HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all!

So I'm no expert or even a great shooter for that matter, but I have fired all types of handguns from Glocks,Sigs,Hk,Walther,Springfield,1911's etc.

From every manufacture I have shot their 9mm,.40,and .45's. I've also owned a Glock 27 in .40 and just wanted a different feel to the gun so I went down to the firing line in Colorado fully expecting to purchase one of the new Springfield Xdm's in .40 then like an Angel flying down from the heavens the clerk placed the P30 in my hands.

Nooooo! Damn it! Now to be honest I have held it before and did a lot of looking it up videos reviews etc. And I knew I didnt want to spend that much but once I felt it in my hands for the second time and it brought back those memories of perfection from the first time... I knew I found my baby and just had to own it.

I had the sales person measure the trigger and she was coming in at just shy of 11 lbs for the double action and around 4.5 for the single action. I didn't like the double action at all but since I like to put her in single from the first shoot I was more concerned with the single which felt decent'. I knew all about trigger jobs and had an idea in my head of what I wanted so I bought her and immediately start looking into gunsmiths and ran across some Bill Springfield suggestions on this site as well as looked him up on other sites as well with lots of good things to say about him, and bonus he only lived an hr and a half away!

So I ended up taking the p30 to the range a few times without any modifications, I couldn't really hold tight groups at all at 20yrds the distance I like to shoot at. I noticed the trigger pull on the single action was just a hair to tight (for me) and the gun just ever so slightly would torque the gun because of the amount of pressure I needed to use. I went back a few times wondering if I just need to get used to the new piece but had the identically results the 3 times I went shooting with it.

I finally decided the gun looks like a Ducati but performs like a Honda, meaning not bad in anyway, I just thought it could be that much better, in come Bill Springfield.

So I called Bill up and he was kind enough to talk to me for about 20 mins answering all stupid questions I had about getting the work down without making me feel like an idiot. He was nothing but friendly and I had the feeling he really enjoys not only doing the work but discussing all things guns as well, very cool.

I headed down to the Springs from Denver to Bills house and left the gun with him for about 2 hrs and when I came back everything was complete and felt great. I got home and I probably wasn't seen for at least the next few days while I snap capped the hell out of my new trigger :) Now she's a Ducati!

In total I had the trigger work done, as well as the "accuracy enhancing package" which Bill claimed would tightened up the groups by approximately 25% and the set screw installed which eliminates the over-travel all together and is really just the icing on the cake!

Now I haven't measured the pull since I purchased it, but Bill said it was right around 3 1/3 lbs and my fing-o-meter agrees. I can now take up the slack of the trigger in SA mode to a distinctive breaking point (breaking point is duplicated each and every time, something the original configuration did not do for me) then just a little more pressure and ahhhh...she breaks clean and smooth! No more torquing the gun because of having to place an extra few pounds on the trigger to make it break.
You might have better luck with that than I did, but the new trigger was the solution for me :)

For anyone wondering if it is "safe" to perform this modification, I will say(and again I am no expert) but I myself feel 100% comfortable using this as a daily carry. You have to remember ( at least with the da/sa vs of the P30) after the trigger resets from the DA there is trigger creep up to the the breaking point of the SA pull. You could be wearing thick gloves and put your finger on the trigger and it will still not fire until you take up the slack,this gives you plenty of play to work with. In this instance the 3 and 1/3 lbs refers to the amount of back pressure on the trigger AT breaking point I believe.
I have pulled the trigger so many times (just because I love how it feels :) ) and have tried knocking it around and such and I have come to the conclusion, it will never accidentally go off by having my finger even directly on the trigger, unless I mean to do it.

Took her to the range yesterday and fired in the same manner I have been since I got her new, and besides the trigger now being AWESOME, the groups tightened up noticeably due to I'm assuming a combination of the better trigger control as well as the accuracy package. (Side note : Yes I have fired a $3000 Wilson Combat 1911 trigger and no an HK will NEVER EVER EVER feel as good as a good 1911 trigger. A 1911 trigger is designed differently and can't be duplicated by a "trigger job", so don't expect miracles in that regard)

Sorry lots of words I know, so here is what everyone else always wants... pics.... All shots were taken @ 20 yrds

Here's the first clip out of my gun, (large back / medium sides /rubber universal grip I used this setup each time.

Not so horrible @ 20 yrds but far from "tight" because I suck.

So I went to the range a few more times and it was always the same groups all looked pretty much identical to the first pic.

Now here is after the modifications while shooting as I always do,same ammo, nothing different from my end except for the mods done. Again @ 20 yrds( the 2 shots far left were from previous shots on the backing target, count close.. all 13 are there)

I wanted to try something different so I tried pulling straight through in SA mode past breaking point without taking up the slack first as well as firing a tad faster to see if that would make the groups look more spread out like they did before the modifications, here's what it looked like...still MUCH better than stock. (This is NOT how I originally fired at the first target, and only 10 shots were taking just to test, the one on the center square line was from previous shots on an old target.)

And finally here's the set screw installed. I love how it stops literally at the same time the trigger hits breaking point. And I just like the way it looks :p (but it is functional dont get me wrong)

Here is right on breaking point, duplicated every single time.

I am not affiliated with Bill (or anyone else on this board for that matter)in any way, and I really would have no problems bitching about problems if someone messed things up on my new baby, or even if I believed it not to be worth the money to an already $900+ gun! That being said, if you've been looking into having these things done to your baby, look at the pics draw your own conclusions... and make informed decisions.

Anyways Bill was a great guy in person that also did fantastic work at even a more fantastic price!! I will not hesitate sending Bill every HK style gun I ever purchase in the future.

>Thanks for looking!

-->> And Bill if you see this,THANK YOU!! I lOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I finally decided the gun looks like a Ducati but performs like a Honda.
I'm glad the trigger job has helped you with your accuracy, but the quote above is an indication to me that your next investment should be a professional level training course, and not another "improvement" to the gun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I'm glad your sig and avatar work out for you,but the visual above is an indication to me that your next investment should be a professional level training course, and not another "improvement" to your e-psycho with-a-gun status.

I do however thank you for your attempt at being witty, I received your post while drinking a Miller light while watching Nascar and latter yes I went to Applebees.
I was just trying to encourage a way of thinking about the situation for people like yourself who would say "Why modify an already perfect gun!".
This was intended for people interested in getting this worked performed and trolling the internet trying to find any information they can.
Now yes maybe I should have used a good ol' Americana Harley vs Triumph reference because hey that's really a way to judge a person character type right? Yehaww Harley baby!
However this is obviously not information for know it all internet warriors like yourself it is for the rest of us dumb folk.
Thanks for the advice, you have made me a more knowledgeable person already, all while simultaneously obtaining post #600, congratulations..

P.S. Just one more post before you go to bed bud, we can't leave it at 600 now can we, it'll surely haunt you all day.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are those hogue grips? You evil evil man :). I have the same questions as u can I get the trigger worked on but I believe any no hk work voids the warranty. Yes no maybe so?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow, thanks for the detailed review! I like the accuracy upgrade that I came up with, its simple and effective. I have applied it to my P-30L, various USP's and my Mark 23. I guarantee any trigger related issues, HK has warranted an unrelated issue with a customers pistol from what he mentioned to me.

Bill

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sorry, clearly you don't need any training. Drive on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are those hogue grips? You evil evil man :). I have the same questions as u can I get the trigger worked on but I believe any no hk work voids the warranty. Yes no maybe so?
Hehe almost, their Pachmayer tactical grip gloves actually made for a Glock 17 but seem to work perfectly on the P30. I just like the feel of the rubber texture better than plastic when my hands are starting to get sweaty. I don't know about warranty issues but I do know even if I sent it in for something and they replaced every trigger part back to factory it would just go right back to Bill anyways to modified back.

To those who are obviously far superior shooting gods that say things like "practice more to get better accuracy instead of doing blah blah blah" Well accuracy was obviously improved pretty dramatically after having the work finished without more practice and will surely only get better with time while simultaneously feeling more precise and intuitive feeling in the controls. I believe this to be a better starting point, atleast for me. Others may as well.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
I'm glad the trigger job has helped you with your accuracy, but the quote above is an indication to me that your next investment should be a professional level training course, and not another "improvement" to the gun.
Okay, this is starting to become a routine, but I agree with F-Troop, again.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Well accuracy was obviously improved pretty dramatically after having the work finished without more practice and will surely only get better with time while simultaneously feeling more precise and intuitive feeling in the controls.
Dude, it's a gun, not a woman. Shoot it, clean it, repeat. With all the wasted money on enhancements could have been money well spent on ammo. Besides, why in the hell do a "reliability package" on a gun that's already reliable? It's not a 1911, it's a P30 and they don't need a "fluff and buff." Trigger job, maybe - depends upon individual tolerance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet sweet. O and did I say sweet.... may I ask what holster do you use and what position do u carry?

I found a cheap $15 Blackhawk (not quite sure of model number now) that seems pretty well built with almost a sued like feel to the outside which I find extremely comfortable when using it just off to the right side of my ass, inside waistband under shirt.

Btw one thing worth mentioning on the Pachmayr is it stops the very rough texture of the grip from chaffing your back skin lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Btw alot of whiners on this site! I just intended this for people who were considering getting this done. But I know,geez who customizes guns anyways!! I hope nobody swaps out sights on this "perfect" P30!
I have a Mazda that came with turbo and all wheel drive, God forbid I should put an aftermarket blow off valve, air intake and exhaust on a car that can already in stock form smoke a Charger Hemi RT. Oh wait I did! **** I'm an idiot, not to mention obviously anti American (to a bunch of ******** anyways) with my damn foreign car!
Maybe I should have just used that money for more gas so I could practicing better driving techniques, maybe drag racing wasn't my intent for the mods in the first place.
Form and function, to each their own..

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Btw alot of whiners on this site! I just intended this for people who were considering getting this done. But I know,geez who customizes guns anyways!! I hope nobody swaps out sights on this "perfect" P30!
I have a Mazda that came with turbo and all wheel drive, God forbid I should put an aftermarket blow off valve, air intake and exhaust on a car that can already in stock form smoke a Charger Hemi RT. Oh wait I did! **** I'm an idiot, not to mention obviously anti American (to a bunch of ******** anyways) with my damn foreign car!
Maybe I should have just used that money for more gas so I could practicing better driving techniques, maybe drag racing wasn't my intent for the mods in the first place.
Form and function, to each their own..
Yep, to each their own and I'll reserve comment on the holster.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nobody's whining, and I'm sorry if it feels like guy's are ganging up on you, but when your first post shows a picture of a piss poor 20 yard group, and then a picture of an over-travel screw on a carry gun (an unadvised mod), and then a cheap IWB holster, it's generally an indication that someone is in need of some training. You're clearly trying to run before you can walk. That's not an insult it's just a fact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, to each their own and I'll reserve comment on the holster.
The sales man assured me that I definitely wouldn't need the "Ohio trailer park custom camo finish" for the extra $150 and insisted it wouldn't work.
He went on to explain that if some how I do wonder into that God forbid state, a pair of over-all's, a rusted pick up,and yellowing my teeth should be just fine and a lot less expensive.
How much discount does that "HKPRO Professional" status get you at the local Denny's anyways?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
The sales man assured me that I definitely wouldn't need the "Ohio trailer park custom camo finish" for the extra $150 and insisted it wouldn't work.
He went on to explain that if some how I do wonder into that God forbid state, a pair of over-all's, a rusted pick up,and yellowing my teeth should be just fine and a lot less expensive.
How much discount does that "HKPRO Professional" status get you at the local Denny's anyways?
Oh, so personal - I like it. I hear that GlockTalk is accepting members, perhaps you'll fit in better over there. Your modifications are a joke, your shooting is a bigger joke and the holster, again, no comment. As for my status, typically a free coffee and a clue on how to shoot. Off to research that new "Ohio trailer park custom camo finish" you speak of. Surprised you didn't apply it in hopes of improving your skills. I hear that it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fact is yes the groups were horrible at first and not even "pro" level after mods, but still much better. Now if I start from that point and practice more things should only improve.
But to sit and practice to get the groups that tight from were they were originally without doing mods would have taken a hell of alot longer and it would still look better after the work performed.
I would love to see pictures of all you pro's with your stock compact .40's @ 20 yrds with 13 rounds. How much better are you guys actually shooting bud? 1.5" groups? Yeah right.
Lets see the pics..

·
Registered
729 Posts
This thread's about to get locked any minute now, but before it does you should know that this isn't Glocktalk. There are some guys on here who know what they're talking about and have a great deal of real world experience. Gtmtn is one of them, and if you're going to treat him like he's a ****head then you joined the wrong board. There's some good advice on here and if you weren't so defensive you might actually learn something.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My $0.02 on trigger work...

I shoot a lot, about 10K+ this calender year already... if I can invest a couple hundred (ala Bruce Gray) into a trigger job why not...

With ammo costs, it does not take a lot of ammo to equal the amount of the trigger job. Most of you use your pistol at a fixed range standing and static targets... its not combat duress shooting in the horns of africa...

If you can get such a drammit improvement from a trigger job you have saved some money... now before you say just practice with that $350 bucks and learn the trigger... I partial agree. But shoot a gun with a really crisp light trigger and you will see how it improves accuracy. I see all sorts of people not shoot usp's well then shoot mine and somehow group better. I cannot group as well with my duty gun as I can with range gun.

Yes learn the trigger... or take the short cut to a more accurate pistol and then continue to learn from there, I think you will be further ahead if your mission is range accuracy.

Also my carry and duty guns are not modified, cleaned up yes, worked over no...

My $0.02...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts