HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to talk to the detective that handles firearms in my town. Hes really nice and I hand him the application and ask him who do I fill the money orders out to. He says you're already in the system and you just pay when the permits are ready.

Hes like really jolly and everything. Tells me "oh its not going to take long, I'll pull your file and get them done right away." I'm thinking great. Then I remembered I need to get fingerprinted for the FL CCW. So I tell him that I'm applying for a Florida concealed weapons permit. His whole demeanor just changed, smile gone. I was chuckling to myself inside but a part of me was wondering how this was going to go.

Butch: A permit to carry?
Laz: Yes.
Butch: Well I dont know because our print cards got our department information on them.
Laz: Oh they sent me a print card.
Butch: Are you a resident there?
Laz: No.
Butch: You do work down there?
Laz: No but I do alot of traveling to PA, NC, etc and that permit is good in 28 states.
Butch: Oh. I thought you had to be a resident there. I know some of the guys got them because they brought retirement houses down there and up here. Anyways when your permits are ready I can take the prints then.
Laz: Thanks alot.

He must thinks I'm crazy. When I go back I'm going to ask about getting a NJ CCW permit. I dont know him that well but hes cool and I've seen him about permits a couple of times.

On a side note, I saw my friend whose a sgt, at the PD. I'm sitting next to this old lady and hes behind the window, right next to my seat. He asks me what I'm there for and I tell him and hes goes "so how many do you have now?" I tell him six. The lady just looks at me in awe, like shes never sat next to a person that owns a gun.

My friend has a XD9SC and insist that I shoot it before I make a decision so I will take him up on it but I kinda got my mind set.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went to talk to the detective that handles firearms in my town. Hes really nice and I hand him the application and ask him who do I fill the money orders out to. He says you're already in the system and you just pay when the permits are ready.

Hes like really jolly and everything. Tells me "oh its not going to take long, I'll pull your file and get them done right away." I'm thinking great. Then I remembered I need to get fingerprinted for the FL CCW. So I tell him that I'm applying for a Florida concealed weapons permit. His whole demeanor just changed, smile gone. I was chuckling to myself inside but a part of me was wondering how this was going to go.

Butch: A permit to carry?
Laz: Yes.
Butch: Well I dont know because our print cards got our department information on them.
Laz: Oh they sent me a print card.
Butch: Are you a resident there?
Laz: No.
Butch: You do work down there?
Laz: No but I do alot of traveling to PA, NC, etc and that permit is good in 28 states.
Butch: Oh. I thought you had to be a resident there. I know some of the guys got them because they brought retirement houses down there and up here. Anyways when your permits are ready I can take the prints then.
Laz: Thanks alot.

He must thinks I'm crazy. When I go back I'm going to ask about getting a NJ CCW permit. I dont know him that well but hes cool and I've seen him about permits a couple of times.

On a side note, I saw my friend whose a sgt, at the PD. I'm sitting next to this old lady and hes behind the window, right next to my seat. He asks me what I'm there for and I tell him and hes goes "so how many do you have now?" I tell him six. The lady just looks at me in awe, like shes never sat next to a person that owns a gun.

My friend has a XD9SC and insist that I shoot it before I make a decision so I will take him up on it but I kinda got my mind set.

Good luck on the CCW permit. I'm in North Bergen and I'm in for a long run here... I have a lot of credentials also..

I am also getting a FL LTC

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck on the CCW permit. I'm in North Bergen and I'm in for a long run here... I have a lot of credentials also..

I am also getting a FL LTC

Keep us posted.
Yea I saw your other post about getting a NJ CCW. I figure even if get a NJ license its no good anywhere else so you'd need a FL CCW anyway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For the FL CC - make sure that you read the instructions very carefully, and cross every T and dot every i, before you send the application. If it is right the first time, then you MAY get it back reasonably quickly.

If there is something that they have to contact you back on, it goes into the lazy, mentally challenged Florida state workers loop. Getting it resolved after that takes a lot of patience and time.

There is an organization that goes around from place to place at different functions. They bring all of the forms that you need. They help you fill it out, take your pictures, have a LE fingerprint you. Then they send all of the applications in for you. I think that they charge you $25 over the FL costs. It is well worth it. I can not remember the name, if I find out I will post it here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the FL CC - make sure that you read the instructions very carefully, and cross every T and dot every i, before you send the application. If it is right the first time, then you MAY get it back reasonably quickly.

If there is something that they have to contact you back on, it goes into the lazy, mentally challenged Florida state workers loop. Getting it resolved after that takes a lot of patience and time.

There is an organization that goes around from place to place at different functions. They bring all of the forms that you need. They help you fill it out, take your pictures, have a LE fingerprint you. Then they send all of the applications in for you. I think that they charge you $25 over the FL costs. It is well worth it. I can not remember the name, if I find out I will post it here.
I know what you're talking about but the name escapes me as well. Its an organization that wants to make NJ polictians aware theres people here that want CCWs so then help you to get a FL CCW so NJ can see how much money they're losing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am taking the NRA basic class in March at Ray's Sport Shop. From there, I'm going to get the FL CCW.

If you have a FL CCW, does that help your case in NJ? Probably not.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am taking the NRA basic class in March at Ray's Sport Shop. From there, I'm going to get the FL CCW.

If you have a FL CCW, does that help your case in NJ? Probably not.
Nope. When you taking the course? I would like to split one of the sessions with someone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nope. When you taking the course? I would like to split one of the sessions with someone.
Laz, I'm scheduled to take the course on March 12 from 3-7. I don't think splitting it makes it cheaper though. I think they're designed as one on ones. At least that's what I think, because he didn't say anything about a class going on that day. Just a time slot the teacher had open.

You might want to give them a ring.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Laz, I'm scheduled to take the course on March 12 from 3-7. I don't think splitting it makes it cheaper though. I think they're designed as one on ones. At least that's what I think, because he didn't say anything about a class going on that day. Just a time slot the teacher had open.

I have a handout with their different courses and pricing. I dont know which one you signed up for but they have a semi-private course is 3 hours for 2 students. Its $125. Not much saving but a little. I'm going to call the guys that hold courses up at the Bullet Hole as they are a little cheaper, I think $100.

·
Registered
116 Posts

They should be set in classes or one on ones and there shouldn't be any splits but that's up to the instructor.

I do those classes and I would give discounts to friends, etc..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They should be set in classes or one on ones and there shouldn't be any splits but that's up to the instructor.

I do those classes and I would give discounts to friends, etc..
I sent you a PM but you didnt reply. Did you get it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Laz, let me know what you decide about Rays. It would be good to meet someone local. I have a gift cert at Ray's so I'll just do it there vs. Bullethole.

Rob

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Laz, let me know what you decide about Rays. It would be good to meet someone local. I have a gift cert at Ray's so I'll just do it there vs. Bullethole.

Rob
Ok. I'm actually in contact with the guys up at the Bullethole but I have to check their schedule as they arent sure when they will host the class but I will keep in touch.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Boy is he right... I read ALL instructions thoroughly and I can see where someone can screw up.

They DO however send a nice package and I got mine in 3 days. I went to Fed-Ex/Kinko's to have a PP photo taken, had my local PD print me and had the app notarized today. It's off to the races. Both were sent in on the same day and we'll see which one comes back first.

If you do your FL app, etc., ensure the folllowing:

The fingerprint card they send you has clear instructions in the accompanying instruction manual. Make sure to have your local PD (OUTSIDE of FL) put their info on the BACK of the form on the upper right hand side and leave the area on the front that states "employer" and "address" BLANK.

The reason I am stating that is because when you are all ready to go and mail it, well the envelope they provide has "reminder" instructions on the flap. These are OLD instructions and they are in the middle of doing the system over. These instructions tell you to fill out the "employer" and "address" area. LEAVE IT BLANK like the instructions in the BOOKLET state.

I called a supervisor to verify...

·
Registered
148 Posts
hey Laz
how did it take you to get your stuff from Florida? I sent away for me and my brothers package alittle over a month ago and still nothing. I went to the website and checked off what materials I needed and have been waiting ever since. :670:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey Laz
how did it take you to get your stuff from Florida? I sent away for me and my brothers package alittle over a month ago and still nothing. I went to the website and checked off what materials I needed and have been waiting ever since. :670:
I havent sent away yet but I hear it can take a full 90 days for out of state applicants. I think some of that wait is due to the non-electronic prints we take.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts