HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are wondering just how much our CHF Nitrided barrels can handle. I would like to ask those of you who have the 51k's with our barrels in them to keep track in some informal manner of the number of rounds shot through them. This paticular set up is probably the most abusive on the throat area. Maybe a beta mag test or 2 in a row with a sear. I think it might get a little hot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's not a 51K, but I've been keeping track of the 33K barrel you guys built for me and I've got about 1K through it now. All in F/A

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Well if the price on .308 ammo was about 1/3 of what it currently is, I might think about it. But geeze, at $0.60-$1.00/rnd, that gets kind of expensive. Now if RCM was to supply the ammo, then I'm available. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I'm glad I bought a 33/93 RCM barrel for my Ghillie build.. now all I need is a lot more cash to buy as many new parts for the build as possible

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Since the RCM barrels are easily available (unliked HKs), fairly priced (of course us end buyers would always like you to pay us to take them ;-) and there are several very good HK smiths to install them (present company definitely included), you have reached the point were barrel life is only a few percent of the ammo cost, for worst case, including the installation. Thus by my figuring you have taken most of the barrel worries back out of the equation ... not sure how many of your barrels I have, but is starting to appear they are in nearly every new host I have gotten for the last few years and all are working fine, with the only issue being keeping ammo in them ;-).

Thanks

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Since the RCM barrels are easily available (unliked HKs), fairly priced (of course us end buyers would always like you to pay us to take them ;-) and there are several very good HK smiths to install them (present company definitely included), you have reached the point were barrel life is only a few percent of the ammo cost, for worst case, including the installation. Thus by my figuring you have taken most of the barrel worries back out of the equation ... not sure how many of your barrels I have, but is starting to appear they are in nearly every new host I have gotten for the last few years and all are working fine, with the only issue being keeping ammo in them ;-).

Thanks
You need to buy spares. If I've learned only one thing about the HK stuff, it would be "when quality stuff is cheap, buy several".

I have a couple of Malaysia HK33 kits just laying around with no plans of building new guns out of them. I think I paid about $350 for each. Maybe less. It's been a couple of years so I can't remember. Also got a British G3 kit that I got cheap, and about 700 G3 aluminum mags from CDT for $1 each.

Yeah, I say get some spare barrels. Now that I think of it, my second HK33 kit came with an RCM barrel. I think that made the kit about $100 more. Can't remember the exact price, but figured it was worth it though.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
You need to buy spares. If I've learned only one thing about the HK stuff, it would be "when quality stuff is cheap, buy several".

I have a couple of Malaysia HK33 kits just laying around with no plans of building new guns out of them. I think I paid about $350 for each. Maybe less. It's been a couple of years so I can't remember. Also got a British G3 kit that I got cheap, and about 700 G3 aluminum mags from CDT for $1 each.

Yeah, I say get some spare barrels. Now that I think of it, my second HK33 kit came with an RCM barrel. I think that made the kit about $100 more. Can't remember the exact price, but figured it was worth it though.
If you ever want to sell one of those kits let me know..I do not need a barrel at this point.. and I agree, buy when the parts are cheap and available, cause you never know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts