a SIG and a Springfield XD both in 9mm and just wasn't impressed...both by platform and caliber...

I LOVE my USPc and USPf in .40--I've shot both in 9mm also before I bought mine--and I am never quick to tell anybody to jump on the .40 unless its their first handgun....because of the advantages of 9mm for entry-level guys and 45acp for carry

If you have .40 ammo around then the P2K might be a good fit...ultimately it boils down to what you like better and which will serve you best....a P2K in .40 is my next HK but as pointed out before I'm dedicated to .40 only since I reload for it and I love the round....

Keep us posted on what ya decide....and standard forum protocal states "No pictures means it didn't happen!"

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
I think the P30 is a better pistol than the P2000. Don't get me wrong the P2000 is a wonderful handgun.

There was a wise fellow on here, I forget who, that said this "I think the P2000 is the Jack of all trades, but the master of none." That is the best way to describe it. Perfect carry gun, but the P30 has more rounds and a better grip to some. It can be a duty pistol, but the USP, HK45, and P30L do it a touch better. It can be a plinking gun but the other HK's do it better sometimes.

The P30 is just a more refined and elegant weapon. The P2000 has a place, and I may own one someday. But I bought a P30.

So out of a P2000 and P30, I would say get the P30. If you found a great deal on the P2000 I would say go with that, but only if it was a waaaay better deal than the P30.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I think the P2000 is the Jack of all trades, but the master of none."
That's fair to say.

I think right now I might pick up the P2000. A local dealer has one with night sights in damn near perfect condition for ~$625 out the door. I think I'd like a 40 that I could carry if the mood hit me ;). I tend to like compact size guns a bit better overall and the size of the P2000 is great for carry. Plus I already have holsters and what not for the P2000.

I want a P30, but I think I want to wait for a P30L. With the larger grip as opposed to my P2000, especially with flat baseplates, I probably wouldn't carry the P30 concealed. I think the P30L would make a sick range gun :).

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would stick with another P2000 9mm or P30 9mm. Though in my opinion...I've never seen any point to the .40 caliber...unless you need slightly better performance shooting through car windows. Other than that...it's more expensive, recoils more, holds less rounds, and has negligible positive affects over 9mm on bad guys when using quality loads.

What kind of holster do you have for your P2000? A P30 might fit in the same holster.

You may want to take your P2000 to the range and compare it side by side with the P30. You might be surprised at how close they are dimensionally...and in my opinion at least, it wouldn't make much difference concerning concealability.

I really really like the P2000...the only thing that made me shy away from it, is that I can't get an Hk threaded barrel for it to use with a suppressor. With the P30...I can get a P30L barrel and thread that. If you don't plan on using a suppressor, I guess that's a moot point though.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Though in my opinion...I've never seen any point to the .40 caliber...unless you need slightly better performance shooting through car windows. Other than that...it's more expensive, recoils more, holds less rounds, and has negligible positive affects over 9mm on bad guys when using quality loads.
I'd rather not get in a caliber war. Suffice it to say around me 9mm and 45ACP run out at the stores long before 40SW does. It's easy for me to get and I like having options.

What kind of holster do you have for your P2000? A P30 might fit in the same holster.
Crossbreed SuperTuck.

You might be surprised at how close they are dimensionally...and in my opinion at least, it wouldn't make much difference concerning concealability.
I did that before I bought the P2000 :). With flat base plates the P2000 is a good 0.5 shorter in height. That's not a huge difference but it's enough of one for me. I also prefer the smoother grip on the P2000 as opposed to the P30 for carry. In the summer I conceal under a T-shirt against the skin.

With the P30...I can get a P30L barrel and thread that. If you don't plan on using a suppressor, I guess that's a moot point though.
I really have no intention of using a suppressor.

Don't get me wrong I think the P30 is an awesome gun and I will probably own one before too long :).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
P30 9mm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts