HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post, been reading as much as I could about various things.

I started shooting about 2 years ago and bought my first gun about a year ago. Shot many guns, and decided I want a USP as my first. Found one used and jumped on it. Just today I picked up New Mark 23 that I purchased through a vendor on this site. I am amazed with this gun as I am every HK. I have fired 1000's of rounds with many guns. Only two things have never jammed on me. Any HK weapon and an FN FiveSeveN. Definitely an HK fan for life. My next purchase will be a VP70. Cannot get enough of them.

My main concern is storage. My USP spends some time in the safe, and I noticed if it sits for a few weeks or so you see what seem to be like a gray fade. The first time I saw this I thought it was the start of corrision, so needless to say I kind of freaked out, cleaned it and it seemed fine. I now store it in a gun sock, as well as the rest of my guns. To my dismay, i take the USP out of the sock and see the same faded gray in spots. It then disappears with a very light wipe of a silicon cloth. I do also have a silicon packet in the safe as well.

Any ideas on what is happening? I like to keep everything of mine in the best condition possible. Any tips? Especially since I know have the Mark 23. Which may not be shot much at all.

Also, in your opinion what is the best cleaning and oiling method to ensure a long lasting life of my fire arms. Right now I do not cake on the lubricant just enough to cover any and all moving parts. I use Hoppes products.

Here are a few pix.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
First of all, welcome the Asylum--These two HK's will not be your last!!!

DO NOT STORE GUNS IN CASES!!!! Sorry that was my Dad's teachings coming out of my fingers!!!

What you have happening is moisture building up in your Gun Sock from temperature flucuation thats causing your "problem"...Simply wipe off the slides with a light coat of oil and lay them flat on your shelf or stand them up in a rack...also check your dehumidifier and make sure its working properly-it could cause the problem to worsen

I use Hoppes 9 Solvents and Breakfree CLP and they have never let me down

Also just a casual observation--A little "Trigger Discipline" SNAFU in that bottom picture...big range day no-no ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, welcome the Asylum--These two HK's will not be your last!!!

DO NOT STORE GUNS IN CASES!!!! Sorry that was my Dad's teachings coming out of my fingers!!!

What you have happening is moisture building up in your Gun Sock from temperature flucuation thats causing your "problem"...Simply wipe off the slides with a light coat of oil and lay them flat on your shelf or stand them up in a rack...also check your dehumidifier and make sure its working properly-it could cause the problem to worsen

I use Hoppes 9 Solvents and Breakfree CLP and they have never let me down

Also just a casual observation--A little "Trigger Discipline" SNAFU in that bottom picture...big range day no-no ;)

Hm.. I was under the impression that the gun sock would keep it dry? When just the safe not in the socksame thing would happen. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thought about the finger on the trigger as i was taking the pic. Came in so clear had to keep it. Other pix fingdr is on the gaurd. Gun was also already checked and cleared. Thanks for the heads up though. Just gotta get in the habit of it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hm.. I was under the impression that the gun sock would keep it dry? When just the safe not in the socksame thing would happen. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thought about the finger on the trigger as i was taking the pic. Came in so clear had to keep it. Other pix fingdr is on the gaurd. Gun was also already checked and cleared. Thanks for the heads up though. Just gotta get in the habit of it.
Its a zero-tolerance rule at the range with me...Coopers Rules; Guns are ALWAYS loaded even when they aren't...and finger is not on the trigger until ready to fire...just bustin your chops ;)
there is a great video of why trigger discipline is so important that is shown in safety courses by a friend of mine--LAPD officer almost shoots a detained suspect in the head because her finger was on the trigger, not the side ofher Beretta...

+1 for being aware of what I was talking about though! keep us informed of progress and check that dehumidifier out!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts