HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember about a year ago there was a fellow on Glocktalk who was asking advice in the HK section and he had a HK45c with some goodies (CTC laser, Mitch holster, a couple mags) and he was asking if 1800 was a good selling price for it. Well most of the response we're "No" or "Break up the package"... I even responded "That's MK23, P7M13, or even Wilson Combat money... you're not getting 1800 for that" The OP got kinda offended and to this day I don't know if he ever sold it or what.

Now with that said I'll tell you why I brought this up. I've been seeing a trend lately on this and other forums with the HK45c. Buy them, add a holster or a threaded barrell and sell for either exactly what you have in it or more. I may be stepping on alot of toes here and I don't mean to take the food out of another man's mouth but I wonder if it's the seller who is lacking common business sense or me that doesn't know how to do business. I never brought a HK45c BNIB for over 1000$... I brought two used for under 900 and I refuse to say how much I brought my GGI LEM HK45c for but it was considerably less expensive than some of these HK45c's I see on the selling boards... So why do some sellers think that used plain Jane HK45c's demand BNIB prices? Are the HK45c's going up in value? Will these mighty pistols hold the same value as say the higher end P7's? Or are HK45c owners capatilizing on the HK45c hype? I see sensible pricing for every HK that comes up on the board, but I just think that some of these sellers are totally trying to take advantage of the Hk45c craze. I saw a fairly recently new USPc.45 go for under 800 and a few days later a LNIB stock HK45c go for 1000$... Either there is a disconnect here, people without alot of HK knowledge are being taken advantage of, or like I said I don't know how to do business.

Well I know this offended everyone who sold or anyone planning on selling a HK for a premium price so if I get banned for this I understand, it's just something that's been bothering me and I felt like I had to say something about it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No doubt there is a lot of hype around the HK 45 and 45c. The relative scarcity compared to some other leading brands contributes to the hysteria. Which does not take away from the fact that it is indeed a mighty fine pistol.

So Glocktalk has an HK section? Interesting, we don't have a Glock section. . .

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Personally I think the prices some people ask are a bit on the crazy side, but I guess if they can find some buyers that either have not researched the prices very well or have tons of money to throw around, then more power to them.

I guess if maybe you were going to go out and buy every option and accessory they bought at full price then it might make sense, but in my opinion these $1600 and $1800 HK45c packages are a bit over the top in pricing.

I've not seen any shortage of HK45c models but maybe some people are.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No doubt there is a lot of hype around the HK 45 and 45c. The relative scarcity compared to some other leading brands contributes to the hysteria. Which does not take away from the fact that it is indeed a mighty fine pistol.

So Glocktalk has an HK section? Interesting, we don't have a Glock section. . .
Yes sir. Def one of the best .45's on the market... I think only rivaled by the other .45 acp HK's and high quality 1911's, but that's quality wise. I still have to recognize the innovations of the Springfield XDM .45 and FNP tac.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, I do think that the value of the german ones is going up, especially for nice examples.
See, I asked this a while back when HK started HK45/.45c production in the states. Will the German one's go up in value, it's not that I regret selling my German Hk45c's... I love my USP 9mm, but the response from most was that it wouldn't raise the value of German HK45c's.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I think the prices some people ask are a bit on the crazy side, but I guess if they can find some buyers that either have not researched the prices very well or have tons of money to throw around, then more power to them... I guess if maybe you were going to go out and buy every option and accessory they bought at full price then it might make sense, but in my opinion these $1600 and $1800 HK45c packages are a bit over the top in pricing.
I agree, but is it that these prices are on the crazy side or is it that the German HK45c has really gone up in value. I mean people are buying them.

I've not seen any shortage of HK45c models but maybe some people are.
No I haven't seen a shortage either. There are two used HK45c's at my LGS, and that's what I can't understand. How does a used HK45c go for what a BNIB goes for?... And let me clarify I'm not trying to bash here but I have called gun shop's to price BNIB and used HK45c's and they are usually either less or equal to the one's I see from private sellers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been looing for a HK45C or CT and see used ones going for the price of new ones or individual sellers trying to make a few bucks selling NIB for $100 - $200 over the price of what they cost new in the gun stores. A store in the Detroit area had one for $1300, maybe people are spending that much and not knowing or caring they are being over charged.

I'm no expert but I don't see any difference in a German made vs U.S. made so I don't understand why the price would be more for the German one. If I am missing something feel free to educate me on this matter.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I'm no expert but I don't see any difference in a German made vs U.S. made so I don't understand why the price would be more for the German one. If I am missing something feel free to educate me on this matter.
It is really rather simple. People want what they can't get anymore. Anyone can walk in and buy a NIB US HK45 or HK45c, but not a German one. It does not matter that quality is the same just that it was made in Germany and now it's not.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I don't particularly care if my next gun whether it be the HK45c or the USPc.45 is German or US made. I almost prefer US just because I know then that my purchase helped employ an American.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'll spend any amount of money to defend myself and my family with the best. If all Hk's were $2k+ I'd still buy them.

Sure a Glock or M&P are good enough guns but my family is worth more than, "good enough".

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 2 local stores. One has 1 hk45c American nib and is asking $1,000.00. The other store hasn't had one in stock for months but would order it for their price. I've seen 1 or 2 used for sale on line but they are $850.00 or better and you still have to pay shipping and FFL. I guess you can negotiate but it seems to be a sellers market. I guess I will wait and be patient.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There's two realities; the online market and the more tangible, local market. Both are the result of our purchasing practices. Some folks will price a firearm out of this world. Eventually someone may come along and buy it for one reason or another. The next guy will try the same strategy and may have very different results.

It has been my experience that it is best to price an item at a realistic price point and stick to your guns on the price. Break up the package. Nobody cares about your extra mags or your holster, unless that person sees the value therein and knows they would be spending that money to procure them anyways. Even with that said, people are out there to rape you on your firearm. The best one I've experienced was a dealer who offered me $325 trade-in value on a P2000. He tried to tell me that was wholesale value :100000:

We create more madness for ourselves when we create frenzies, whether they be tied to election time or from suddenly deciding those colored frames that nobody bought and were subsequently put on clearance sale are now desirable and highly sought-after. This is going on right now in the Glock market with the OD frames and the guys who are holding the new FDE framed guns are behaving similarly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll spend any amount of money to defend myself and my family with the best. If all Hk's were $2k+ I'd still buy them.

Sure a Glock or M&P are good enough guns but my family is worth more than, "good enough".
This. I buy hk pistols because of their quality. No crappy plastic guide rods or Loctited sights. The price means nothing when it comes to protecting me and mine. When it comes to selling anything... It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Price is totally relative to who's buying and how bad do they want it. To someone like myself $1000 isn't that much when I know I am buying a quality HK firearm. Then there are some that like to quantify any pistol price by how many Glocks or M&P's they could get for the same price. C'mon we all know the types. "$1000 bucks for a HK45, screw that I can get 2 Glocks for that much!". As for price gouging a used HK, I wouldn't know because I never have entertained the idea of selling any of my HK's. Everything else would go first.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I don't understand people's buying and selling habits when it comes to firearms, but I rarely make impulse buys unless the price is so good I can shoot it then sell it for no loss.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's two realities; the online market and the more tangible, local market. Both are the result of our purchasing practices. Some folks will price a firearm out of this world. Eventually someone may come along and buy it for one reason or another. The next guy will try the same strategy and may have very different results.

It has been my experience that it is best to price an item at a realistic price point and stick to your guns on the price. Break up the package. Nobody cares about your extra mags or your holster, unless that person sees the value therein and knows they would be spending that money to procure them anyways. Even with that said, people are out there to rape you on your firearm. The best one I've experienced was a dealer who offered me $325 trade-in value on a P2000. He tried to tell me that was wholesale value :100000:

We create more madness for ourselves when we create frenzies, whether they be tied to election time or from suddenly deciding those colored frames that nobody bought and were subsequently put on clearance sale are now desirable and highly sought-after. This is going on right now in the Glock market with the OD frames and the guys who are holding the new FDE framed guns are behaving similarly.
(Reffering to the bold). I have seen this with the FDE Gen 4 Glocks. It's crazy. My friend got one but had to pay 600 for it... Unreal. The madness we create for ourselves def hurts our wallets.

A tinge of HK snobbery don't you think? Yes HK is the undisputed king of polymer but Glocks and M&P's are more than just "good enough". There is a price point in which I won't buy a certain firearm. I'd rather take the less expensive, yet reliable gun with tons of ammo and training then break myself to have a certain brand... Fortunately for me I can afford HK's and still afford ammo and training. The other polymers may not be on par on the quality aspect but they are just as reliable.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't understand people's buying and selling habits when it comes to firearms, but I rarely make impulse buys unless the price is so good I can shoot it then sell it for no loss.
^This. If you buy quality used when good deals present themselves... you can always recover your investment. If you pay a premium for new when demand temporarily exceeds supply, not so much.

I made a purchase last night on a gun that was on my wish list that I hadn't expected to make for a while... but it was a REALLY good deal. And I could resell next week for what I paid or more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used to care an awful lot more about resale value of pistols... But since i switched to 9mm only, I just buy the ones I want to keep for myself until death does us part. I'm married to each one now :0

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used to care an awful lot more about resale value of pistols... But since i switched to 9mm only, I just buy the ones I want to keep for myself until death does us part. I'm married to each one now :0
Odd. Since I made the switch and consilidated I feel the same exact way, I thought it was just me. I think it's because now that I can afford to shoot as much as I want I don't care too much about what I shoot as long as it's reliable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts