HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few months ago I rip my peck in half and tear my tendon in half in the process...this means no more shooting for a while. I took a part my USPf and gave it a good cleaning and sort of forgot about it for a while since I could only pocket carry due to slings and weight limitations, etc,etc. Anyway no Im post surgery and while my arm is still immobilize I can do some things, like put the USP back together. Only problem is the spring was laying on its own in my gun safe and is now curved in one direction from the guide rod weight pressing down on it. Im sure it will still work, but it will also be seriously rubbing against the guide rod every time the gun cycles. So far I have come up with two ideas to fix it:

1. rack the slide and leave it like that overnight - this did nothing
2. lay the recoil spring on the opposite side so it curves the other direction thus making it mostly straight again. - its only been a few hours so I dont know if this will end up working or not
3. admit Im an idiot and run crying to Travis like a sobbing little girl

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine came biased like that from the factory. Never caused a problem, I don't even see any wear marks. When I took the spring out from the capture assembly, it straightened out perfectly. 10,000+ rounds and no failures. The main recoil spring doesn't fully extend, so the spring bowing would be to be expected.

Not an expert, here, just my layman observations.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Leave it alone because it won't make any difference. The stop spring will already rub the sides of the frame. It's not like a 1911 full length guide rod where the spring isn't allow to do anything but travel in a straight line.

Dude, you really need to go do something else to keep you occupied.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it the guide rod runs through it and will straighten it out. Any other rubbing should happen regardless.

On second thought you better send the whole pistol to me too look at:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still cant fix the spring and it is catching on the guide rod when the gun slide is racked. It may not cause a failure, but it certainly isnt helping things. I wonder if this is covered by HK warranty?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont even know how to remove the recoil spring, my manual's are still packed from my move, is that even in there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i think there is a sticky on how to do a detailed strip on the usp around here somewhere.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think there is a sticky on how to do a detailed strip on the usp around here somewhere.
I looked over that, but I didnt see anything about dismantling the guide rod assembly. I may just send the damn thing back to HK, I can shoot it right now anyway. If I send them the part they will probably replace the spring for free (I think?)

·
Registered
280 Posts
And I thought I was anal. JL, you have WAY too much time on your hands. Try working on weak hand shooting while your other one heals. A few loud BOOMS and it will be ok.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno, the spring is catching on the guide rod when I cycle the gun I could see that causing a hiccup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts