HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Manufactures don't cater to us little people, the ones on the short end of the supply and demand see-saw, so my USP Expert and I set out on a mission to create a Kydex holster.

I have been doing Kydex for years in creating knife sheaths for myself and teammates and did a holster for my USP Tactical many years ago (didn't like) so I decided to give pistol holsters another try. I started with the foundation of the G-Code RTI mounting platform as I use a G-code SOC rig at work and really like its modularity and convenience. Keep in mind, Kydex isn't too challenging when molding around knives, but when you have components such as tall sights, safties/slide releases, and the trigger well for the soft Kydex (while heated) to form snug around and into it makes it almost impossible to slide the weapon in and out once the Kydex is formed and hard.

By joshuatx at 2012-04-07

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Very nice. Nothing like being able to say 'I made that'.

BTW blade-tech does make kydex holsters for Experts. I have three of them, lol.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Nice work and nice looking AK in the background.

·
Registered
410 Posts
wow! it looks soooooo not homemade. ive seen some homemades here, not for HKs thoug. looked funny, like a cling-wrapped firearm with lots of rivets.

i have a kydex for my USPt made by ronnie garrett. its delightfully leather lined. it's quiet, and doesn't hurt your finish (after perhaps million draws w/ mine)
and, it's got that awesome western look when the gun is unholstered, i wear it on a ranger belt in level 1 matches, together with a hat and a pair of boots, LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Very nice. Nothing like being able to say 'I made that'.

BTW blade-tech does make kydex holsters for Experts. I have three of them, lol.
Blade tech, I had no idea, last time I had a tactical no one made a kydex holster.

wow! it looks soooooo not homemade. ive seen some homemades here, not for HKs thoug. looked funny, like a cling-wrapped firearm with lots of rivets.

i have a kydex for my USPt made by ronnie garrett. its delightfully leather lined. it's quiet, and doesn't hurt your finish (after perhaps million draws w/ mine)
and, it's got that awesome western look when the gun is unholstered, i wear it on a ranger belt in level 1 matches, together with a hat and a pair of boots, LOL
Damn near half the stuff I have is homemade, and better than any company can do, I'm a fabricator and I'd say that's one of my greatest passions is making stuff, myself. But that comes at a cost of having the right tools and the knowledge, either from training or just old fashion trial and error.

Here is a pic of my first kydex holster I ever attempted for an old tac with light. I didn't care for it much, but it all was stolen so i didn't have to throw it away.

By joshuatx at 2010-09-30

And like S5TIIOwner said, yeah that's right I made that. Here's a pic of a knife I made last year wrapped in one of my sheaths. The knife had about 30 hours over the course of two months, and I don't think yall are could handle seeing the beauty of the blade yet.

By joshuatx at 2012-04-09

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neat idea, I just looked up some pics of the holsters you mentioned. I may try that some time. I do though feel retention would be less than that of kydex without the leather. What is your take?

As far as degrading my finish, I really don't care. Nothing I own is for show, I'll just refinish it someday.

·
Registered
410 Posts
if you tighten the adjustment, i feel it grips the gun even more. even when it's loose i could turn it up side down and the leather is keeping it from dropping, but draw it, it's smooth and quiet. took minimal time to break in. i so love it. the finish is still gonna wear here of course, but leather kind of creates a beautiful wear patter opposed to hideous kydex scratches in my opinion

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love that od rig with g-code, (I'm a fan of g-code) Very nice!! So...what do you charge??  lol Btw...nice stipple job on your USP!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you tighten the adjustment, i feel it grips the gun even more. even when it's loose i could turn it up side down and the leather is keeping it from dropping, but draw it, it's smooth and quiet. took minimal time to break in. i so love it. the finish is still gonna wear here of course, but leather kind of creates a beautiful wear patter opposed to hideous kydex scratches in my opinion
Sounds nice, I'm gonna have to try out a build like that some time, now just to figure out how he does it.

I love that od rig with g-code, (I'm a fan of g-code) Very nice!! So...what do you charge??  lol Btw...nice stipple job on your USP!
Yeah I've been using G-code for some time. I use some of their gear for work and play. Would I make one for someone else? Sure but not right now. I'm currently living in territory of NY, a place where the constitution and its amendments only exist to serve whatever agenda some politician might be favoring on any given day. I don't even have most of my firearms with me because they are either illegal "in this state" or I would be required to jump through hoops and pay outrageous fees to have the right to bear arms, I'm not giving this place ANY money.

I need to quit ranting... But I'll still do knife sheaths.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey i no this is an old post but i have a full size USP.40 and just got an Ncstar rail and a light laser combo from a gun show fitted on and need a holster that wud allow me to carry on my hip as concealable as possible how much would u charge to make a hand crafted kydex i can sned pictures if need/?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Heavyarmed, go check out my post from very recently in "The Saddlery" titled "Old Faithful U-Mold-It Build." You can get the IWB U-Mold-It kit from Old Faithful Holsters or the OWB kit with Large Tek-Lok from knifekits.com. Then go to youtube and search "PhillyEDC." You will learn everything you need to know and most likely already have everything you really need to get making these kydex holsters yourself. I would make one for you but I'm betting your light/laser setup isn't the same as I currently have. Also, I don't have the NCSTAR, but a Surefire MR09 instead. You can PM me if you have any questions tho. And if so, send pictures also. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Old faithful has awesome videos on their site that will show you how to make everything. There are a ton of them on youtube as well, though.

Best of luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts