HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a buddy into shooting local competitions and now he is penciled in for as many as he can go to every month. he started shooting uspsa and picked up a usp in .40 cal to get major power factor. (i demonstrated the lem trigger for him and the lightbulb went off, helped him convert it from v1 to light lem) he now has decided to stick with single stack and is trying to get me to shoot uspsa with him. he is not comfortable with the usp trigger at speed compared to the 1911 so he he said, here you go hk guy. try it, you will probably end up with it anyway. it shoots very well and i really do not notice a difference shooting it in .40 vs my usp9sdcc but i only shoot 9mm and 45! another caliber for competition! what does the collective think?

:wink: blactical tan...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Looks pretty tasty to me...but I'm an unrepentant .40 addict...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I just traded away my USP 40 cuz I am trying to stick to 9mm and .45. But that one right there might make me second guess myself. That's a sweet package.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Not really a .40S&W fan either but that's a sweet USP! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, custom combat converted to light lem. holster and pouches are from zero concealment systems, they make a sick quad pouch setup and a pistol/magpul ar mag combo pouch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
.40 is where it's at! Why have 2 calibers when you can get the best of both of those in just 1? And that's a pretty lookin USP!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd take it. Also if you don't want it I'm sure I know someone who would take it off your hands. Free of charge as well.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i understand that shot placement is key and 9mm sd ammo performs equal to or better than .40 and .45. i would use this as a competition gun mostly and part time carry in the rotation. in uspsa i gather there is a slight advantage with a major power factor. this also has only two less rounds than my usp9sdcc so the capacity is not a big issue. recoil management is not an issue either, it feels virtually identical to my 9mm. one thing i can say is when ammo was being bought up in quantity last election time .40 ammo was available everywhere.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
yes, custom combat converted to light lem. holster and pouches are from zero concealment systems, they make a sick quad pouch setup and a pistol/magpul ar mag combo pouch.
Now all you need is the overtravel screw, match flat spring, match hammer spring and P2000 TRS and you're all set. Mine are in the mail as we speak and are going into a similar stainless (thanks again hkmanlp1) USP40 that I'm going to try and shoot in Limited Major and see what comes of it. Nice grab.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If your goal is to play the game, then play the game. Yes, for Limited and Limited-10 Divisions, you need to shoot a .40 to be competitive. But keep in mind that you will be shooting against people using full custom 2011s made for the sport, and although the USP is a great gun, you are going to be in a hole right out of the gate compared to them as far as trigger and mag capacity. But don't let that stop you from going and having a great time, and bettering your skills--the gun will work just fine. You may consider shooting Lim-10, where at least you won't have a capacity disadvantage compared to the 2011s.

Another option, if you don't want to add another caliber to your stable, is to use a USP 9 or P30L and shoot Production Division. Everyone is scored minor, regardless of what caliber they are shooting, and the platform is a little more competitive in that Division.

Regardless, good on you for going out and doing it, but be careful--it's addictive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree 100% with Razzman1, I shoot 40 in my expert, I love the gone and I do very well, but there is a HUGE difference when you grab a 2011. Then again take an expert and multiple by 3 for price and there really better be!!!

I love shooting my P30 9mm in production, its far more competitive.

BUT is you are just shooting to build skill and have fun at local matches, the USP40 will be plenty competetive. Its not until you get into the upper ranges that I think you will start to really see any difference.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I do shoot my P30 9mm in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP and it's great. The USP in limited thing was just a departure from the norm and a way for me to blow off some steam and have some fun doing something different. Like you say, If I ever want to make a serious run at it I'll shoot 9mm in production or it's 2011 time for all the reasons mentioned above. That and the fact that you can't find a decent Limited holster for the USP......

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
My all time fastest shooting pistol is a BHP 9MM. Once earned the handle "machine gun" by the owners at a range we frequented.. for my rate of fire and accuracy with it and full power handloads. I also like 40 and 45 and have several.. the 40 is snappier than the other two calibers and that will slow you down a bit, but it is a good self defense caliber. I guess i would say shoot what feels best to you and what you shoot best, caliber and gun make

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Personally, I say pass on the deal. The cost for practice ammunition is not worth it, unless you "must" shoot Limited or Limited 10. Shooting Limited with a USP is like trying to be a competitive Olympic gymnast as a quadriplegic. "Just ain't gonna happen." I had to come to a similar realization with myself, trying to run a DA/SA at sanctioned and regional matches. I was limiting myself so I moved on to another platform.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i shoot a USPt 40 in IPSC standard division. I found out u could get it close to like 90% of an STI edge. I like the match trigger better than a combat competition conversion i did, because the latter had a more "creepy" break. I converted to a V9 and i use an HK45 safety lever which i think is very important addition. the .40 bottoms out the 2 spring recoil system a lot better than a 9mm, allowing for more consistency. When i changed to a 10 LB recoil spring - even better, it's starting to feel incredibly close to a 2011. to my setup, add fiber optic sights and a bruce gray trigger job and you should be very competitive. Montrala has instructions how to increase mag capacity to 18 or 19.maybe an extended mag release to top it up. even custom rail mounted weights maybe. I made class B with this gun in 1 year, and i shot 75% of a GM a few days ago - this is after my recoil spring change. My jet funnel mags are the next to be modded. i like the match trigger how it is already since i use a long slapping trigger stroke anyway, and we dont have a bruce gray locally.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I shoot 9 and .45 also...i would also pass for all the reason's gt said in his post.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i make no assumptions about being top tier if i start shooting uspsa, it will be to hang out with a group of guys who are starting to form an informal team/group/bunch. the usp .40 is another tool to use, especially since it surprised me with how well it shoots, probably for the reasons Blazer-6 stated. in addition it is a somewhat harder to find custom combat usp variation. if i shoot it in the next couple weeks and decide it wont perform for me, someone else would be happy to give it a home.

what is the problem is that it is starting to grow on me and i am having second thoughts about my usp9sd cc.

i have to think long and hard about if am i going to get a suppressor...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have over the past couple years tried other calibers and really gave it an open mind... But .45 always feels like coming home.

As Blitz said. Find what feels comfortable to you and what you can shoot accurately and be comfortable with. The advantage of having less calibers is that the ammo is easier to stock up on. 1 case of .45 will feed most of my guns :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts